FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA versus VIRGIN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1876542-ba-versus-virgin.html)

17Kingshill Nov 8, 2017 1:15 pm

BA versus VIRGIN

Currently weighing up return flights to New York. My options are:

BA: WT+ return for 78K Avios plus £903 tax

BA: CW out / WT+ return for 104K Avios plus £989

OR

VIRGIN: Premium Return for 70K Miles plus £755

Seems a no brainer to me... but having never flown either I'd love a few opinions.

frenzie01 Nov 8, 2017 1:30 pm

Virgin PE

Originally Posted by 17Kingshill (Post 29036807)

OR

Seems a no brainer to me... but having never flown either I'd love a few opinions.

Look, I would go with option 3, as this is not a very long flight.

Virgin Premium is far superior to BA WT+.

*Pre departure drinks served in glass, sparkling wine included.
*After dinner liquors.
*Upgraded meals. Both meals, and all courses. Served in real china and cutlery.
*Priority bording and dedicated check in desk.

Virgin PE is closer to business class, and WT+ is closer to economy.

BA WT+ will give you: no priority boarding, no dedicated check in, yes pre departure drinks, no second meal (snack only), only main meal upgraded the other courses standard economy.

You may find some people who say WT+ is better or equivalent. Baloney. Not true.

Let us know how you decide. :)

BApilotinsider Nov 8, 2017 1:33 pm

Virgin has several 787's out of service with engine problems. You may find yourself on Delta metal...

tedcruz Nov 8, 2017 1:34 pm

Agreed! Virgins Premium product outweighs BA. WT+. Service is also to much higher standard.

stuart_f Nov 8, 2017 1:35 pm

Did it need a second thread for the same question?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...lus-taxes.html

Dicksbits Nov 8, 2017 1:45 pm

If you don't need the TP fly Virgin. My friend sent me a set of photos today from his flight to Shanghai. Beats BA on almost every level. Shame I'm flying WTP BA to Washington in the new year - I was jealous!

UKtravelbear Nov 8, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider (Post 29036899)
Virgin has several 787's out of service with engine problems. You may find yourself on Delta metal...

Several? that is a gross exaggeration.

It's not as though BA has never farmed out flights to other airlines like QR and Titan has it?

OP hasn't said then they are flying but the plan to sport out the 787 issues is due be finished by the end of the year.

VS operates the 787 and the A330 and A340 on the NYC route so the OP is still likely to find they are on a VS flight.

BApilotinsider Nov 8, 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 29036978)
Several? that is a gross exaggeration.

It's not as though BA has never farmed out flights to other airlines like QR and Titan has it?

OP hasn't said then they are flying but the plan to sport out the 787 issues is due be finished by the end of the year.

VS operates the 787 and the A330 and A340 on the NYC route so the OP is still likely to find they are on a VS flight.

That's how it was described by a Virgin pilot I spoke to yesterday! Apologies, you seem to have taken offence. No idea why...

flatlander Nov 8, 2017 2:21 pm

BA WT+ out / CW back - sleeper service and a comfortable bed is the way to go.

(I know that wasn't in the original set of options, but that's what I'd want)

crazyarmadillo Nov 8, 2017 2:22 pm

I would suggest another option

CW out
Economy back

if money is a factor of course - cheaper tax on way back, I would say.

Also, why pay for PE return, when its very similar in price to CW out WT+ back.

I would suggest that both WT+ and PE are certainly much closer to Economy than intl Biz cabins.

crazyarmadillo Nov 8, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29037076)
BA WT+ out / CW back - sleeper service and a comfortable bed is the way to go.

(I know that wasn't in the original set of options, but that's what I'd want)

good point - I get the sleeping on the way back - but then you miss out on lounge access at LHR.

So yes if sleeping is advantageous to the OP CW back, WT+ (or WT) out then.

mikeyfly Nov 8, 2017 2:26 pm

I’d say none of these options, save the 100,000 Avios and wait until there’s a decent exEU flight to NYC for around £1,000 J both ways

It is very likely sooner or later, maybe £1,100

HIDDY Nov 8, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by 17Kingshill (Post 29036807)

OR

I have no idea but given the taxes quoted on all your examples I wouldn't fly anything less than J to be honest. In fact I'd probably just buy a revenue ticket.

UKtravelbear Nov 8, 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider (Post 29037018)
That's how it was described by a Virgin pilot I spoke to yesterday! Apologies, you seem to have taken offence. No idea why...

Because it was inaccurate to say 'several' and give the wrong impression that more planes are out of action having work done on them than the current 2 at LHR.

crazyarmadillo Nov 8, 2017 2:34 pm

the tax issue is the killer here. PE or WT+ gets hit so hard for what it is.