Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bronze seat selection - is it exactly 168 (7 x 24) hours before departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld

Does Bronze seat selection kick in at exactly 7 days (168 hours) before departure? Or is something more vague? As silver members, I have seats 1A and 1B selected from myself and my son, but my wife and daughter and on a separate ticket (yet the same flight) and they are bronze. I want to be able to jump in a grab 2A and 2B for them at exactly the right time. Currently, there are only 5 seats selected according to the seat map so I guess nobody else has status above bronze, but there could be droves of bronze members poised, so I want to be quick off the mark. No big loss if we can't manage this, and I will not pay $200 in advance to make sure.

It's BA248 GIG-LHR on the Dec 10, if that helps anyone who has access to info.

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Pretty sure it is indeed exactly 7 days before.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I certainly feel I'm fully participating in this trip!

Yes, it's exactly 7 days to the local hour. Good luck! Note there may be a lot of movement in the first day so get the best you can, then check every day to see if you can get improvements.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I certainly feel I'm fully participating in this trip!
I've been counting the seconds for this! I think the worst thing possible is to buy tickets 355 days in advance and then have only that flight to look forward to for an entire year. At least when we get to the UK we have other flights. Within a 30 period we are doing HEL/TLL/MAN/DUB/JFK, and then back to GIG on the 12th of Jan.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:16 am

Also curious about this for connecting flights. Is it T-7 before departure of the first flight or before the actual departure of the specific flight (IE if you have two flights each flight will release at seperate times).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Also curious about this for connecting flights. Is it T-7 before departure of the first flight or before the actual departure of the specific flight (IE if you have two flights each flight will release at seperate times).
I think for connections you have to wait for the 7 days on each leg separately, you don't (I believe) get access for example 8 days off by dint of the connecting flight.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:15 am

I think for connections you have to wait for the 7 days on each leg separately, you don't (I believe) get access for example 8 days off by dint of the connecting flight.
I wonder about this - given that you can check in and print a boarding pass for the connecting flight(s) upon check-in for the first leg, it would be a bit odd if you couldn't also select a seat at that time.

But I don't recall ever being in that situation without having already selected seats, and of course it wouldn't be the only odd thing about BA practices . . .
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Slightly off topic but how do you reserve 1A and 1B as silvers?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Slightly off topic but how do you reserve 1A and 1B as silvers?
I believe they get released 72 hours before if they haven't already been taken by Golds.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I believe they get released 72 hours before if they haven't already been taken by Golds.
I thought the same but the OP is taking about a flight in December.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Night Flyer
I wonder about this - given that you can check in and print a boarding pass for the connecting flight(s) upon check-in for the first leg, it would be a bit odd if you couldn't also select a seat at that time.
But check-in doesn't go live until much closer to the flight time and is run by a different system. At 7 days out, seat allocation is still run on the main reservations system and has nothing to do with checking-in for the flights.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
I thought the same but the OP is taking about a flight in December.
This is a 3 class flight.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
This is a 3 class flight.
Correct, and lucky me: on this route the clapped out 772 with fuzzy IFE has been swapped for a spanking new 788. I welcome the change.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
But check-in doesn't go live until much closer to the flight time and is run by a different system. At 7 days out, seat allocation is still run on the main reservations system and has nothing to do with checking-in for the flights.
Sorry, my post was extremely inarticulate. What I was trying to say (without apparently, the benefit of sufficient caffeine) is that since the system at check-in allows you to select seats based on the originating flight time, perhaps that did carry over to the "other" selection window.

As you say, the fact that they're different systems explains why not. I just can't ever remember trying.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Yes, it's exactly 7 days to the local hour.
Yes, it was, and thanks for the info. I sat there with my finger on the mouse and at exactly 23:00 the MMB changed from $95 per seat to no charge. I am more used to the OLCI countdown that shows precise hours mins sec counting down so it was interesting to compare that with how the Bronze status benefit works. However, it seems I was underestimating the amount of Bronze PAX, as even now, some 8 hours later, no other seats have been taken. 28 seats out of 35 remain available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.