Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding despite valid travel documents to enter Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding despite valid travel documents to enter Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Well, fair point, I guess I am assuming since he was able to travel from BOS to YYZ that he has a valid eTA but that may not be true, maybe the second airline was just more lenient or didn't notice.

I guess there is a lot we don't know about what exactly went wrong here. Hopefully the OP can report back if/when he can get to the bottom of it (if he cares at this point).
The point I was making is that the airline does not have any discretion, either the passenger is 'authorised to travel' or they are 'unable to board'. The airline cannot overrule that, it cannot be lenient.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The point I was making is that the airline does not have any discretion, either the passenger is 'authorised to travel' or they are 'unable to board'. The airline cannot overrule that, it cannot be lenient.
Based on this AC must have been satisfied (which also was communicated by checkin lady).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Based on this AC must have been satisfied (which also was communicated by checkin lady).
Yes, your PNR will have been given the 'authorised to fly' at check-in. When you checked in with BA you obviously got the 'unable to board'. We just don't know why, the Canadians apparently told BA you were not cleared to travel.
flamboyant 1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Nothing exemplifies this forum like the first few responses I read:

- OP's fault
- I did a five minute google search and now know more about it than the OP
- BA are never wrong
- Even if BA are wrong it's still OP's fault
- Go ahead and switch airlines. Who cares?

My favourite was "if you encourage your students and colleagues to avoid BA, you're abusing your academic position. That is shameful"

The guy had a very frustrating and annoying situation. As for the situation itself, I would just make sure I somehow had this number and continue to pursue the situation with BA and the UK regulator.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
But, as I understand it, you are still unable to demonstrate you had an ETA that was active at the time and still haven't answered the timescale of when you received your permanent resident status (which would invalidate the eTA in relation to the flight, I can't get rid of niggling issue of timing being at the point of change not being a factor currently.

Last edited by navylad; Nov 8, 2017 at 3:20 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:26 am

I'm afraid if BA did contact the Canadian authorities and they advised BA you did not have the correct travel documents/leave to enter then issuing court proceedings against BA would be futile.
Are "Canadian authorities" like the supervisor at an Indian call center? Basically another Indkan with less of an accent
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It is ironic that as a tourist all this would have never happened.
I'm not sure that we can say that with confidence. If it was a communications glitch that led to your eTA not being found, that could have happened to a tourist's eTA too. There would have been a similar wailing and a gnashing of teeth - perhaps here on FT, too. And with hindsight, the best pre-emption might have been exactly the same, namely to have a separate note of the eTA number so that a specific attempt could be made using that. I'd have been just as frustrated if it had happened to me, and I would have had to fall back on my old mantra: if you travel, expect something to go wrong.
flamboyant 1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hopefully the OP will get to the bottom of what actually happened at check-in, whether the system did indicate "unable to board" or if the agent simply got stuck, who was consulted, what questions were asked etc. etc. Too many unknowns to pinpoint what went wrong and Google is not going to provide the answers.

The one positive here is that BA apparently re-routed the OP to BOS without additional cost - this is amazingly generous IMHO. They were under no obligation to do this AFAIK. Not sure if the OP had to request this or was proactively offered the re-route but nice to know that the authority and flexibility still exists at LHR to allow it.
flamboyant 1 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SCSA
Nothing exemplifies this forum like the first few responses I read:

- OP's fault
- I did a five minute google search and now know more about it than the OP
- BA are never wrong
- Even if BA are wrong it's still OP's fault
- Go ahead and switch airlines. Who cares?
I think we are all guilty of this to different degrees and at different times.

Certainly there are people on this thread who have jumped to one of two common positions, either: "Definitely BA's fault, as usual they have completely messed up" or "Definitely the OP's fault, BA bent over backwards and did much more than they needed to". Neither reaction can possibly be stated as accurate based on the limited facts on hand. As others have said, we don't know for sure what exactly went wrong but hopefully the OP will find out.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Agree with the above. Thank you all for being polite and constructive...and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion of course.

Most importantly, I do not want anyone else to be left behind.

After gathering your first insights in this thread I have enquired through regular customer service once more with BA. My comments are followed by BA's reply.

I am sympathetic that your agents followed advice from the Canadian Authorities. Of course that is the way to go and from legal perspective right for BA to do.

However, it matters what was asked and if whom you asked are very familiar with new work permits. I wonder what questions were asked. Details as to work permit issue date etc. matter.

Second, while I was asked repeatedly for an ETA and even encouraged to set up a new one, my work permit has it automatically attached. Perhaps I could have looked it up, but not in the flight connections area without wifi...and in fact, I do not even need to print the ETA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-facts-en.asp

Finally, BA's statement in the explanation that 'with only a work permit' I am not admissible to Canada is wrong because all work permits issued after August 2015 come automatically with an ETA. So I had the work permit, the automatically issued ETA, and my valid passport. And as stated before, with that I can enter Canada and did so twice that week including the next morning. That's rather clear circumstantial evidence that what I had was sufficient to enter Canada and perhaps not the right questions were asked.

Also making a Gold member in Business Class stand for almost 90 minutes in the Flight Connections area without a place to sit, without anything to drink, without wifi to do research and perhaps rectify the situation on his/her own is just poor customer service.

Hence, while from a legal point of view you are not liable to reimburse my additional expenses, you could have done so from a customer service perspective.

I am actually surprised that premium customer retention is apparently not intended by BA. Hence, the first 42,095 actual miles flown in January and February 2018 I booked with other carriers. Maybe you and your supervisor can reconsider the decision or offer another sign of goodwill, e.g. in the form of Avios or another form of your choosing. I leave it to you. Thanks for understanding my perspective.
The response:

Thanks for your reply email. I'm sorry you're still unhappy with my colleagues' previous responses.

When we liaise with the relevant authorities about travel documentation, all factual information to hand is shared correctly and confidentially. We seek the professional guidance of those who are experts in their profession. Please be assured the correct questions were asked and answered during our discussions. As we've previously advised, once the decision was made by the Canadian authorities to deny entry, we're bound to adhere to their decision.

As travel authorisations are primarily held electronically, checking this with the Canadian authorities can be done swiftly. However, Electronic Travel Authorisations, visas and work permits are extremely complex and must be thoroughly checked before a decision can be made if a passenger can travel. It's disappointing to hear during this time our staff didn't offer to make you more comfortable during your wait, especially as an arriving Club Europe passenger. Please be assured this has been fed back to our Customer Experience team.

While I appreciate why you're asking, we're not able to offer a gesture of goodwill for this as the decision to deny entry was made by the Canadian authorities. I'm sorry to disappoint you as I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for.

Your loyalty to British Airways as a Gold member of our Executive Club is greatly appreciated. We hope you have a great flight with our partner, Cathay Pacific, from XXX. If there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to contact me directly using the blue link below.
This makes clear that BA decided that BA never makes mistakes. Its computer system is 100% accurate and its agents always ask the correct questions (despite the complexity). Indeed, the customer can just leave.

This is an easy decision then for me, reinforced by the fact that BA has just closed its lounge in YYZ and thereby took away the sleeper service.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:47 pm

Agree with the above. Thank you all for being polite and constructive...and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion of course.

Most importantly, I do not want anyone else to be left behind.

After gathering your first insights in this thread I have enquired through regular customer service once more with BA. My comments are followed by BA's reply.

The response:

This makes clear that BA decided that BA never makes mistakes. Its computer system is 100% accurate and its agents always ask the correct questions (despite the complexity). Indeed, the customer can just leave.

This is an easy decision then for me, reinforced by the fact that BA has just closed its lounge in YYZ and thereby took away the sleeper service.
No. it makes clear that it was the Canadian Authorities that told BA you could not travel : " ...While I appreciate why you're asking, we're not able to offer a gesture of goodwill for this as the decision to deny entry was made by the Canadian authorities...".
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Might it have been simple as "machines sometimes break" or "machines sometimes don't talk to each other properly"? I don't know why people expect that just because the eTA checking works almost all of the time, it must work perfectly every time.
Or there might have been a very unfortunate timing at play.

Is the following scenario a possibility:

At the time the OP's permanent residency was being granted and eTA was cancelled, he was trying to check in. Thus no eTA but he wouldn't have known, BA wouldn't have known (and even if they advised the OP to look it up, it wouldn't have been found), and the Canadian authority (possibly the Embassy) may not have known the situation real-time with permanent residency causing the eTA to be cancelled and therefore they didn't see an eTA and didn't see the permanent residency either?

Therefore it was no-one's fault and it was purely an unfortunate timing.

I remember someone having somewhat of a hairy moment due to Australian residency and electronic travel authority combination and that is what made me think of it. It happened to be that the local office that dealt with change of visa category was open and therefore they advised what was going on, and they managed to sort it out but it was quite a mess, or so I was told.
flamboyant 1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Fair point on the timing, perhaps. But I specifically asked if anything was odd both with AC and when going through immigration the next day and was told no.

@ Tobias-UK - BA always asks the correct questions?

I was not denied by Canadian authorities in person though. Anyway, just shared what BA thinks.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Up to that point I was inclined to believe the airline had checked with a Canadian official, but the tone of this new reply casts many doubts. Firstly, it smacks of copy-paste. Also, while Canadian authorities are mentioned, it states ‘we check with experts in their field’ (e.g. not the authorities, otherwise we’d say so). Finally, I am highly sceptical that ‘Canadian authorities denied you entry’. If this was the case, you would also have been denied entry the following day arriving from the States.

The intro and end of this letter also means ‘end of the road from customer services’ so no point pursuing further with them. Next steps really, as has been suggested upthread, is a data request to figure out what happened exactly and who was asked what.

As a personal point, I would also recommend not to get the ‘I am gold and badly treated’ point back in any further correspondence. It just distracts from the main topic.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Up to that point I was inclined to believe the airline had checked with a Canadian official, but the tone of this new reply casts many doubts. Firstly, it smacks of copy-paste. Also, while Canadian authorities are mentioned, it states ‘we check with experts in their field’ (e.g. not the authorities, otherwise we’d say so). Finally, I am highly sceptical that ‘Canadian authorities denied you entry’. If this was the case, you would also have been denied entry the following day arriving from the States.
Indeed.

A genuine “denied entry” would be on the OPs CIC immigration record, very easy to check and highly unlikely not be referenced less than 24hrs later as the OP cleared Canadian immigration.

The two most likely scenarios are:
I) The “unable to board” situation already described upthread due to some combination of system issues, PR timing etc. - essentially the computer says no (for now), or
II) Generic travel advice from whatever experts were consulted (visacentral?) coupled with an inexperienced agent - i.e. ready to board status was not actually checked

Not sure how much value there is in pushing this further (diminishing returns....) but it may be worth requesting a copy of the full PNR including all agent notes (quick to do in my very limited experience).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.