Is the lounge in RAK (Marrakech) any good?

Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is the lounge in RAK (Marrakech) any good?

Only found bad reviews so far, though don’t know how old they are. Catching a flight there tomorrow.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dreadful - don't bother
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
It's a square room with basic furniture and a staff member watching your alcohol and food consumption like a hawk. Still, its better than nothing and after a wine or two i felt like a naughty schoolkid daring to try for another one.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Oh dear...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
And the food offerings are pitiful too.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
BA now use the RAM lounge, which is an improvement on the previous lounge. Food and alcohol available.

I used it in September.

See the posts towards the end of this thread.

BA Lounge Database | Africa

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
And the 0.5l diet coke bottles are meant for sharing, not individual consumption. So don't get any funny ideas!

(in fairness this was 5 years ago - but still fresh in my memory)
BrianWBrazil likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
And the 0.5l diet coke bottles are meant for sharing, not individual consumption. So don't get any funny ideas!

(in fairness this was 5 years ago - but still fresh in my memory)
To be fair to them, it does state on the 0.5L bottles that they contain two servings…
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:02 am

O.m.G! the reviews sound too bad. Off my list forever.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Was at the lounge in September.....it’s pretty awful.

However I did blag in 2 guests instead of 1 as i was with a couple of colleagues.
Our sole aim was to have a few drinks and the beer was the rather disappointing, Flag Speciale rather than the far more palatable Casablanca.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Pearl Lounge

I visited the Pearl Lounge at Marrakesh on Sunday 5 Nov with my Priority Pass card travelling EJ. Not sure if this lounge is available to BA customers

It looked new, very welcoming staff, very nicely designed interior with lots of modern seating types including very comfy chairs with a personal large TV in your personal zone. I was the only person there. There were power points almost everywhere.

Departure information is at a screen by the entrance and toilets are outside the lounge. There appears to be a stylish meeting space at one end of the lounge.

There was a staffed buffet where you could choose sandwiches, rolls, pastries etc. I had a chicken panini (warmed) which was okay and some Morroccan biscuits which were scrummy. The buffet was staffed by two young men who were immensely charming and helpful and we had a short conversation about Chelsea FC when they learned I was from London. There is a small range of wine and beer in a fridge available on request.

This was my first time at RAK and I loved the entire airport in terms of design - both the original building and the new extension. However it is not quick to get through to departures with lots of different checks of the same information.

When I left the lounge I thought "this will be a lovely place to come back to when I am back in Marrakesh"

Last edited by WeLoveSpace; Nov 7, 2017 at 6:31 am Reason: Add comment re alcohol
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

OK, so the lounge (it is the RAM one) looks different from the ones on the pictures (see oneworld website). Looks more modern and has its own bathrooms that do look nice. There should be WiFi, but it is not working. The WiFi of the airport itsel is not working. Food-wise... fairly basic, and soft drinks seem to be hidden away and have to be asked for.

So... not excellent, but okay-ish as I was prepared for the worst!!!

It is not the same as the Pearl Lounge on the other side of the concourse, which I admit does look a lot more inviting and seems to be of a much higher quality generally. Why could BA not choose that one...

Last edited by Tinseltown; Nov 7, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting that the Priority Pass website does not show a lounge at RAK where access can be gained with its card.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Interesting that the Priority Pass website does not show a lounge at RAK where access can be gained with its card.
I suspect the lounge may have opened very very recently. The lady at the front desk had to be shown how to scan a Priority Pass barcode by a supervisor and there was some decorating going on in a corridor at the end. It felt very new. They have PP signs on display at the entrance..
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
I suspect the lounge may have opened very very recently. The lady at the front desk had to be shown how to scan a Priority Pass barcode by a supervisor and there was some decorating going on in a corridor at the end. It felt very new. They have PP signs on display at the entrance..
Thank you.

I was hoping that I had not missed it when I was there in September!

At least the RAM lounge is better than the previous shared lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.