Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus has 'no plans' to rejoin oneworld [proposes entering JV with AA/BA etc]

Aer Lingus has 'no plans' to rejoin oneworld [proposes entering JV with AA/BA etc]

Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

I came across a very interesting article this morning which appears to contradict the noises from Willie Walsh when IAG purchased Aer Lingus.

'Aer Lingus has "no plans" to rejoin the Oneworld global airline alliance, CEO Stephen Kavanagh has said. ... However, Mr Kavanagh said that Aer Lingus continues to work towards joining the existing alliance between British Airways and American Airlines.

"We believe… that we can bring more choice to the market place and grow in connected businesses without compromising any of our existing businesses or the consumer," he said. "We're about building cost efficiency and capacity."'

I thought it strange there was no mention of EI joining oneworld in the recent IAG Capital Markets Day presentation, now we know why.

Source: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36320589.html
Calchas and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
By the 'existing alliance between BA and AA' I wonder if they mean the JV (but if so it also includes IB and AY)? It's disappointing and I hope there is another way through which EI flights will be made to count towards status qualification on BAEC and get full lounge access rights.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes @orbitmic, I too read that to be a reference to the JV. This is very disappointing news, if it has been reported correctly.

USA Today has this:

'Now, however, Aer Lingus' appears to have put oneworld membership on the back burner while it instead prioritizes entering into the trans-Atlantic joint-venture partnership currently in place between American, British Airways, Iberia and Finnair.

The joint venture allows those carriers to closely coordinate schedules, sell seats and share revenue on each other’s flights across the Atlantic. Typically, reciprocal frequent-flier benefits are offered as well, which presumably would extend to Aer Lingus if it becomes part of the joint-venture set-up.

"Aer Lingus has been focused on joining the transatlantic joint business," IAG said in a statement to Today in the Sky on Wednesday. "These processes take time and at this stage the airline hasn’t developed a detailed business case on oneworld given its priority for joint business entry."'

ISource: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rld/865526001/
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:39 pm

I read this to mean that eventually Aer Lingus will join oneworld, just not right now. Once the transatlantic joint venture is sorted, a number of the IT & frequent flyer barriers to joining OW will be gone making entry easier
lostinlondon likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I read this to mean that eventually Aer Lingus will join oneworld, just not right now. Once the transatlantic joint venture is sorted, a number of the IT & frequent flyer barriers to joining OW will be gone making entry easier
The wording used by EI's CEO was explicit "no plans". Willie Walsh had previously stated EI would join oneworld (likely in 2017 or early 2018) but if there are no plans that clearly isn't going to happen any time soon. It appears strategy/focus has changed at EI/IAG.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The wording used by EI's CEO was explicit "no plans". Willie Walsh had previously stated EI would join oneworld (likely in 2017 or early 2018) but if there are no plans that clearly isn't going to happen any time soon. It appears strategy/focus has changed at EI/IAG.
When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

We have given up all hope at this stage...

It is not clear why there are no reciprocal arrangements in place yet, at least with BA.

Apparently (re-)joining OW is also a prerequisite for joining the JV. Completely confused.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Didn't Walsh a few years ago state that he thought airline alliances were on the way out and the future lay in JVs and bilateral agreements?

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/emirates-iag-ceos-question-future-airline-alliances/

Predicted airline alliances would not be around in the future.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus
When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?

We have given up all hope at this stage...

It is not clear why there are no reciprocal arrangements in place yet, at least with BA.

Apparently (re-)joining OW is also a prerequisite for joining the JV. Completely confused.
Given the comments of the EI CEO in the OP, that appears a very sensible position. It is all rather confusing...
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I guess that the costs of joining OW far exceeds the benefits for AI if they join the JV.

They could still get into some "partnership" for the FFP as suggested below, but I do not know what this will mean:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/aer-lingus-...-join-oneworld
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I guess that the costs of joining OW far exceeds the benefits for AI if they join the JV.

They could still get into some "partnership" for the FFP as suggested below, but I do not know what this will mean:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/aer-lingus-...-join-oneworld
The text flowing on from the ‘Previous’ heading in that article appears old text, IIRC it quotes comments made by Willie Walsh back in 2016. David Flynn is a member here (I hope you’re keeping well, David ^) so hopefully he will clarify.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
We have "no plans" for Brexit but are still pressing on with it (allegedly).

All just words - there are no plans until there are plans. However as the CEO says, cost is a key factor so if joining OW would push that up they may not be interested.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
S Kavanagh on the local radio this morning announcing the new Dublin-Seattle route stated that the "airline has never been more profitable." With more transatlantic routes than ever and good LF's maybe the urgency has gone out of OW and JV entry as not being in them does not seem a barrier to growth at the moment. When the fleet is expanded with the A321-NEO's maybe the uplift from OW will be more important then. I also imagine the fact that AerClub functionality is still struggling and that there is no time plan in place to allow capture earnings on partner airlines they are probably a long way off having the FFP functionality that would be required by OW.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:41 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Worcester
Didn't Walsh a few years ago state that he thought airline alliances were on the way out and the future lay in JVs and bilateral agreements?

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/emirates-iag-ceos-question-future-airline-alliances/

Predicted airline alliances would not be around in the future.
Maybe Richard Branson will go double or nothing on that bet to kick him in the testicles over his predictions Virgin Atlantic was finished within 5 years.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I thought it strange there was no mention of EI joining oneworld in the recent IAG Capital Markets Day presentation, now we know why.

Source: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36320589.html
As I noted over in the EI forum, it was never Aer Lingus' idea to join oneworld, so Stephen Kavanagh is neither the progenitor, nor the ultimate arbiter, of the decision.

His expression of desire to enter the JV, however, means that EI *has* to join the alliance. The anti-trust immunity is only granted to members of the alliance, so alliance membership is (currently) a pre-requisite for participation in the JV.

(If EI could fully participate in the JV without the need to go through oneworld, you can be pretty sure that they would already be co-operating/participitating in this manner).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:19 am

I note that there is a difference between 'no plan' and 'no intention'. The UK government comes into mind....
Snuggs likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.