Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA bringing back the second meal on long haul routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA bringing back the second meal on long haul routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by snidely
BTW - Working people eat breakfast around 7AM, Lunch at noon-1PM, Dinner at 6. That's about 5-6 hours between meals.
Try working in London

Most people eat around 06:00 to get into the City for 08:00,08:30, then a snack at 10, lunch at 12:00, 12:30 or 13:00, then judging by the huge numbers of people I see chowing down a sandwich or similar at the station or on the train, another snack-meal at 17:00, followed by (I presume) dinner later on

About 4 hours between food seems the norm to me
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alawrencenyc
Real problem is that BA's staff - ground and air - couldn't be ruder, and international passengers arriving in Heathrow are herded like cattle thru passageways where carry-on baggage is snatched away "because it's not allowed in the cabin" never to be seen again. They could gild the seats and give them away for free and I still wouldn't fly that miserable airline.
I too can't relate BA to the above comments, even with it's known shortcomings. There must be another underlying reason for such angst, indeed not everone likes we Brits. Try entering Houston or NYC as a foreigner, 1.5 hours in-line in the former, and can staff be either very rude or very welcoming.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
To be honest, I find eating (and drinking obviously) on planes not just about sustenance, but also to help pass time!
For me it's all about breaking the monotony of long haul travel. To be honest they could give me a sandwich a coffee and kit-kat every few hours and I'd be happy. I keep the fine dining experience for when I'm on the ground sitting at a proper table....I can also nip outside for a fag when I have my brandy.
Porky Speedpig and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
For me it's all about breaking the monotony of long haul travel. To be honest they could give me a sandwich a coffee and kit-kat every few hours and I'd be happy. I keep the fine dining experience for when I'm on the ground sitting at a proper table....I can also nip outside for a fag when I have my brandy.
Methinks that Moscow might be a good place for you to go. Oh, but no Kit Kat!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest
Methinks that Moscow might be a good place for you to go. Oh, but no Kit Kat!
I don't normally do WT although at the right price I would especially on a short flight. If he expected to eat steak in WT to Moscow he was always going to be disappointed.....
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A couple of co-workers (who absolutely shop for cheapest etc have no loyalty and find me bonkers playing the rewards game) have also pointed this story out to me today. It shows, that for the very cheapest, food etc is very much high up on their agenda. I wonder how many people have moved away or avoided BA due to such cuts ?
it is interesting for me reading this thread, as it seems like most of the respondents are fortunate enough to fly BA in something other than WT. For those of us stuck in the back, the catering changes have made an impact (likely because the rest of the "WT environment" has always been painful). On the longhaul overnight TA's from the US to LHR, our second "meal" has gone from a snack box with pastry, yogurt, granola, and snack bar a few years back, to a very unappetizing "breakfast bar" thing, which I only eat in times of great need. I leave home after dinner and reach LHR in the morning -- due to BA scheduling and the time it takes to connect at LHR, 3 times out of 5 I'm desperately rushing to make a connection, and have no time to stop in the lounge or purchase anything before getting on my next flight. As such, if I don't pack myself something to eat, it can be late afternoon or early evening in Europe before I can get my "breakfast." As BA has cut back on catering, I've started to pack myself snacks and such, but it does make me wonder why I stick with BA, given that I often pay a premium for the ticket, and even AA now has a better breakfast food offering. Sure the food is a trivial cost compared to the ticket price and not a factor in whether they get me where I'm going, but it does influence my mood on the flight and when I reach my destination, and the more miserable my Y experience becomes, the less likely I am to repeat it (and actually, I did switch a fair bit of flying to AA metal last year, despite the routings being longer and less convenient).
This is to say nothing about the decline in the first meal-- its not bad by any means, but the quality and selection has definitely declined. Again, a small thing compared the overall trip, but for me, the sticky toffee pudding was enough to lift my spirits even in the most cramped cabin.
headingwest likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by snidely
Humans do not need to eat every 4-5 hours.
My doctor recommends I eat a small meal every 3-4 hours. Just because you don't need to eat that frequently, doesn't mean others don't.
fransknorge likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by whimsey21
it is interesting for me reading this thread, as it seems like most of the respondents are fortunate enough to fly BA in something other than WT. For those of us stuck in the back, the catering changes have made an impact (likely because the rest of the "WT environment" has always been painful). On the longhaul overnight TA's from the US to LHR, our second "meal" has gone from a snack box with pastry, yogurt, granola, and snack bar a few years back, to a very unappetizing "breakfast bar" thing, which I only eat in times of great need. I leave home after dinner and reach LHR in the morning -- due to BA scheduling and the time it takes to connect at LHR, 3 times out of 5 I'm desperately rushing to make a connection, and have no time to stop in the lounge or purchase anything before getting on my next flight. As such, if I don't pack myself something to eat, it can be late afternoon or early evening in Europe before I can get my "breakfast." As BA has cut back on catering, I've started to pack myself snacks and such, but it does make me wonder why I stick with BA, given that I often pay a premium for the ticket, and even AA now has a better breakfast food offering. Sure the food is a trivial cost compared to the ticket price and not a factor in whether they get me where I'm going, but it does influence my mood on the flight and when I reach my destination, and the more miserable my Y experience becomes, the less likely I am to repeat it (and actually, I did switch a fair bit of flying to AA metal last year, despite the routings being longer and less convenient).
This is to say nothing about the decline in the first meal-- its not bad by any means, but the quality and selection has definitely declined. Again, a small thing compared the overall trip, but for me, the sticky toffee pudding was enough to lift my spirits even in the most cramped cabin.
why are you sticking to BA. Since BoB I have said enough and started using other airlines. In longhaulI tried AF, KL and TK and was amazed on how they treated their Y passengers. I am sure LH, LX , OS and VS are also better. Vote with your feet and complain as much as you can on social media. This is the only thing BA understands.
headingwest likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Is there any mention of a timescale for the resinstatement of the second meal on LH economy flights such as LHR-LAX?

I am in WT+ next week LHR-LAX on BA281 (the 787-9 service), and would like to know what to expect beyond the first meal.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
Is there any mention of a timescale for the resinstatement of the second meal on LH economy flights such as LHR-LAX?

I am in WT+ next week LHR-LAX on BA281 (the 787-9 service), and would like to know what to expect beyond the first meal.
This route has never lost the second meal in Y / W
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I cant help but think it may take some time to win people back with these changes. I previously was very loyal to BA, taking them even if they were more expensive as I thought they were somehow"better". After all the changes, I started shopping around as I realised that in economy BA was no different from Easyjet and others.

This year has opened my eyes, I have flown EasyJet, TAP, American, Emirates, Air Asia (no BA alternative here) and one BA trip. This has shown me that many other carriers can match, and in some aspects exceed BA, and has allowed me to save money and fly at more convenient times. I still consider BA, which is rarely cheaper but sometimes wins on convenience. However, I no longer feel any loyalty towards them, and if there's an Emirates A380 going the same way BA has no chance... If I'm similar to other previously loyal BA customers, its going to take a long time to reverse the reputational damage and become the airline of choice again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.