Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Alex Cruz at TLV Celebrating 85 Years of BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alex Cruz at TLV Celebrating 85 Years of BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mec72
I think Monarch used to (or was about to start flights from LTN to Eilat) - it is an interesting destination, particularly because it's so close to Petra and Wadi Rum.
Monarch flew weekly from LTN to OVDa. OVDa is international entry point to the South of Israel it would seem. The airport in the center of Eilat does not accept international flights and Ovda is about an hour away by ground transport.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bonzo
Monarch flew weekly from LTN to OVDa. OVDa is international entry point to the South of Israel it would seem. The airport in the center of Eilat does not accept international flights and Ovda is about an hour away by ground transport.
OVD is an airforce base that also handle civil flights to ETH. Once Ramon airport opens all flights to Eilat will go there and the small airfield within the city will be demolished; the new airport is only 19km north of Eilat.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
OVD is an airforce base that also handle civil flights to ETH. Once Ramon airport opens all flights to Eilat will go there and the small airfield within the city will be demolished; the new airport is only 19km north of Eilat.
OVD Airport is actually a civilian airport in near Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mec72
I think Monarch used to (or was about to start flights from LTN to Eilat) - it is an interesting destination, particularly because it's so close to Petra and Wadi Rum.
It's a very interesting option for a short break, but most who are visiting Petra, fly into TLV, drive by to the Dead Sea, and then onto Petra - because it's a pretty easy drive to do.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I had several Jewish friends at school back in the 60's and their families often holidayed in Eilat. I've no idea how they used to get there from Glasgow though.
I dare say I'm friends with the sons/daughters of some of the Glaswegian Jews you were at school with! It's a small world!

For those discussing the seasonality of Eilat, it's worth noting that Eilat gets pretty hot. Now, that sounds stupid I appreciate, but it makes it a pretty quiet place to visit during June-August.

However, Eilat over Passover (April) and Succot (September/October) is hugely popular. As such, a seasonal routing would potentially be a tough one to work out, because the season would need to run from September-April, when most of the schedules run October-March.

I'd personally be quite surprised if the route launched, especially from LGW. However, if STN or LTN were options to Eilat, then at least the airports would be within reach of the communities in North-West London.

M
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
In the last two years the Israel Ministry of Tourism put a lot of money in order to get as many airlines to fly to Eilat by means of heavy subsidisation. However, it turned out that many pax fly to Eilat but have their holiday in Aqaba as it is much cheaper...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
When I worked for LY we sold seasonal non-stop flights LHR-VDA as well as connections through TLV. They even took me for a week long fam-trip, where we flew into VDA and out of ETH. The flight up to TLV before ours was a group of BA cabin crew in uniform; they had been staying in ETH instead of TLV.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I dare say I'm friends with the sons/daughters of some of the Glaswegian Jews you were at school with! It's a small world!
I dare say you are. I knew so many I felt more Jewish than Protestant!!
Never got the same time off school for religious holidays that they got more's the pity.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I dare say you are. I knew so many I felt more Jewish than Protestant!!
Never got the same time off school for religious holidays that they got more's the pity.
Making the world somewhat smaller, I suspect we went to the same school a few decades apart, and I would likely have some mutual friends with @msm2000uk.

More OT, visiting Eliat and Petra would be a great trip, would love to do it.
HIDDY and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Anbassador’s Residence

Originally Posted by makin'miles
There are a number of European carriers that fly into Eilat seasonally, including some not seen at TLV, such as SAS. A new airport will open within about six months, and tourist arrivals are expected to significantly increase. The border crossing at Eilat-Aqaba is also likely the easiest one into Jordan, so its a good jumping off point for trips into southern Jordan as well. That said, I'd be extremely surprised if it was anything but a short-haul aircraft.

In terms of the event, I also attended - it was indeed very relaxed, and Cruz has a good sense of humour. I'm only a Gold (not GGL), but generally just fly Club. Perhaps I have a good enough CIV to make the cut .

Interestingly, 85 years ago the first flight from London was on a flying boat that landed in the Sea of Galilee - and it took 20 hours!
David Quarrey’s residence is fabulous - I co-hosted a quintessentially English afternoon tea for 100 people there last week.

I was also due to fly home from Ovda to Luton last night on Monarch with 21 other passengers. BA were amazing and re-booked all of us for £100 pp to London. Crew were amazing too and brought us drinks from the First galley throughout the flight.

Lord Rothschild was also onboard last night heading home from a Balfour Event at the Knesset.

Haven’t flown BA Y for years longhaul but Service was amazing both ways - they went above and beyond
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's a very interesting option for a short break, but most who are visiting Petra, fly into TLV, drive by to the Dead Sea, and then onto Petra - because it's a pretty easy drive to do.

For those discussing the seasonality of Eilat, it's worth noting that Eilat gets pretty hot. Now, that sounds stupid I appreciate, but it makes it a pretty quiet place to visit during June-August.

However, Eilat over Passover (April) and Succot (September/October) is hugely popular. As such, a seasonal routing would potentially be a tough one to work out, because the season would need to run from September-April, when most of the schedules run October-March.

I'd personally be quite surprised if the route launched, especially from LGW. However, if STN or LTN were options to Eilat, then at least the airports would be within reach of the communities in North-West London.

M
Having been in Eilat this past August, it is hot, but hardly quiet. Our hotel was full and the city was rather crowded. Not cheap either!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Was there any discussion with Mr. Cruz about why the heck their fares from TLV are so high compared to other carriers? In many cases $400-500 higher R/T than Easyjet to LTN?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NYTA
Was there any discussion with Mr. Cruz about why the heck their fares from TLV are so high compared to other carriers? In many cases $400-500 higher R/T than Easyjet to LTN?
I suppose it's because they can. If they are filling their aircraft there's no incentive to lower fares.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by NYTA
No to be honest. EasyJet are a low cost airline flying to LTN, so really don't see the point in asking Mr Cruz why their fares are higher...

Having said that, I've seen EasyJet's prices a fair bit higher than BA's at times.
BA's prices are often very competitive especially in Biz and especially further afield.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting to Eilat from the UK in February? With a family member with limited mobility, so ideally would avoid long layovers, changing airport in TLV etc.

It seems very difficult to get a single ticket itinerary, and ITA matrix can't seem to cope.

Family member seems to think it'll be a walk in the park, so any advice I can suggest as an alternative (perhaps spending a couple of days in TLV first?) would be gratefully received!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Try the charters, Thomas Cook have been known to run LTN to VDA before now, often en route to TLV. In fact taking that route a few years ago quite a few of the TLV passengers were unaware there was another stop first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.