Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CE Catering

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:33 am

As Club Europe only exists to flatter the vanity of those in important corporate positions I have no sympathy whatsoever. It is Y dressed up in the clothes of an emperor, so its benefits are rather illusionary and you’re getting them.

Don’t worry, your friends and neighbours will be impressed; sleep soundly!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Greenpen
As Club Europe only exists to flatter the vanity of those in important corporate positions I have no sympathy whatsoever. It is Y dressed up in the clothes of an emperor, so its benefits are rather illusionary and you’re getting them.

Don’t worry, your friends and neighbours will be impressed; sleep soundly!
it's ok for you, when you get hungry you can eat that big chip on your shoulder.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:40 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
it's ok for you, when you get hungry you can eat that big chip on your shoulder.
^
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because of the catering all coming from LGW and the overnight stop at EDI then this was somewhat on the cards, and would have been a risk at similar night stop locations, unfortunately. This has been going on for at least 10 years to my certain knowledge for LGW sectors, though there was catering at places like LCA and PFO until more recently.
How does this work on European legs? This year (for the first time) I've had two OpUps - FRA-LHR and FCO-LHR, both at boarding (<<24 hours!) and on both was catered for (and was one of the first to asked what I wanted).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by headingwest
If BA don't have meals to serve passengers then they shouldn't be selling the seats, regardless of where the plane is. They know damn well that passengers can book right up until the last moment and should be loading enough meals to serve. Honestly, these guys behave like crooks.
Possibly because the prime purpose is to get you from A to B.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Possibly because the prime purpose is to get you from A to B.
Yes, where they charge additionally for benefits that they know that they are unable to provide in full, without any prior notice given to passengers.
headingwest likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ABax
Yes, where they charge additionally for benefits that they know that they are unable to provide in full, without any prior notice given to passengers.
Im not really interested in the mass harrumphing and outrage - just the specific point that they shouldn't have sold the seat.

I've been in many situations on the domestics where catering wasn't available. Imagine being told, "Im sorry, we cant fly you because the catering isn't on." I'd be far more outraged by that.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Im not really interested in the mass harrumphing and outrage - just the specific point that they shouldn't have sold the seat.

I've been in many situations on the domestics where catering wasn't available. Imagine being told, "Im sorry, we cant fly you because the catering isn't on." I'd be far more outraged by that.
My point was that they shouldn't have sold the seat as Club Europe (which ba.com advertises as having a meal), if they weren't able to provide a meal. If the website specifies this at the time of purchase then the customer has the choice to buy it or not. The problem highlighted many times here, is that BA knows very well that they might not have a meal for those passengers. How anyone can defend that type of action is beyond me.

I just checked, I can pay 682 EUR to get to London in Club Europe at 7.55 tomorrow morning on the first plane out of Vienna. The website says that gets me a meal!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by volar
If BA are willing to ... offer AUPs ... then catering should be available, unless it's made very clear at the time of booking that it will not be.
I quite often AUP, ironically on EDI-LHR, and only a couple of times have the ticketing desk mentioned that catering probably won't be available. They were right once, one other time they said nothing but no meal available (I got multiple chive prezels to go with the consolation bubbles I was plied with though ) and every other time a meal has been available.

I seem to simply get added into the front-back service order and get to choose (which seems a bit cheeky if those further back who may have booked sooner then don't ), but took no offence when one CSM asked if I minded having last choice as I was a late addition.

I'd have been more miffed if no catering had been available on routes like OTP-LHR after AUP. I think I POUGed those soon after check-in opened though, which presumably helps .
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
(I got multiple chive prezels to go with the consolation bubbles I was plied with though )
The question of short haul catering vs 4 bags of pretzels and extra champagne is worthy of its own thread!
bafan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Telling that BA can predict when to over sell flights (which makes them money) but seems not to be so skilled at predicting when they will need an extra meal (which costs them money).

Go figure....
But BA don't get it right 100% of the time on overbooking and they don't get it right 100% of the time on catering.

Not sure your argument is very convincing there.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
hahaha more and more companies are forcing people to go Y short haul anyway so a lot of them will be in the back soon!
Yet one has to assume those on here who continuously slag the product must be forced to fly in it by their employers given they're always telling us how poor it is. I mean no person in their right mind would continue to pay for something out of their own pocket if they didn't like it would they?
PUCCI GALORE and Genius1 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CKBA
How does this work on European legs? This year (for the first time) I've had two OpUps - FRA-LHR and FCO-LHR, both at boarding (<<24 hours!) and on both was catered for (and was one of the first to asked what I wanted).
At least one of the following 4 reasons may apply.

1) They knew they would have a full flight at LHR, and therefore added the extra meals in anticipation, even if they didn't specifically know you would be the OpUp.

2) Some people outbound from LHR didn't want to eat anything, so there were spares from that sector. Alternatively there were late no-shows on either sector.

3) There was a larger than average number of special meals and that led to more mainstream meals being available

4) And finally, contrary to some of the evidence upthread, they may have had been slightly over catered leaving London, sufficient to handle the actual demand.

Late upgrades do not always mean no catering.
volar likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

I'd be really annoyed if BA did that to me. "Oh we can't sell you a CE seat because we won't have CE catering. You have to fly ET, and by the way the middle seat is occupied".

I think it should be all about advance warning. What they should do when booking <24 hours is to flash up a big message saying, "Catering is not assured. Please only book Club Europe if you deem this to be acceptable." or the same spiel read out if booking via a call centre or a TA.

At least them they've been forewarned and accepted the possibility of missing catering.

In addition, print "Catering Not Assured" on the boarding pass and on OLCI/SSCI machine so that the passenger is reminded of it because they might have forgotten by then, or someone may have forgotten to tell them. At least then, they can eat in advance.
Andriyko and HIDDY like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.