Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA891 09Nov17 (SOF-LHR) - what a shambles !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

We came back from Sofia on Thursday's BA891. I have never witnessed such a shambles on a Western airline

The load was very high and baggage Jenga was in full swing. The cabin crew (including the senior member) were pitching in to help, so far so good.

About 9 or 10 pax were still standing in the aisle, and a number of overhead lockers were still open, when I realised pushback had started ! A few seconds later, so did the senior CC and she hustled to the front for a phone call with (I assume) the captain. Clearly the answer she got was along the lines of "don't worry" as we carried on pushing back all the way to the taxiway... with crew rushing up and down, shoving bags into any available space and slamming shut the lockers.

Finally, with everyone sitting down, the safety video was shown and CC did the walkthrough.

A couple of problems with this: we were in an exit row and we didn't get any interaction from the crew regarding this; more importantly, the guy sitting next to me was on his laptop throughout the whole briefing and taxi-out, only putting it away as the engines spooled up.

So that's 3 separate safety-related failures in one flight.

Feedback duly sent to BA - if I don't get a sensible reply, I am seriously considering notifying the CAA.

Very poor show all round
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:55 am

QR 1, BA 0

Hopefully you get a reasoned response from BA, and some action is taken against the crew. But I fear you may need to escalate based on previous reports here.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Not sure this is really such a big issue or that unusual - I'd rather get away on time.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Aside from the lack of interaction about the operation of the exit (which I personally see as no big deal given it is in the safety video), what exactly was wrong that warrants such a dramatic title?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:06 am

This is situation normal on some airlines in particular geographies....

Certainly does not warrant a complaint to BA.
wonderman and argonath like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:12 am

You must have an easy life if this shocked you so much.

Enjoy it!
Dan72 and Horizons99 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Aside from the lack of interaction about the operation of the exit (which I personally see as no big deal given it is in the safety video), what exactly was wrong that warrants such a dramatic title?
Not anymore unfortunately.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:24 am

I too, after the build up in the Qatar trip report thread and now the exciting title, can't help but to feel disappointed.
Horizons99 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:55 am

If this was the worst the OP has seen then he/she clearly doesn't travel much.

No doubt there was some pressure on slot times and the pilot anxious to get a full load to their destination on time.

Seems the other passenger had their laptop off for take off in any case so I don't see what the big deal is.
Horizons99 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by simons1
If this was the worst the OP has seen then he/she clearly doesn't travel much.
I’d tend to agree but the OP’s handle says GGL 😁
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:03 am

Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of the word "shambles."
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
So basically standard operation procedure wasn't followed out, not sure if it was shambles , but not good none the less.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So how did the rest of the flight go.....I take it your QR GGL status was totally ignored by the crew?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
So how did the rest of the flight go.....I take it your QR GGL status was totally ignored by the crew?
Does it not get rather boring commenting on poster's decisions to fly other airlines?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by 710 77345
QR 1, BA 0
Well, that must surely beat the record for "fewest elapsed minutes before a gratuitous comparison with QR is shamelessly crowbarred into a BA thread"....

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Does it not get rather boring... ?
Do we really have to have the same posters keep interrupting new threads with the same stuff that we've heard time and time and time again ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.