Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:38 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Yes, it'll be a real shame if ITA closes next year - it provides a lot of transparency to airlines' operations.
Just veering off-topic here, I don't think(?) ITA is closing - just one particular commercial product they offer to travel agents (QPX Express).

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/01/go...ght-data-feed/
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What is BA YQ surcharge?
Is this a rhetorical question? Or are you seriously asking this?

After all, having made the following posts, I had been under the impression that you have detailed knowledge of how BA works, including the relevance of YQ to its business performance:-
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by gms
Thanks for this insight Anonba. Maybe I took too literally what the first agent said to me, something along the lines of "I was working out the taxes while waiting for the space to be released for you" [I was using a GGL redemption to open up seats]. So I assumed that it must have been some manual process, rather than an automated one.

For reference, it wasn't an overly complicated routing. LHR-CPT/JNB-LHR both legs in F. Does using a GGL redemption complicate matters somehow?
Using double Avios shouldnt cause problems tbh. Maybe that the agent quoted a revenue booking and just looked at the taxes on this, instead of quoting a redemption booking. Some taxes are slightly different for revenue/avios bookings as they are based on a percentage of fare.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Definitely agree with the OP on this topic when it comes to amendments to bookings with BA. They aren’t deliberately out to overcharge, but I have had a few instances where the system has produced an inflated number and luckily I have caught it. In one instance the GGL agent actually worked it out manually to check after I queried a tax change and his and my figure aligned at over £150 less than what the ‘system’ had calculated, so if you are changing any details in an existing booking - have an idea of what you expect the tax difference to be prior to the call.

Pilot37
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Definitely agree with the OP on this topic when it comes to amendments to bookings with BA. They aren’t deliberately out to overcharge, but I have had a few instances where the system has produced an inflated number and luckily I have caught it. In one instance the GGL agent actually worked it out manually to check after I queried a tax change and his and my figure aligned at over £150 less than what the ‘system’ had calculated, so if you are changing any details in an existing booking - have an idea of what you expect the tax difference to be prior to the call.
It doesn't make too much sense to me. But probably this is how it works
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Club Carlson Gold,
To share a related lesson from today (I have read similar issues reported on this forum, and should have know better!)

I booked two cash return tickets WTP + upgrade to Club with avios booking (LHR to YVR) yesterday online.

After thinking about it this morning, it seemed high. I re-checked the price of WTP and noted that i had paid over $1300 CDN plus points for the 2 tickets to be upgraded. This was much higher than past experience, where at worst case I might have paid about $300 CDN per ticket in taxes or $600 total.

Upon calling, I spoke to several agents, at first push back, then some acknowledgement that something didn't seem right. Sent down to fares team, they review and insist it is right. Talk to another agent, ask them to price the cost of an upgrade to WTP tickets to Club for the same dates if I buy a ticket today. I am quoted $170 CDN per ticket in extra taxes (100 GBP) Sweet!

So, I buy the new tickets and upgrade, at a total cost of $832 CDN lower than yesterday's transaction. Transfer back to Gold team and cancel yesterday's booking (since it was made within 24 hours)

@:-) So not a new one, but the reminder/moral of my story - don't combine a cash booking + upgrade to avios in an online booking, without doing your homework first on what the extra taxes should probably be ... Or keep the two transactions separate
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FIFAFLYER
I booked two cash return tickets WTP + upgrade to Club with avios booking (LHR to YVR) yesterday online.

So not a new one, but the reminder/moral of my story - don't combine a cash booking + upgrade to avios in an online booking, without doing your homework first on what the extra taxes should probably be ...
I suspect that you may have hit a different problem, if you booked and upgraded in one go and did the whole lot online, so that you never saw the cost of the upgrade quoted separately.

This is a situation in which ba.com sometimes does not sell you the cheapest underlying WT+ fare if you book and upgrade at once from scratch. So I suspect that what is more likely to have happened originally was that you paid a higher underlying WT+ fare but the correct amount for the upgrade from that.

If you book an underlying WT+ fare on its own, you may get the lower fare (if this is happening, you are likely to be getting a DIF) and then when you upgrade you will similarly pay the correct amount for the upgrade from that.

If that's what happened to you, it's a different situation from the OP's.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Club Carlson Gold,
Cool, thanks for this information, Globaliser! Knowing this, I am sure you must be right, based on my call with BA and how I did my booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.