Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Flight 'Dynamic Pricing' Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Raffles

What am I doing wrong?! You live in London, work for a bank, but read a US FF site and not the one specifically aimed at bankers living in London ....!
He's got a better loyalty scheme mate. Sorry.

(PS - nice use of rhyming slang there)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

What am I doing wrong?! You live in London, work for a bank, but read a US FF site and not the one specifically aimed at bankers living in London ....!
He said "used to work for RBS", so no longer there. In any case, they tend to have more of a BFOD policy now so that must have been from a while back.

The flexibility on status piece is interesting, QF have had that for some time with Platinum (OWE) where often they will gift a new year of status to you if you don't make it over the line looking at things such as your average TP (Status Credits, in their programme) earn over a number of years etc. It's done automatically too, so no need to engage and beg.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I saw ridiculous YQ for SIN-BKK sector on CX when redeeming BA Avios.

Has this been changed recently?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
The flexibility on status piece is interesting, QF have had that for some time with Platinum (OWE) where often they will gift a new year of status to you if you don't make it over the line looking at things such as your average TP (Status Credits, in their programme) earn over a number of years etc. It's done automatically too, so no need to engage and beg.
BA do this too. I know someone who doesn't count the TPs, but has been Silver or Gold for years with about 20k Lifetime TPs. Finished his collection year on 585, and got renewed at Silver without contacting BAEC.

Clearly anyone on FT would take an extra day trip rather than take the risk, but it does happen.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:33 pm

Update on BA Customer Focus

I have not flown BA for some years, but for an upcoming trip to the UK, I found some reasonably priced business class tickets, and I made the purchase. Today I called to reserve seating, and I had to pay $488 USD for seat assignments for two people. The discussion about the loyalty program has no meaning for me. I will never fly with them again. The business model makes no sense. They sell you a miserable experience, and then they incrementally charge you to make the experience less miserable. If I treated my customers like that, I would have no customers. I wish them the same.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by bisonrav
(PS - nice use of rhyming slang there)
Ah yes. I thought it was just a typo!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Prof_Dr_G
I have not flown BA for some years ... I will never fly with them again.
The very feature that you've highlighted means that those who fly BA or its oneworld partners to any significant extent usually get a much better choice of good seats on the aircraft even if they are booking relatively late in the cycle.

So tell us, in your business would you prefer to:-
  1. [*]
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Bumping up this thread...
Rob (Head for Points) commented on HfP on US Avios Class Action settlement, that the devaluation plan of Avios has been approved at BA Board, and will be implemented when the IT is sorted.
And he also noted ex-Avios CEO now works at Etihad Guest (Ref: www.headforpoints.com/2018/06/01/british-airways-pay-2-2-billion-avios-settle-us-class-action-lawsuit-settlement-devaluation-alert/)
(Etihad will turn dynamic pricing later this month...)

Rob's projection today seems to be A LOT worse that what he commented in late March... (Ref)
Should we expect the worst case scenario that Avios would become completely dynamic pricing, or at least it would become almost worthless that now is the right time to jump ship?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by marcolau317
Should we expect the worst case scenario that Avios would become completely dynamic pricing, or at least it would become almost worthless that now is the right time to jump ship?
Seems like a reasonable conclusion.. go for it.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If the decision has been made by the BA board prior to the agreement on the class action settlement, a planned devaluation should be declared as part of the deal, no?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
If the decision has been made by the BA board prior to the agreement on the class action settlement, a planned devaluation should be declared as part of the deal, no?
rather the deal sounds like another good incentive to devalue.

its coming, almost every other airline at it too. All peak of cycle stuff so no doubt a recession and then the desperate ‘please cone back to us promotions and avios bonuses’ a matter of 2-3 years away.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Reading the Etihad article I don’t see dynamic pricing as part of the devaluation (maybe I missed it). Dynamic pricing is where your mileage currency is just used to pay for the fare. The current fare is more expensive? Then you need more points to redeem.

CX Asia Miles is about to introduce dynamic pricing as part of their changes from 22 June. But standard fixed awards still exist alongside it. Qantas has the same - fixed awards with “anytime” pricing as another option. I would expect that BA would do the same when they introduce dynamic pricing. Otherwise there is no hook for the avios earner to aim for something “I want my free flight to Spain and I’m saving my supermarket points for it”. Or at least the hook becomes a lot more blurred.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have just burnt my last 100k ish Avios buying a dozen RFS tickets to destinations I am likely to want to visit over the next 12 months.

As I get free changes, there's not much downside tbh - I know I can get the cash component back if I cancel and as/when Avios devalue I have a stash "parked" at a fixed rate which I can either burn as booked or write down to the new value...

It's not high finance but it keeps me happy
florens likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
This all seems to have gone quiet. Any updates for us plebs?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:38 pm

As I’ll trigger my first Amex 2-for-1 fairly soon, and am still a little short of what I’d need to have for the redemption I have in mind, I hope BA’s IT infrastructure (or the cogs of BA’s senior management devaluation squad) are still creaking very slowly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.