Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE Catering

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
it certainly won't happen again to me or anyone in my company - I've just informed our travel agency that they should no longer offer BA options to any employee. Petty, but I won't have my money stolen by BA like that.
Not petty at all. There are plenty of providers out there who are deserving of your personal or business cash, if they fit your needs better than BA. Admittedly, limited on the EDI-LHR route, but more widely plenty of carriers would be willing to take the money that would have been spent with BA.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Two weeks ago a lady at check in NCE asked and took a 189Euro upgrade. They told her there would be no catering and she still took the upgrade. Money down the drain !!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:56 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully it won't happen again, but what you should do is pay for some M&S food with Avios and claim the Avios back from BA later. I know of someone who has been successful on this.

Because of the catering all coming from LGW and the overnight stop at EDI then this was somewhat on the cards, and would have been a risk at similar night stop locations, unfortunately. This has been going on for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge for LGW sectors, though there was catering at places like LCA and PFO until more recently.
It's not just LGW either - I've been on the receiving end of the "no catering for you in CE" on a LIS-LHR back in 2007 when taking a fairly late POUG.

If an airline knows that there is a reasonable possibility that it can't provide an aspect of the advertised service, it should not be selling it (and prevented from doing so, if necessary).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because of the catering all coming from LGW and the overnight stop at EDI then this was somewhat on the cards, and would have been a risk at similar night stop locations, unfortunately. This has been going on for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge for LGW sectors, though there was catering at places like LCA and PFO until more recently.
BA could easily solve this by loading a couple of extra trays for each flight. I mean, what do these cost to provide? No idea but £5 perhaps? Certainly not very much. If BA are willing to sell top price CE seats within 24 hours and offer AUPs and now App-UPs (after check in) then catering should be available, unless it's made very clear at the time of booking that it will not be.
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Originally Posted by volar
BA could easily solve this by loading a couple of extra trays for each flight. I mean, what do these cost to provide? No idea but £5 perhaps? Certainly not very much. If BA are willing to sell top price CE seats within 24 hours and offer AUPs and now App-UPs (after check in) then catering should be available, unless it's made very clear at the time of booking that it will not be.

Totally agree. Arguably they should carry enough meals for all seats in CE both ways... Last minute people flying top-whack CE would in many cases, I'd say, be the same people making long haul premium trips. BA will lose both with this sort of behaviour - as they have proven today.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:49 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Good for you for swearing off BA, Sully.

I've read so many of these CE catering threads and it completely beyond me how this is acceptable way to run an airline. Even US carriers with fixed numbers of domestic F seats reliably overcater beyond the number of seats. BA simply needs to overcater or not sell seats that don't have meals. Hopefully this comes to a class action.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What a shame! I do not blame you in your action. I had the same with Lufthansa on a flight to FRA. They reached the front of the enormous Business cabin as we started our descent. It was not that a tray was not loaded, but that the crew handed my breakfast to the cockpit and then proceeded to tell me the they had run out. The fur flew.

I have never, and will never trouble them again.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Another vote for complaining to Customer Relations.

I would ask for some compensation.

What is reasonable?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
If BA don't have meals to serve passengers then they shouldn't be selling the seats, regardless of where the plane is.
Sure, since BA sells breakfasts and lunches, it should prevent people from getting transported to where they need to be if a non-essential element of the journey can't be delivered. I am pretty sure most people would choose to travel anyway.

Especially those people who don't view CE as a chance to eat, as the lady at NCE.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Two weeks ago a lady at check in NCE asked and took a 189Euro upgrade. They told her there would be no catering and she still took the upgrade. Money down the drain !!
What BA should do is advise those who purchase tickets within 24 hours before departure that there won't be any meals for them so that a passenger can make an informed decision. I believe this is communicated when upgrades are purchased at the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer

I feel stupid. EasyJet's flight was far cheaper at almost the same time but I figured I'd give this a go. I must be delusional. .
At least you'll get tier points but yes you must be crazy.

First flights tomorrow morning from EDI-LGW are pricing as £56 on Easy against £111 with BA in CE although you can get BA basic for £62 which is an excellent price. Why you chose to fly in CE is beyond me especially as you have status.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Originally Posted by HIDDY
At least you'll get tier points but yes you must be crazy.

First flights tomorrow morning from EDI-LGW are pricing as £56 on Easy against £111 with BA in CE although you can get BA basic for £62 which is an excellent price. Why you chose to fly in CE is beyond me especially as you have status.

...Because the prices you have have there are nothing like the ones available when I booked - EasyJet was much much higher "last remaining" prices which were on almost par with BA Y, and CE wasnt much more.. My BA status is now "soft-landing" Silver, and I was "sort-of" trying to keep that for next year. Now that my Longhauls are all other carriers, I don't hit tier points so easily, so that was the justification. Not that it matters now, I'll happily let my soft landing silver become null.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Sure, since BA sells breakfasts and lunches, it should prevent people from getting transported to where they need to be if a non-essential element of the journey can't be delivered. I am pretty sure most people would choose to travel anyway.

Especially those people who don't view CE as a chance to eat, as the lady at NCE.
So they should sell the seats as domestic economy. What they shouldn't do is sell them as Club Europe, take the money, and then inform the passenger when they board that they won't get the product they paid for. It's borderline theft.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Another vote for complaining to Customer Relations.

I would ask for some compensation.

What is reasonable?
I’d ask for between £10 and £20 - which seems a reasonable ask for some food and an alcoholic drink (or 2).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by bafan
I’d ask for between £10 and £20 - which seems a reasonable ask for some food and an alcoholic drink (or 2).
I was missing a meal last Friday on my way up to NCL (1336) due to the fog causing disruption meaning they didn't load any catering.

Called-in today was offered an apology and 3,000 avios or a £20 e-voucher which seemed reasonable to me.

Suggest the OP does the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.