Wiki Posts
Search

AUP on BA while crediting to AA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
AUP on BA while crediting to AA

I AUP'd a BA (purchased/marketed/metal) flight and was credited it as the original economy flight.

I thought an AUP gets you the upgraded class credits. I know that is the case to for BAEC. was I wrong or should I call to fix it?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
I don’t know about the combo you stated above (ticket by one and credit to another), but it is a well known fact that AA does not credit AUP tickets to the upgraded class (however BA does, usually, although with some exceptions) so unfortunately I think you are tough out of luck here, but someone with some more experience of the AA system may have different advice?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
I don’t know about the combo you stated above (ticket by one and credit to another), but it is a well known fact that AA does not credit AUP tickets to the upgraded class (however BA does, usually, although with some exceptions) so unfortunately I think you are tough out of luck here, but someone with some more experience of the AA system may have different advice?
I have done AUP twice this year on BA flights (BA#, BA metal, BA ticket, AA FF#) from WTP to J and both times I was credited based on a I fare class.

I have no idea what is meant to happen and the difference isn't that great, but its always nice to have a few more EQDs and RDMs.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
All the flights I have AUP have posted to the flown class to both baEC and AA but I have not done so this year so things may indeed have changed.

What are the official rules for this? If it is not clearly stated that the upgraded miles will be credited it may be difficult to appeal successfully.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias
What are the official rules for this? If it is not clearly stated that the upgraded miles will be credited it may be difficult to appeal successfully.
I think it's up to the operating airline to decide how a flight is credited to whatever FF program is on the ticket. BAs policy is to credit as per the flown cabin rather than the booked one, if AUP'd, so I think it's worth putting a claim in with AA for this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

This was all BA. Should have gotten me the upgrades miles.

not sure what to tell aa....
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
I think it's up to the operating airline to decide how a flight is credited to whatever FF program is on the ticket. BAs policy is to credit as per the flown cabin rather than the booked one, if AUP'd, so I think it's worth putting a claim in with AA for this.
I would appreciate more input on this issue (I have to AUPs not credited to the 'flown' class and makes a huge difference to my status).

Should I contact BA, why did you not send AA the correct flown class, as I did -pay- for it (and if so who in BA does one contact?) or should I contact AA telling them that BA did not post the correct class?

What is the BA policy on upgrades? is it supposed to post to the higher class and is there a link to said policy?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I would appreciate more input on this issue (I have to AUPs not credited to the 'flown' class and makes a huge difference to my status).

Should I contact BA, why did you not send AA the correct flown class, as I did -pay- for it (and if so who in BA does one contact?) or should I contact AA telling them that BA did not post the correct class?

What is the BA policy on upgrades? is it supposed to post to the higher class and is there a link to said policy?
POUG - credit as per upgraded/flown cabin
AUP - credit as per upgraded/flown cabin
UUA - credit as per originally booked cabin
Op-Up - credit as per originally booked cabin
AppUp - presumably same as POUG

However, this is how it works when crediting to BAEC. I can only assume this is what BA would send over to AA when choosing to credit there. I have no experience of AAdvantage.

The posts above suggest it should work the same way when sending the points to AA. In any case, I'd push AA on it and see what they say. No harm in asking.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
POUG - credit as per upgraded/flown cabin
AUP - credit as per upgraded/flown cabin
UUA - credit as per originally booked cabin
Op-Up - credit as per originally booked cabin
AppUp - presumably same as POUG

However, this is how it works when crediting to BAEC. I can only assume this is what BA would send over to AA when choosing to credit there. I have no experience of AAdvantage.

The posts above suggest it should work the same way when sending the points to AA. In any case, I'd push AA on it and see what they say. No harm in asking.
where is the written BA policy on this (with that I could call AA)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
where is the written BA policy on this (with that I could call AA)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17917613-post15.html:-
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Hi there

There is a thread from some time ago where I clarified this but I can't seem to find it.

If you upgrade a cash ticket which has had no subsequent upgrade since the time of purchase you will receive the Avios and Tier Points for the upgraded cabin.

If you upgrade a booking with cash and then pay for a further upgrade at the airport you will receive the Avios and Tier Points for the cabin travelled.

If you upgrade with Avios, use a GUFT voucher or receive an operational of complimentary upgrade for service recovery and then pay to upgrade you will receive the Avios and Tier Points for the original cabin booked and paid for with cash

I hope this helps

Regards

Nicci
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I fly a fair bit of BA discounted biz, a mix of AA ticket stock and BA ticket stock and then AUP to F at the airport. When crediting to Aadvantage, AA ticketed always will yield only originally ticketed class (I) and not F accrual. Some of my BA ticket stock trips have reflected the upgraded cabin, but its not a given when crediting to Aadvantage.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I have done AUP twice this year on BA flights (BA#, BA metal, BA ticket, AA FF#) from WTP to J and both times I was credited based on a I fare class.

I have no idea what is meant to happen and the difference isn't that great, but its always nice to have a few more EQDs and RDMs.
Same here, I AUP'd a WT segment purchased from BA's website LHR-SFO in September and was credited by AA with full biz class EQM and EQD for that segment. The full itin was SFO-LHR-ACC r/t.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

So it seems there is no hard and fast rule as to what happens to AA credit on BA AUPs. I still asking for a link to the BA policy that it does credit to flown class. That will certainly help with AA discussion.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I still asking for a link to the BA policy that it does credit to flown class.
I'm not sure that you're going to do any better than that which I have already posted.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:29 am

Why don't you just e-mail or tweet them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.