Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Alex Cruz at TLV Celebrating 85 Years of BA

Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Alex Cruz was in TLV on Wednesday celebrating the 85th anniversary of the London-Tel Aviv route. The only real "news" are that we might see in the future flights between LGW and Eilat.

Here is a report in The Times of Israel
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:20 pm

"100 year old IT" sounds about right !!
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Mazal tov
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Eilat continues to be a very attractive destination in the Mediterranean, he (AC) added.

I'm hoping that Cruz leaves route planning to those with a better sense of geography...
Ldnn1, Worcester, RDinJER and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
The only real "news" are that we might see in the future flights between LGW and Eilat.
Eilat sounds like a fun place to visit, though presumably that would be on a short haul aircraft? In that case might be less tempting...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A few airlines have talked about flying from London to Eilat in the past, but purely on a seasonal basis; and I'm using the word 'seasonal' loosely!

Running it for more than a few months a year, would be too costly in my view.

M
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Some of us TLV based GGLs were invited to a very relaxed reception with Mr Cruz last night at the British Ambassador's home.

Lovely evening, and we really enjoyed chatting to him (and got plenty of time for that too), he's a really nice and funny guy.

Last edited by clubman; Nov 10, 2017 at 5:19 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Some of us TLV based GGLs were invited to a very relaxed reception with Mr Cruz last night at the British Ambassador's home.
Just out of curiosity how many TLV based GGLs would you estimate there are, and how many were at the event?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A few airlines have talked about flying from London to Eilat in the past, but purely on a seasonal basis; and I'm using the word 'seasonal' loosely!
M
I think Monarch used to (or was about to start flights from LTN to Eilat) - it is an interesting destination, particularly because it's so close to Petra and Wadi Rum.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A few airlines have talked about flying from London to Eilat in the past,M
I had several Jewish friends at school back in the 60's and their families often holidayed in Eilat. I've no idea how they used to get there from Glasgow though.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Just out of curiosity how many TLV based GGLs would you estimate there are, and how many were at the event?
@Ldnn1 - Well it's not an estimate... but an actual number (for GGLs anyway).

I can confirm there are currently 97 GGLs with Israel based BAEC accounts and of those there are less than 20 CCRs.

The event was very intimate last night, where a few of us had 2x ~25mins conversation with Alex Cruz who was very amenable to our constructive comments around various aspects of ground service, on board service and other club based queries/clarifications/suggestions.

There were around 40 of us all together at the event but going by the list at the entrance door, there should have probably been around 100 or thereabouts.

I have to say - when you meet Alex Cruz in person and get that much face time with him - as @clubman says, he's a really nice and funny chap.

The evening was supposed to finish @ 9pm yet we were still in deep conversation pushing 9.30pm.

All in all it was a pleasant and enjoyable experience.
Calchas and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by jonnye; Nov 10, 2017 at 9:45 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I had several Jewish friends at school back in the 60's and their families often holidayed in Eilat. I've no idea how they used to get there from Glasgow though.
The long way There are charter/vacation flights that fly to Eilat. I imagine most folks fly into TLV and then take a 30-40 minute flight from TLV (or what used to be a small airfield right next to the beach downtown) to Eilat. Havent taken a flight there in years but it was great as the plane flew low over the desert and views were magnificent.

If it was feasible for BA I think it would be wonderful if they had a service to Eilat!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:55 am

There are a number of European carriers that fly into Eilat seasonally, including some not seen at TLV, such as SAS. A new airport will open within about six months, and tourist arrivals are expected to significantly increase. The border crossing at Eilat-Aqaba is also likely the easiest one into Jordan, so its a good jumping off point for trips into southern Jordan as well. That said, I'd be extremely surprised if it was anything but a short-haul aircraft.

In terms of the event, I also attended - it was indeed very relaxed, and Cruz has a good sense of humour. I'm only a Gold (not GGL), but generally just fly Club. Perhaps I have a good enough CIV to make the cut .

Interestingly, 85 years ago the first flight from London was on a flying boat that landed in the Sea of Galilee - and it took 20 hours!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
And as a reminder - flights to Eilat will be using (from mid 2018) the new Ramon airport which should be very nice.

According to this picture (taken from the airport's website) BA will have a massive presence

Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by makin'miles
In terms of the event, I also attended - it was indeed very relaxed, and Cruz has a good sense of humour. I'm only a Gold (not GGL), but generally just fly Club. Perhaps I have a good enough CIV to make the cut .
[my bolding] He'd have to given the battering he gets on here.

Seriously, does sound a nice event. I've got Israel on the brain with 100 years of Balfour agreement and all that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.