Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked Cathay Redemption via BA and downgraded - how to get Avios difference back?

Booked Cathay Redemption via BA and downgraded - how to get Avios difference back?

Old Nov 8, 17, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying itís only for on the day downgrades.

If itís a reward booking what fare difference do CX give?
I have had Asia miles difference refunded plus 5,000 miles and notional cash (1700HKD if memory serves for W to Y with 3 emergency exit seats blocked) for a BA booked regional downgrade. It does seem to be a very bespoke negotiation process which they only enter into when you raise it. Then they swing into action. Cash is paid as cash with notes and even coins. The one way upgrade is the one consistent compensation. IME
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
They have a separate part where they mention difference between fares if you paid for your ticket.
Yes, and you can certainly get an awful lot of money if it's a revenue F-J downgrade. I once received compensation in this situation where I got more money given to me than the cost of my entire return journey, despite the downgrade being on one leg only. Not sure if that's typical, though.
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy View Post
Yes, and you can certainly get an awful lot of mone if it's a revenue F-J downgrade. I once received compensation in this situation where I got more money given to me than the cost of my entire return journey, despite the downgrade being on one leg only. Not sure if that's typical, though.
Yes. I never queried the number as it. Always seemed too high.
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
In fact, I had a similar scenario - I've booked a First class redemption for HKG-SIN, then my flight got changed for three class A330, so I got downgraded. I've spotted this thanks to the myflightsapp. I called BA and an agent asked if I wanted to get the avios difference or change for another flight. I chose another flight on a same day.
Another flight on CX in F? Or did they offer to pick another carrier altogether?
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by barracuda93 View Post
Another flight on CX in F? Or did they offer to pick another carrier altogether?
Another flight on CX.
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
Another flight on CX.
I am pretty sure CX could have moved you from their side too, even on departure date itself. According to my experience they are quite flexible with moving someone to another flight.
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I am pretty sure CX could have moved you from their side too, even on departure date itself. According to my experience they are quite flexible with moving someone to another flight.
As ticket was booked with BA Executive Club I assumed they're in control of the ticket up to 24h before departure, so contacted BA EC to get it changed. Agent offered me partial refund, rebooking or cancellation - it was hassle free and quickly done.
Old Nov 8, 17, 6:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No, CX wouldn't be able to sort this out unless it's an "on the day" issue. It’s up to BAEC to sort it out as that’s who you're booked with. If some liaison needs to be done with CX then BA will contact the oneworld help desk.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 9, 17 at 3:55 am Reason: Shocking typo, wrote your instead of you're
Old Nov 9, 17, 2:24 am

No, CX wouldn't be able to sort this out unless it's an "on the day" issue.
Why do you assume so?
Old Nov 9, 17, 3:15 am

Why do you assume so?
To be fair it's not assumption. I am speaking from my own experience and also those of others that have posted over the years on here.
Old Nov 9, 17, 6:44 am

To be fair it's not assumption. I am speaking from my own experience and also those of others that have posted over the years on here.
Ok, can't argue since never had such issue. But I have been offered by CX many times to move me to an earlier flight, for instance (I had been usually early at their lounge when departing HKG or TPE), on reward (mostly) and probably on paid bookings too. Never happened with other carriers, so I had an impression they are extremely flexible and do not discriminate if the booking is a reward one from a partner.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:11 am

Ok, can't argue since never had such issue. But I have been offered by CX many times to move me to an earlier flight, for instance (I had been usually early at their lounge when departing HKG or TPE), on reward (mostly) and probably on paid bookings too. Never happened with other carriers, so I had an impression they are extremely flexible and do not discriminate if the booking is a reward one from a partner.
The problem here as someone else noted is that these bookings are done via BAEC so have a BA 125-... ticket. BA are effectively acting as a TA in this instance, and I understand that like a TA they "own" the booking until just before the flight. This means that whilst CX may be quite flexible with issues on their own bookings, it wouldn't be CX the OP would be dealing with and instead it would be BA.

If I can draw from my own experience when CX have downgraded me on a BA reward booking CX would only let BA rebook me in to F again on another flight of there was actually F reward availability. In my instance there was no other CX flight with F reward availability that day so I basically had to go with J or cancel.

In contrast for a BA reward booking on a BA flight generally if they do a change you can rebook to go back in F on another BA flight as long as there is some selling class availability - your revoking choice isn't limited to where there is F reward availability. This sounds like your experience for CX rests flights booked directly with CX.

Also note I was specifically talking about issues which were not "on the day" downgrades. If something does happen on the day then yes you deal with the operating carrier and you can try your luck for changes.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:17 am

The problem here as someone else noted is that these bookings are done via BAEC so have a BA 125-... ticket. BA are effectively acting as a TA in this instance, and I understand that like a TA they "own" the booking until just before the flight. This means that whilst CX may be quite flexible with issues on their own bookings, it wouldn't be CX the OP would be dealing with and instead it would be BA.
Well, my reward bookings when I have been offered by CX to change flight (for free of course) were all BAEC reward ones.
However, as I mentioned, I cannot be sure the same would have applied in a case of a class downgrade. Probably not, since other people report that.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:28 am

Well, my reward bookings when I have been offered by CX to change flight (for free of course) were all BAEC reward ones.
However, as I mentioned, I cannot be sure the same would have applied in a case of a class downgrade. Probably not, since other people report that.
It seems you are talking about doing changes on the day in the lounge. This is after control of the booking has passed from BA to CX - you are free to negotiate for whatever you want directly with CX, and CX are able to change the booking themselves at that stage.

The OP's example (and what I am talking about) is a change some weeks before, not "on the day" changes. For all reward bookings you have to sort it out with BA at that stage and the operating carrier CX/AA/JL etc wouldn't be able to help.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Have all your experiences been "on the day" moves?
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: