Another Mediocre CE Flight

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I do not pretend to speak for anyone but myself. I do not persist, I actively seek because I love having the space next to me free. I couldn't care less about the leg room as I am not built like a hippopotamus despite my husband's urging to the contrary. I enjoy the service, am rarely disappointed by the meal as the portions are perfectly adequate, and I love the Champagne.

The crew, I think, got the service order wrong. The meal should be delivered and the bar served afterwards. I and many others here have watched this happen on MAN - LHR which is a hop and a skip as there is no time for the jump.

These may mean nothing to you, but they do to me.
By all means, please continue to enjoy it - there are many that clearly do. However, for me, leg room trumps all else - including a little bit of fizz and a mass-produced panini - so I'll continue to save money/Avois whenever I find myself on a BA shorthaul service.

As they say, size matters
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:58 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rossmacd

As they say, size matters

Oh yes - I forgot - there's all those Tier Points and Avios as well. Collect not spend
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Another experience. I am fairly disappointed even though I had low expectations. 6 rows of CE (but only 17pax) and when I ordered a G&T (sat in 1D) I was told to wait until everyone had their meal and got water instead(!). It was a 1h10min flight. To be fair the CSM was alone in Club and very apologetic. She seemed experienced so I dont get it really. Unfortunately, she then (after the meals were served) proceeded to serve wine and champagne to passengers in the back and I was the last one to get my drink and the glass wasnt even full. Nuts were not loaded either... Ordered another G&T later on and had to wait for 10 minutes for it to be served. This has never happened to me, and I have been on busier/shorter flights...
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:30 am
Suspended

On the shortest flights, there's only a certain number of passengers that can receive an acceptable CE service from one crew member, it's something that should be defined and then adhered to.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by florens
Another experience. I am fairly disappointed even though I had low expectations. 6 rows of CE (but only 17pax) and when I ordered a G&T (sat in 1D) I was told to wait until everyone had their meal and got water instead(!). It was a 1h10min flight. To be fair the CSM was alone in Club and very apologetic. She seemed experienced so I dont get it really. Unfortunately, she then (after the meals were served) proceeded to serve wine and champagne to passengers in the back and I was the last one to get my drink and the glass wasnt even full. Nuts were not loaded either... Ordered another G&T later on and had to wait for 10 minutes for it to be served. This has never happened to me, and I have been on busier/shorter flights...
How many cabin crew on this flight ? She could have asked another crewmember to assist if available and reasonable, but otherwise I'm struggling to understand why serving 17 customers on a 70 minute flight was such a struggle. It requires a little organisation on the ground to be sure. It then requires the crewmember to get up promptly after take off, take out a combined food/drinks trolley into the cabin and get going. It's definitely achievable.

If the CSM was under any doubt as to her ability to deliver the service in CE she should have considered asking a colleague for assistance.
nivsy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Given that CSMs should have plenty experience of operating the MAN route, which is something like 40 minutes in the air, I can't really see what went wrong here, 17 in CE should be complicated. However what we don't know is if something else went wrong (e.g. oven failing, hot water flow, trays in the wrong place). I would write in to register a complaint. If you feel strongly about this you could think about a part refund of whatever you spent on CE, though that may take some effort.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:41 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Bar Operator

How many cabin crew on this flight ? She could have asked another crewmember to assist if available and reasonable, but otherwise I'm struggling to understand why serving 17 customers on a 70 minute flight was such a struggle. It requires a little organisation on the ground to be sure. It then requires the crewmember to get up promptly after take off, take out a combined food/drinks trolley into the cabin and get going. It's definitely achievable.

If the CSM was under any doubt as to her ability to deliver the service in CE she should have considered asking a colleague for assistance.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Given that CSMs should have plenty experience of operating the MAN route, which is something like 40 minutes in the air, I can't really see what went wrong here, 17 in CE should be complicated. However what we don't know is if something else went wrong (e.g. oven failing, hot water flow, trays in the wrong place). I would write in to register a complaint. If you feel strongly about this you could think about a part refund of whatever you spent on CE, though that may take some effort.
Thanks for your comments.

It was an A319 and there were 3 cabin crew. One of the cabin crew did the hot towel / landing card run after departure while the CSM prepared the trolley. The CSM got up right after takeoff and worked quickly IMO. It was an afternoon tea flight so the ovens were not needed. It didn't look like she had trouble locating the items in the trolleys. I did notice, however, that she tried to deliver the pilot's meals twice. The first time they didn't open the door to the cockpit so she had to put the trays back and start the service with 1A (trolley brought to the aisle). After that she put the trolley back to door 1L for the second attempt to get to the cockpit.. Then she continued the service with 1F (!) and then me in 1D.

I might complain but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Two G&T's on such a short flight is pretty good going. If I'd ordered a second the wife would be asking questions.
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Two G&T's on such a short flight is pretty good going. If I'd ordered a second the wife would be asking questions.
3 is standard offer on a LHR-LBA and thats a very short flight. Never ever less than 2.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Exec
Thanks for your comments.

It was an A319 and there were 3 cabin crew. One of the cabin crew did the hot towel / landing card run after departure while the CSM prepared the trolley. The CSM got up right after takeoff and worked quickly IMO. It was an afternoon tea flight so the ovens were not needed. It didn't look like she had trouble locating the items in the trolleys. I did notice, however, that she tried to deliver the pilot's meals twice. The first time they didn't open the door to the cockpit so she had to put the trays back and start the service with 1A (trolley brought to the aisle). After that she put the trolley back to door 1L for the second attempt to get to the cockpit.. Then she continued the service with 1F (!) and then me in 1D.

I might complain but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
Thanks for the info.

Still not sure what was going through her mind, flightcrew service shouldn't have really had any impact. This is all speculation of course, but with afternoon tea it may have been worth putting some alcoholic beverages and soft drinks on top/inside the trolley. It sounds like she was expecting everyone to only ask for what she had taken out on her trolley (tea/coffee/water/juice maybe a bottle of bubbly).

Clearly your mistake was to ask for a drink she hadn't anticipated would be requested. 😜

Having said that, G&T is one of the most heavily requested drinks, especially in CE....

Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
For efficient service on a short flight, try a BACF route like LCY-AMS, with a single person handlling CE and one handling ET!
Those guys and girls get my respect every time.
Sealink and florens like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by furryman
For efficient service on a short flight, try a BACF route like LCY-AMS, with a single person handlling CE and one handling ET!
Those guys and girls get my respect every time.
I'm worried that when M&S finally hits BACF we'll lose the excellent CE service as surely the CE person will have to help out in economy once they've done handing out the food.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:46 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It can be so hit and miss, which in an odd way brings an excited sense of anticipation of not knowing whether service will be awful or stellar.
Recently, I flew to MAD in CE on a 789 and despite the cabin being 1/2 full and with seemingly a full set of crew, several of us in the front section of 'CW' were completely forgotten in meal delivery (I waited 20 min before asking once I realised those that had been served were having trays cleared). It was suggested that I might have been in the toilet at the time of service but I explained that wasn't the case. There were a couple of other interactions which left me puzzled, including the crew member saying they would have to check if they had any champagne when I asked for a glass (clearly, they didn't even know that champagne is offered in CE) and also when I asked for another glass soon after the '40 min to landing announcement' by the flight deck, the same crew member said 'I think the bars may be closed, but I'll check' (I did get a top up). I was tempted to have a moan to CS upon returning home, but the return service by the CSM (done single handedly) on a 4 row CE on the A319 was spectacularly good, so I ended up letting go of the poor outbound flight and awarded the CSM on the inbound flight a golden ticket.
Sealink and florens like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Executive club
Flew LHR to MAN Saturday evening on what can only be described as a shambles of a flight.
The young crew were clueless and no one from row 6 back got a drink in CE.
The young girl who was leading the team stopped serving drinks at row 4 to go and offer bread rolls. It was so dissapointing as when on the flight down we had a great crew.
At least on Ryanair they work hard selling you F&B onboard, this crew were in a daze just slowly serving drinks 2 at a time from the galley.
I have sent in a complaint but I expect I will just get fobbed off.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Was it the same person? That's awful. Particularly galling as its Belfast and I want people to have good experiences flying to/from my home city!

Touch wood I won't experience something like that. I've flown MAN-LHR and LGW-JER and never had to wait for a drink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.