Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To Fly. To Serve (notice) [data protection breach]

To Fly. To Serve (notice) [data protection breach]

Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Boten
You actually went and accessed another person's booking on MMB? You complain here about data breaches but then actively go and use someone else's data to do the one thing that you are worrying about. I am shocked.
I think the MMB access was to make sure it was a genuine person and not a generic name they use (John Doe). That way the OP could determine if it was a genuine data breach.
inasmuchas and allturnleft like this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
You actually went and accessed another person's booking on MMB? You complain here about data breaches but then actively go and use someone else's data to do the one thing that you are worrying about. I am shocked.
It is also fairly clear that the intention was to validate the assumptions the Op had made. I suspect in the same position I might do the same.

This is being treated with increased serverity under the law, as stated the possible fines have increased to give the ICO real teeth. BA had better be aware of this sooner rather than later.
inasmuchas likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Aeschylus
BA has a duty to report itself to the ICO after receiving inasmuchas's complaint, as the data breach will involve a large number of people. The OP ought to report it to the ICO her/himself as well, as in my experience companies and organisations are often reluctant to self report.

Also, BA has a duty to inform the person whose data they gave to the OP that there had been a data breach.

Whether or not the breach was deliberate is immaterial.
Is it possible to actually access anything but the MMB from that booking without being asked for ID and password?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by smokie36
Is it possible to actually access anything but the MMB from that booking without being asked for ID and password?
Normally just need booking ref and surname
Remember a lot of people are not part of an FF programme
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
The exact same announcement about zero tolerance and it was a corporate decision etc etc was made on the BA1459 going back down. We assumed you lot coming up were the trouble makers
inasmuchas and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
I did, and as others have correctly asserted, I did so purely to determine if BA had indiscriminately distributed another passenger's information. I had hoped that it wasn't, but like you, I was shocked when it turned out to be a genuine booking. Having established it was real, I exited the booking and have not used the information since.

It then occurred to me that if I had been handed a voucher with another passenger's information, then either everyone on board was being given this specific information, or another passenger on the flight would have been given a voucher with my information. Neither of these scenarios is acceptable.

As I said in my original post, I have contacted BA to advise them of what occurred, however I am yet to receive a response.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...presumably 160 vouchers...
I'm not sure if anyone who was in Y on FRI has confirmed they were offered a voucher, but when an equipment swap on my 7am to EDI led to no catering a few weeks a go the voucher was only offered to J pax in an initial onboard announcement, then seemingly to all in a mistaken / ill ad-libbed "vouchers will be available as you enter the terminal". Even for that small number there was a big disconnect between what ground and air crew seemed to understand and be doing. I'm not sure anyone got a voucher, since the Js were up and away before they were available, and the Ys just created a melee asking for the voucher that wasn't there .

All in all not very useful then, and seemingly no better now .

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
It wasn't. I won't publish the name here, as out of curiosity / disbelief I was able to access their booking via MMB on ba.com.
Were they in Y on the EDI segment .
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: joey
Given the shambles that BA sadly has become I suspect the Captain knows from experience what responses might be expected from pax and acted pre-emptively. I've heard similar announcements before, although the last announcement I heard was more along the lines of "we're sorry and please don't take it out on the crew" rather than "we have a zero tolerance policy".
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by allturnleft
I don't usually check bags except for family hols but these details are also shown on luggage tags that pax tend to discard in public places aren't they? And boarding passes. I've wondered about the wiseness of airlines doing that but not alerting pax to the need to protect this data. A consequence would seem to be that the information already less protected than we might imagine.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by BA6948
couldn't they just offer some M&S items to CE passengers from what was left from previous flights? I mean I am sure BA could pay Tourvest for what has been given away for free.

I think that BA has cut corners so much that any disruption can affect its service in all possible ways including catering and service recovery. A bit sad I have to say.
You are assuming the bar carts were left onboard.If they were removed,and the new ones failed to appear,there would be little to give out.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I don't usually check bags except for family hols but these details are also shown on luggage tags that pax tend to discard in public places aren't they? And boarding passes. I've wondered about the wiseness of airlines doing that but not alerting pax to the need to protect this data. A consequence would seem to be that the information already less protected than we might imagine.
however, it’s one thing you picking up my bag tag off the floor and accessing my booking.
it’s another thing the airline itself handing out my sensitive information.
Calchas and Worcester like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
No one has yet explained what sensitive information can be gained here.

Anyone give a definitive answer?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Remember a lot of people are not part of an FF programme
and the cancel the flight. Can you imagines BA response to you pitching up for your return flight and claiming you didn’t cancel the sector. They would blame you, say you gave someone access etc etc.

Its shocking, utterly indefensible and needs to be reported.

The flight was I fear par for the course as BA will always target U.K. domestics for delay/cancellation in disruption. With no competition why wouldn’t they. Gone are the days the moved he’ll and high water die BMI competition.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by binman
and the cancel the flight. Can you imagines BA response to you pitching up for your return flight and claiming you didn’t cancel the sector. They would blame you, say you gave someone access etc etc.

Its shocking, utterly indefensible and needs to be reported..
Beyond giving them a crappy seat for their return, I don’t think you can cancel a reservation without the cc #
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by smokie36

That is slightly missing the point. BA appears to be breaking the law and should stop.

I can't check BA at the moment but on the TK equivalent is my
  • email address,
  • the first and last three digits of my payment card,
  • FF number,
  • full itinerary,
  • transaction date and time (handy if you are trying to get past security on telephone banking),
  • meal preferences
  • seat selection for upcoming flights

You would be surprised about what a clued up thief can do with that. Some people are more exposed than others, I have a unique name and it would be fairly quick to pin down my date of birth, address etc.

Other people may be affected in other ways. Might not be great if you are a VIP and sat next to a tabloid journalist on an 8 hour flight...
Calchas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.