FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Never have enough Avios to use 2 for 1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1875878-never-have-enough-avios-use-2-1-a.html)

GodAtum Nov 5, 2017 6:48 am

Never have enough Avios to use 2 for 1

I never have enough Avios to use my 2 for 1 vouchers which is a real shame. Anyone else in the same boat?

corporate-wage-slave Nov 5, 2017 6:50 am

And I never have enough time for either my 2-4-1s or the CWS Avios mountain.

There's probably a happy middle ground somewhere!

Globaliser Nov 5, 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum (Post 29020672)
I never have enough Avios to use my 2 for 1 vouchers which is a real shame.

If you don't even have 4,000 Avios, then you're really not trying hard enough.

thebigben Nov 5, 2017 6:59 am

A 2-for-1 comes with at least 15k avios. Which is almost enough for a return in Club Europe. That's not the most optimal use, sure, but I'm thinking Club Europe is nice.

Knickam Nov 5, 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum (Post 29020672)
I never have enough Avios to use my 2 for 1 vouchers which is a real shame. Anyone else in the same boat?

If you have a voucher you should have at least 15000 Avios enough for a Zone 2 flight

HIDDY Nov 5, 2017 7:03 am

I don't have an AMEX so no 2-4-1 voucher either.
Judging by the amount of first world moans you see on here from those who do I reckon I'm the lucky one. :D

d3vski Nov 5, 2017 7:11 am

I have been in the opposing situation.....have the 2-4-1s and avios but not the time to use them. I lost both mine and the wives this year due to a large house purchase and the wife giving birth to our son.

This resulted in me adapting to a new strategy as the 2-4-1s no longer suit our needs.

The BA Amex has been ditched and the avios are now my own personal stash where I will use them solely to pursue my own particular travel and leisure purposes. Primarily for short sharp trips where the wife would have no interest in coming.

For our yearly big holiday with the family (and now little one), which will resume post summer 2018, I will simply suck up the cash fares. It helps that wife likes to go east and thus Qatar helps by killing 2 birds with one stone. A good J class combined with ability to restock my own Avios balance.

The moral of the story is that you need to make the system suit your own particular circumstances and not the other way around. Find a sweet spot that works for you and exploit it!

nivsy Nov 5, 2017 7:32 am

I think 241 vouchers should be transferable to those flyertalkers who can use them.....it seems such a waste to see so many discounted! 😋😫

GodAtum Nov 5, 2017 7:32 am

I'd like to use the voucher for long-haul, eg: far east in F. I guess I can buy Avios, 35k for this year and another 35k next year.

Globaliser Nov 5, 2017 8:03 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum (Post 29020796)
I'd like to use the voucher for long-haul, eg: far east in F.

If you want to get that sort of use out of your 2-4-1, then realistically the only option is likely to be to do some paid premium cabin flying to earn Avios. LHR-HKG-LHR in F, for example, is 120,000 / 102,000 (peak / off-peak), and LHR-SIN-LHR is 140,000 / 119,000.

Buying 35,000 Avios this year and 35,000 Avios next year, added to your 15,000 from the spend to get your 2-4-1, isn't going to be nearly enough.

madfish Nov 5, 2017 8:11 am

I'd like to use the voucher for long-haul, eg: far east in F. I guess I can buy Avios, 35k for this year and another 35k next year.

Or get the AMEX platinum, do the required spend and get 35k MR points (transferred to avios)
and then cancel the card for a pro-rata refund,

(35k subject to being recommended.)

sts603 Nov 5, 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by d3vski (Post 29020745)
I have been in the opposing situation.....have the 2-4-1s and avios but not the time to use them. I lost both mine and the wives this year due to a large house purchase and the wife giving birth to our son.

This resulted in me adapting to a new strategy as the 2-4-1s no longer suit our needs.

The BA Amex has been ditched and the avios are now my own personal stash where I will use them solely to pursue my own particular travel and leisure purposes. Primarily for short sharp trips where the wife would have no interest in coming.

For our yearly big holiday with the family (and now little one), which will resume post summer 2018, I will simply suck up the cash fares. It helps that wife likes to go east and thus Qatar helps by killing 2 birds with one stone. A good J class combined with ability to restock my own Avios balance.

The moral of the story is that you need to make the system suit your own particular circumstances and not the other way around. Find a sweet spot
that works for you and exploit it!

So what rewards credit card are you using instead?

marshy11 Nov 5, 2017 8:32 am

How are you collecting your avois currently?

There are lots of ways of collecting without stepping foot on a plane. It isn't for everyone (too tedious for me) but taking surveys, Amex churning, Tesco club card, online shopping portals etc etc.

baggageinhall Nov 5, 2017 8:53 am

I had the Amex PP with a £35 annual fee until earlier this year when they decided to scrap the huge fee remission that some of us had. They later reversed their decision but despite three attempts at getting my old card back, I've failed.

I've had an Amex Gold since March and with little prospect of using the 2-4-1, the ability to credit miles to different programmes and the benefits which will pay for the annual fee from next year, I've decided to stick with the Gold card.

Added to that, I read the Head for Points article on the new Iberia card with status and I think Raffles is right with his prediction of a future BA credit card.

T8191 Nov 5, 2017 8:55 am

A few l/h holidays, with flights and hotels and Avis/BA car rental paid on the BA Amex PP, plus all grocery shopping at home, plus anything/everything we spend abroad ... doesn't seem to be a problem ;)

Nearly 400,000 in the HHA right now.