Ageing fleet

Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: emirates british airways priority pass
Ageing fleet

Recently did a YYZ-LHR-BLR BA92/ BA119 - WT, while the YYZ-LHR was on a new 787 was a beauty. The second leg was on a 777 G-YMMF about 17 years old, the cabin was pretty gloomy. No power outlets( i did read somewhere most BA a/c dont have power outlet in WT), old IFE. The seat was uncomfortable despite being on exit row. So much so I had a stiff back. I have paid for an upgrade to WT+ on my return. But just wondering if its going to be any different. From what I see LHR-BLR is weekly once on G-YMMF and quite often G-YMM* so old a/c.

Has anyone experienced the same?

Also any reco for YYZ-BLR? Preferably Y or Prem Economy. Thanks!

TY!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I agree that the G-YMM* 772 are not the best. One way to avoid these planes is to make a dummy booking in WT+ and take a look at the seat map before it gets to making a payment. If there are only 4 rows of WT+ you will be seating on the old planes. Even so, late changes to aircraft type can happen at any moment.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by numbiceman
Recently did a YYZ-LHR-BLR BA92/ BA119 - WT, while the YYZ-LHR was on a new 787 was a beauty. The second leg was on a 777 G-YMMF about 17 years old, the cabin was pretty gloomy. No power outlets( i did read somewhere most BA a/c dont have power outlet in WT), old IFE. The seat was uncomfortable despite being on exit row. So much so I had a stiff back. I have paid for an upgrade to WT+ on my return. But just wondering if its going to be any different. From what I see LHR-BLR is weekly once on G-YMMF and quite often G-YMM* so old a/c.

TY!
I think the key reason why you are seeing the difference in aircraft is due to competition. On LON-YYZ, BA have to compete with other non stop carriers such as Air Canada, Air Transat and Westjet so they are more likely to offer the latest and newest aircraft. Whereas for LON-BLR, I believe they have a monopoly on non-stop flights and could probably afford to offer a sub-par product without impacting on margin/demand.

Unfortunately, by paying money to upgrade to WT+ (and your reason is very valid), BA are effectively being rewarded with extra cash for offering a poor product in Y.

In terms of WT+, you do get a wider and more comfortable seat, with more leg room and better food, with the first main course from the Club World menu.

May I ask why you chose to book with BA rather than other one-stop options such as Air France, Emirates, Etihad, Lufthansa or Jet Airways?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firipu
I think the key reason why you are seeing the difference in aircraft is due to competition. On LON-YYZ, BA have to compete with other non stop carriers such as Air Canada, Air Transat and Westjet so they are more likely to offer the latest and newest aircraft. Whereas for LON-BLR, I believe they have a monopoly on non-stop flights and could probably afford to offer a sub-par product without impacting on margin/demand.

Unfortunately, by paying money to upgrade to WT+ (and your reason is very valid), BA are effectively being rewarded with extra cash for offering a poor product in Y.

In terms of WT+, you do get a wider and more comfortable seat, with more leg room and better food, with the first main course from the Club World menu.

May I ask why you chose to book with BA rather than other one-stop options such as Air France, Emirates, Etihad, Lufthansa or Jet Airways?
Another thing i noticed is WT no kits are provided to pax. not expecting a bounty but was hoping for a sleeping mask at the least.

BA - had flown on BA on this sector a while ago. the BLR - LHR seemed to be a newer 777 and that a/c did have a better IFE and USB in WT. Also wanted to fly on the 787

EK - I felt the YYZ-DXB leg was too long esp on the return was too exhausting.

LH- next time gonna try this.

9W / Jet - some time as they recently started the AMS-BLR non stop. else YYZ-BLR was a 2 stop journey.

EY - I didnt like the EY service between AUH-BLR. Have done a couple of BLR-AUH-LHR and the AUH-BLR bad service and grumpy staff.

AF - never flown AF. Hows AF service and do they charge for check in bags or is it just for certain sectors / basic economy?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Another thing i noticed is WT no kits are provided to pax. not expecting a bounty but was hoping for a sleeping mask at the least.
I think there's stuff that you can ask for, and IIRC that's mentioned in the headset pack.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think there's stuff that you can ask for, and IIRC that's mentioned in the headset pack.
All I had in the headset pack was a pamphlet about a charity and nothing else.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
I agree that the G-YMM* 772 are not the best. One way to avoid these planes is to make a dummy booking in WT+ and take a look at the seat map before it gets to making a payment. If there are only 4 rows of WT+ you will be seating on the old planes. Even so, late changes to aircraft type can happen at any moment.
772 definitely not the best
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:42 am

They are bulk loaded now. Please ask the crew for them. My thoughts on this is that now that people think we dont have them, they just wont ask and someone in BA will decide that passengers no longer want them, then remove them completely.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I think it's proper that they are on demand. Less than half the PAX use them (in my experience) and they are then chucked out. Less waste, less cost; works well.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All I had in the headset pack was a pamphlet about a charity and nothing else.
Unless it has changed there should be a toothbrush and toothpaste with the headset and in this package there should be a small piece of paper telling you what is available on request.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:41 am

I try avoid the 772's in BA fleet entirely. Not been on 1 that isn't rickety. Are they planning on refreshing all classes when they make them unbearable in Y?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Over 50% are already refurbished and in Y are as good as your going to get from BA.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Unless it has changed there should be a toothbrush and toothpaste with the headset and in this package there should be a small piece of paper telling you what is available on request.
Damn my bad then.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver

TY!
I was in G-YMMF in Club World BKK-LHR very recently. First thing that struck me was how hard it was to see anything at all on the TV-screen. Also, the moving map was just that, while I remember seeing also 3d animated maps on TV-screens in other BA 777-200 aircraft
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:22 am

Delated - wrong thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.