Wiki Posts
Search

Ba40 dur/lhr

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Ba40 dur/lhr

I have noticed that this flight, in the air at present is a 789. I thought this route was served only by the two class 788? Could this be just an operational change? I am on this flight in a month’s time and paid for 3A/B which is just forward of the wing. It’s a day flight and I like to look out the window! I could likely lose this ‘view’ on a 789 I am guessing.
Thank you
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm sure it's just an operational change. Something like a quarter of flights have at least one equipment change departing LHR, though mostly it ends up being the same aircraft type as originally planned. I don't think there is much you can do about it anyway.

And yes on the day flight from DUR to LHR you do get amazing views, for me the high lights were Sudan, Lower Aswan and the Greek Islands. Unfortunately when I went the IFE flight map wasn't working (I think you've seen my piece about the Durban route) and 787s are too shielded for Android Google Maps to work. Plus the 787s aren't wifi'd yet. Hopefully the IFE maps are now ok, but I had to triangulate off the sun location and an offline Google Maps to work out what I was looking at.
shefgab and Shingi like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm sure it's just an operational change. Something like a quarter of flights have at least one equipment change departing LHR, though mostly it ends up being the same aircraft type as originally planned. I don't think there is much you can do about it anyway.

And yes on the day flight from DUR to LHR you do get amazing views, for me the high lights were Sudan, Lower Aswan and the Greek Islands. Unfortunately when I went the IFE flight map wasn't working (I think you've seen my piece about the Durban route) and 787s are too shielded for Android Google Maps to work. Plus the 787s aren't wifi'd yet. Hopefully the IFE maps are now ok, but I had to triangulate off the sun location and an offline Google Maps to work out what I was looking at.
As a guide, if its a big long river going north, its the Nile
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you for that and I have indeed read your excellent report. As you say, not a lot can be done about it. This will be my first direct flight from Durban. Before now on a couple of occasions and for a change we have gone back and forth via Dubai and on the outward it follows the east coast of Africa down and once I asked one of the crew to ask the Captain to identify one particular place and it was Zanzibar which looked just wonderful from 38,000 feet. On short flights I often think I really must bring a Europe map with me as it is frustrating trying to identify places. I always forget, of course. On this forthcoming flight I shall look forward to the views you’ve mentioned particularly Aswan as I have been there and perhaps I’ll be able to pick out the dam.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
As a guide, if its a big long river going north, its the Nile
Ha-ha! Good one.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Is another benefit of the 787 on long day flights like this that while the windows can be shaded by the cabin crew this is far preferable to a blind that would remove the view entirely? I'm wondering whether if it were a 777 for example that passengers seated at the window would be encouraged to close the window blind.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

That will be interesting. It leaves at 0735 so most people should have had some sleep. I won’t be too happy if asked to close my blind but I think this was discussed recently.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:32 am

"Plus the 787s aren't wifi'd yet." @corporate-wage-slave
Just a quick correction, the first 787 has been equipped with WiFi now (G-ZBKI)

Last edited by Naz1; Apr 19, 2019 at 10:34 am Reason: Add quotation
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Resurrecting this to mention that BA41, in the air at present is again a 789 meaning, of course that tomorrow’s BA40 DUR/LHR will be the same aircraft. Does this mean that they would upgrade CW passengers in the event of a full aircraft? Just curious. We are on a redemption so wouldn’t expect to be upgraded to First but, as a precaution if I pay a few pounds more to get us into row 1J/K on the 788 would we be put into rows 6 or 7 forward of the wing in the event of an aircraft change from the 788 to the 789? Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:08 pm

Most of the 787 routes are subject to a variant change depending on aircraft availability with the exception of a few routes such as KUL, SCL. I see it happen almost weekly.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shingi
, as a precaution if I pay a few pounds more to get us into row 1J/K on the 788 would we be put into rows 6 or 7 forward of the wing in the event of an aircraft change from the 788 to the 789? Thanks
I think it's impossible to say, there are just too many moving parts to this (e.g. what if WTP is overbooked?). From what we've seen, those most likely to get the FLUB treatment are those with status and/or those who wangled it at check-in. As to where you end up, it's again too much of a lottery to suggest doing anything different. I guess if you do pay for row 1 then if you end up somewhere else and unhappy with the seat then you can claim the fee back. Even row 13 gets a view - the wing takes out most of the space, but not all of it.
Shingi likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:00 am

British Airways in the second-half of April 2019 is adjusting operational aircraft for London Heathrow – Durban route, with the scheduling of Boeing 787-9 aircraft, replacing -8. First Class cabin on the -9 is not available for sale on this route. The 787-9 operates this route 3 times a week, from 18APR19 to 29APR19, LHR departure.

BA041 LHR1645 – 0535+1DUR 789 146
BA040 DUR0735 – 1845LHR 789 27
BA040 DUR0745 – 1855LHR 789 5
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:52 am

In which case if the seatmap is adjusted to the 787-9 one is best to select seats in main CW for the windows, rather than selecting First seating since it may get blocked off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.