FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios booking with INV connection added after- query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1876823-avios-booking-inv-connection-added-after-query.html)

Fluzz Nov 10, 2017 7:46 am

Avios booking with INV connection added after- query

Hello all. Before BA gets back to me I'd like to get opinions here.

I wanted to book a flight INV-LHR LGW-MCO using my 241. At the time I logged on to do so the phone lines were not accepting calls as they were too busy. In order to not lose the long haul reward seats I booked them on their own.

On calling at a later date to add on the domestic connection I expected the taxes to recalulate to reflect the lack of APD when flying from INV, resulting in a refund by my calculations of approx £276. However the agent calculated them at an extra £17 each instead. When I explained the situation it was a, "tough, this is what I've calculated them at, I don't know what to tell you" type scenario. Wondering if I'd made an error somewhere, I booked a domestic from ABZ instead which is slightly more convenient, but we were willing to have a short extra drive in order to save £276in APD! The ABZ flights came out at an extra £12 in tax each.

My question is- am I in the wrong here? It doesn't seem fair that if I had been able to book online I could have had my Inverness flight and paid the lower tax, or am I misunderstanding something somewhere?

Thanks in advance for thoughts!

chris1922Mk2 Nov 10, 2017 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Fluzz (Post 29044044)
Hello all. Before BA gets back to me I'd like to get opinions here.

I wanted to book a flight INV-LGW LHR-MCO using my 241. At the time I logged on to do so the phone lines were not accepting calls as they were too busy. In order to not lose the long haul reward seats I booked them on their own.

On calling at a later date to add on the domestic connection I expected the taxes to recalulate to reflect the lack of APD when flying from INV, resulting in a refund by my calculations of approx £276. However the agent calculated them at an extra £17 each instead. When I explained the situation it was a, "tough, this is what I've calculated them at, I don't know what to tell you" type scenario. Wondering if I'd made an error somewhere, I booked a domestic from ABZ instead which is slightly more convenient, but we were willing to have a short extra drive in order to save £276in APD! The ABZ flights came out at an extra £12 in tax each.

My question is- am I in the wrong here? It doesn't seem fair that if I had been able to book online I could have had my Inverness flight and paid the lower tax, or am I misunderstanding something somewhere?

Thanks in advance for thoughts!

Do you mean INV-LHR LGW-MCO ?

The best thing to do is HUACA, hang up and call again. I'm sure someone else will be long shortly with better and more information though.

For what it's worth I'd agree with your assumption.

Fluzz Nov 10, 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2 (Post 29044081)
Do you mean INV-LHR LGW-MCO ?

The best thing to do is HUACA, hang up and call again. I'm sure someone else will be long shortly with better and more information though.

For what it's worth I'd agree with your assumption.

Indeed, I muddled the order of the London airports. Edited post now, thanks.

I wondered about that but it's such a devil to get through and I'm too meek to argue with a call agent :D:rolleyes:

corporate-wage-slave Nov 10, 2017 8:22 am

Ask them to send it down to the Fares team for calculation.

You could alternatively do a dummy booking on a revenue booking (or a redemption booking without a 2-4-1) and investigate the differences.

Alternatively get the breakdown - there should about 8 lines of charges - and share the details here.

Fluzz Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Well to provide an update in case it helps anyone else searching- when I called to book my return flight the agent said it looked as if it would have been considerably more economical to fly from INV. On calling back the next day to finalise (domestic flight was +1 day so had to be booked the day after I snagged the return long haul flights), they quoted Inverness for me and the saving was significant. They then slapped a charge fee on which I explained I was not happy to pay, given the only reason I booked ABZ was due to incorrect info. They took the day to check what I was saying and ended up satisfied I was given the wrong info in error so they waived the change fee. Happy days. Took a while but cannot fault anyone I spoke to after the first quite brusque lady that wouldn't listen to me explaining the APD issue.