Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA versus VIRGIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's a 6 hour flight, so (to me at least) the only significant benefit from flying in premium classes would be to get a flatbed for overnight flights.

I recently bought a couple of WT+ LON-NYC flights, but I could have sworn both taxes and Avios were less. They were only singles, so perhaps I was overlooking part of the cost.

Given these choices I would almost certainly go revenue. As a OneWorld elite, AA's MCE is nice if BA is expensive.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Because it was inaccurate to say 'several' and give the wrong impression that more planes are out of action having work done on them than the current 2 at LHR.
Fair enough. I'll text said Virgin 787 pilot now and tell him UKtravelbear doesn't approve of his use of 'several'..
navylad and dpfs like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
To make this decision I'd want to see how much an economy flight is on your dates. These can be as low as £500 and personally I wouldn't pay the extra in taxes and miles on either BA or Virgin if there's an economy seat for less than the taxes on a WT+ redemption.

if economy is over £800 on your dates I agree with the poster who suggested WT+ on the day flight and CW on the night flight if you can find that as an option. That would be worth the extra cash and miles IMO.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Fair enough. I'll text said Virgin 787 pilot now and tell him UKtravelbear doesn't approve of his use of 'several'..
I think the only gross exaggeration here is the use of ‘gross exaggeration’.....
Mixbury and navylad like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Because it was inaccurate to say 'several' and give the wrong impression that more planes are out of action having work done on them than the current 2 at LHR.
Chatting to a Virgin 744 FO this morning he said it’s on the point of becoming 6 787s AOG. And that they’re expecting quite a wait on the Trent 1000 Ten’s to get them back. I believe they’re currently bringing 744s back from the desert.

All this is a rather OT though, apologies for that.
navylad and dpfs like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:15 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Or, you could say "sorry, I was misinformed".
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:31 pm

We are flying to New York next week and booked AA MCE out and BA WTP Back for about £550 in cash. We then upgraded the return to CW for less than £50 in tax plus avios. Seems like a great option if revenue fares are good and there is CW availability
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
We are flying to New York next week and booked AA MCE out and BA WTP Back for about £550 in cash. We then upgraded the return to CW for less than £50 in tax plus avios. Seems like a great option if revenue fares are good and there is CW availability
sounds a great price - you did well!! plus avios - helps for hotel bookings or car rentals, plus TP if any interest in those.

MCE should not be forgotten in the decision the OP needs to make.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:42 pm

That was going to be my suggestion- AA MCE out and WT+ back trying to upgrade to CW

Unless this is an insanely busy time at those costs it just doesn't make sense to be using miles at all
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by stuart_f
Did it need a second thread for the same question?

Avios plus taxes?
Probably not however as 17Kingshill is probably not aware of just adding it to the existing thread, and is a very new member, I think a wee bit of slack wouldn't go amiss to be honest

The best way to merge threads is to send the Moderators an alert using the report post button which will show this:

Please use this form to alert a moderator to housekeeping requests (merge, retitle, move) etc etc
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Virgin has several 787's out of service with engine problems. You may find yourself on Delta metal...
Which is another god reason to go VS as I've heard they have been moving a lot of PE pax into Delta One (business) on those flights.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:47 am

My wife's flight last week for switched to Delta and a couple sitting next to her in Economy were not happy as they had paid for Virgin Premium Economy, but Delta didn't have it, so they were downgraded…
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:24 am

Virgin PE is deffo far in advance of BA but when it goes wrong, if you think BA can be bad at recovery, Virgin take it to a whole new level
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Originally Posted by Swissroll
Virgin PE is deffo far in advance of BA but when it goes wrong, if you think BA can be bad at recovery, Virgin take it to a whole new level
You can say that again!
I booked 10 days in Cuba with VS, turns out they cancelled the route but didn’t tell us. We only found out when we went to allocate seats and realised or destination/dates had changed.
No customer service or service recovery from VS at all!

TTFN Virgin. All long haul goes through BA/OW now.

Apologies, slightly off topic now . . .
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
There’s no chance I’d be spending those Avios/ miles AND that money on Premium economy, esp to NYC which is a relatively short flight

Get the cheapest economy ticket you can and hope for a decent upgrade offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.