Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked Cathay Redemption via BA and downgraded - how to get Avios difference back?

Booked Cathay Redemption via BA and downgraded - how to get Avios difference back?

Old Nov 8, 17, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Unhappy Booked Cathay Redemption via BA and downgraded - how to get Avios difference back?

Hi All,

Not sure where to post this but here goes:

I booked a First Class Avios Redemption (Avios 30000) on Cathay Pacific via British Airways using my BAEC account, but when I arrived at the gate I was downgraded to Business Class as the plane had been changed.

I was informed by the Cathay gate agent that along with the HKD400 "Goodwill Payment" they would return the difference in miles between a Business Class and First Class redemption. However, to date I have heard nothing and have no idea where to claim as the BA site does not have an option for getting Avios back from a Partner (that I can find).

Any ideas towards the correct place to claim back the Avios would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Call BA Executive club, they'll sort it out.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Hi All,

Not sure where to post this but here goes:

I booked a First Class Avios Redemption (Avios 30000) on Cathay Pacific via British Airways using my BAEC account, but when I arrived at the gate I was downgraded to Business Class as the plane had been changed.

I was informed by the Cathay gate agent that along with the HKD400 "Goodwill Payment" they would return the difference in miles between a Business Class and First Class redemption. However, to date I have heard nothing and have no idea where to claim as the BA site does not have an option for getting Avios back from a Partner (that I can find).

Any ideas towards the correct place to claim back the Avios would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Sounds like one for BAEC given it was booked with Avios. Did your booking change at all to reflect this? BA may ask for proof that you were downgraded if not.

On a separate note, is the amount you were given definitely HKD 400? If so, not entirely sure why CX bothered with that as that's frankly borderline insulting even as a gesture of goodwill if you've paid for a cash CX F ticket.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
[QUOTE=
On a separate note, is the amount you were given definitely HKD 400? If so, not entirely sure why CX bothered with that as that's frankly borderline insulting even as a gesture of goodwill if you've paid for a cash CX F ticket.[/QUOTE]

They have a separate part where they mention difference between fares if you paid for your ticket.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
Call BA Executive club, they'll sort it out.
Thanks, I'll physc myself up for that later
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Welcome back thundercat, good to see you here again and Gold now too! ^

I thought you and your buddy BotB had won the lottery and had been living in Vegas ever since
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Thanks, I'll physc myself up for that later
In fact, I had a similar scenario - I've booked a First class redemption for HKG-SIN, then my flight got changed for three class A330, so I got downgraded. I've spotted this thanks to the myflightsapp. I called BA and an agent asked if I wanted to get the avios difference or change for another flight. I chose another flight on a same day.

If change of equipment happened way before the departure, BA EC should see it on the e-tix and will refund you the difference in avios.
schofs likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
In fact, I had a similar scenario - I've booked a First class redemption for HKG-SIN, then my flight got changed for three class A330, so I got downgraded. I've spotted this thanks to the myflightsapp. I called BA and an agent asked if I wanted to get the avios difference or change for another flight. I chose another flight on a same day.

If change of equipment happened way before the departure, BA EC should see it on the e-tix and will refund you the difference in avios.
You should have received difference in fare, a 1 way space available upgrade and if into economy at least 1 if not 2 seats beside you blocked. Just my experience on a few occasions
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post
You should have received difference in fare, a 1 way space available upgrade and if into economy at least 1 if not 2 seats beside you blocked. Just my experience on a few occasions
I have never heard of that before. That would be received from CX and applicable to CX flights? And it applies to reward flights booked via BAEC on CX? Is this for on the day downgrades or those done more that two weeks in advance?

Having been downgraded before by CX from F to J on a reward booking a few months before the flight CX never offered me anything and in fact BAEC could only rebook me on another CX flight in F if there was F reward space available.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Ditching the F cabin seems to happen quite often with CX regional flights so BAEC must be used to refunding the difference.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01 View Post
Welcome back thundercat, good to see you here again and Gold now too! ^

I thought you and your buddy BotB had won the lottery and had been living in Vegas ever since
Not from a lack of trying but just can't get those pesky winning numbers
PETER01 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I have never heard of that before. That would be received from CX and applicable to CX flights? And it applies to reward flights booked via BAEC on CX? Is this for on the day downgrades or those done more that two weeks in advance?
To answer your questions:
Yes
Yes
The former

Happened to me on maybe 5/6 occasions and far outweighed by the 75% upgrade ratio I run 😜
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are two entirely different concepts at work here. One is the requirement of a refund of the fare difference and the other is a discretionary customer service gesture for the inconvenience.

The refund comes from the marketing/ticketing carrier and is paid in the original form of payment. In this case avios. The customer service gesture is in CX's discretion and represents the HKD400 from the gate agent.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post
To answer your questions:
Yes
Yes
The former

Happened to me on maybe 5/6 occasions and far outweighed by the 75% upgrade ratio I run ��
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying it’s only for on the day downgrades.

If it’s a reward booking what fare difference do CX give? [EDIT: reading the OP’s post again I guess difference in miles which CX offered but he hasn’t received yet]

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 8, 17 at 8:19 am
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Its well worth keeping an eye on any regional F bookings as they do this a lot, often well in advance. Each time I have spotted it and rebooked myself.

I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone books CX F regionally, is its not at all predictable how / when you actually get what you pay for, and then there is a right run around to get it sorted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: