Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express card fee to make a BA booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express card fee to make a BA booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by A1pax
I have read about this. I have booked a cruise for Alaska and paid a deposit of £600 plus 2.5% MasterCard fee £15 a few months ago. The balance (£3,500)is payable in mid February 2018. The agent said I would have to pay the 2.5% card fee! I hope this is not true and I should not have to pay this outrageous fee. Will wait and see ...
My reckoning is you will not have to pay the fee however the agent has the right to refuse a credit card and insist on debit card or another for of payment. The UK government are doing this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you happen to put Gibraltar as the country accidentally instead of the United Kingdom but keep everything else as your address...the fee will disappear
RJD1983 and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by A1pax
I have read about this. I have booked a cruise for Alaska and paid a deposit of £600 plus 2.5% MasterCard fee £15 a few months ago. The balance (£3,500)is payable in mid February 2018. The agent said I would have to pay the 2.5% card fee! I hope this is not true and I should not have to pay this outrageous fee. Will wait and see ...
If this is a UK agent then it would be unlawful to charge you any fee for using your card. Your card issuer would no doubt charge back any such fee if it was taken automatically.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
If you happen to put Gibraltar as the country accidentally instead of the United Kingdom but keep everything else as your address...the fee will disappear
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by robiles
My reckoning is you will not have to pay the fee however the agent has the right to refuse a credit card and insist on debit card or another for of payment. The UK government are doing this.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If this is a UK agent then it would be unlawful to charge you any fee for using your card. Your card issuer would no doubt charge back any such fee if it was taken automatically.
Thanks, robiles and Tobias-UK. I will report back if I get charged the card fee next February. Yes, it is a UK agent.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And it’s already unlawful, if memory serves, to charge a fee materially in excess of the actual cost to the merchant of processing the payment, which is more like 0.7% these days.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ianwall
Just a reminder these fees only apply to people selecting the UK on the card payment screen.

My BA Amex often feels a strong connection to Ukraine when paying for BA flights and delivers a tidy saving
....or Germany...
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gbs1112
I was astounded to have £40 added to my proposed booking with BA for using 'their own' card.
'Twas ever thus, sadly.

You will see different attitudes on FT about the propriety of being asked a straight question and giving an answer that you know to be untrue, just because the lie will save twenty quid.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It's not BA's card by any means. Just a cobranded marketing gimmick.
Technically true but you could say the same thing for a plane painted in BA’s colours but operated by a different company. Trying to disown it when it suits BA’s book is shoddy and verges on deceptive.
NeverFirst and johnspenceruk like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Technically true but you could say the same thing for a plane painted in BA’s colours but operated by a different company. Trying to disown it when it suits BA’s book is shoddy and verges on deceptive.
Very different scenarios: It's BA's business to operate flights, but it's not BA's business to operate a credit card. Nobody could reasonably think that BA is representing that the card is anything other than an American Express credit card that has some British Airways affinity branding with some associated benefits. And nowhere is there any promise that this particular American Express credit card is exempt from BA's credit card fees.
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by rossmacd
....or Germany...
Or pretty much any other country in fact. I have it even saved in my BA profile so I don’t have to retype the address/country combo every time. Glad to hear I can put back UK in the country field as of January!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Always interesting to hear at what price people are willing to compromise their integrity.. surprising to see it at <£20...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by McCoy
Always interesting to hear at what price people are willing to compromise their integrity.. surprising to see it at <£20...
What price is it for you? I am sure that the views up on the moral high ground are worth the cost.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by McCoy
I suspect there's more than an element of treating others the same way they treat you.

Always amazing me people expect a customer to have a higher moral integrity that the company providing the service.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 6:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.