Community
Wiki Posts
Search

paying for seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
Fascinating. I'd never noted on this site any statistical significance as to national origin with respect to requesting a seat assignment at time of booking. Nonetheless, continuing with this suggested premise, I find it unconscionable if not, well, rude, that a provider of a higher level of service would deem it acceptable to tack on fees for a seat that can cost thousands of dollars (above and beyond economy). Is it not "normal", independent of nationality, that one would expect greater amenities commiserate to something advertised as "premium" and that which carries a heftier price tag from the start?
I find it unconscionable if not, well, rude, that a provider of a higher level of service would deem it acceptable to tack on fees for airport lounge access on a domestic first class ticket that can cost thousands of dollars.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:55 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
I have, and I don’t. Even if it was that, why would it be an exclusive complaint of posters from America?
I'm not sure that we've actually established the veracity of that assertion with any significant statistical level of certainty.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm no fan of paying for seat selection in J (but I can see the reason someone with status would appreciate the policy), but it isn't a secret and is just factored in to the overall cost of the ticket, I generally fly OW J long haul(a couple of times a year ish)but have no loyalty to anyone particular airline so go with a number of factors including price, schedule, hard/soft product and pick one that suits my needs.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:34 am

I’ve got 241 to LAS booked in J but hoping for availability in F to open up. If I pay for seat allocation for J, would BA refund me if availability opens up and I upgrade to F?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:42 am

Good question, I'm in the same boat with a 241 to SIN, never thought about it till now.......I'm pretty sure the answer will be no refund though.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Slliw
I’ve got 241 to LAS booked in J but hoping for availability in F to open up. If I pay for seat allocation for J, would BA refund me if availability opens up and I upgrade to F?
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Good question, I'm in the same boat with a 241 to SIN, never thought about it till now.......I'm pretty sure the answer will be no refund though.
Yes a refund is possible, see here for details in the Refund section, since First gets seat reservation as part of the fare:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds
LBA_flyer and Slliw like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:50 am

Thanks for that c-w-s, I would probably have just assumed the opposite. ^
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On what grounds? I mean is it more "unconscionable" or "ruder" than, say, LH who credit fewer miles on some discounted J tickets than on Y tickets? Or that QR which denies lounge access on upgraded tickets? Or that US airlines which do not give you first class lounge access where you have paid for a first class domestic ticket? Or airlines which sell you completely inflexible J or F tickets where cheaper Y ones might be changeable and refundable?

Ultimately, every ticket sold in the airline industry comes with its own perks and limitations and I'm not clear what would make seat pre-assignment so much more 'obviously' part of J or F perks than any of the other possible service elements mentioned above which are also allowed on some tickets (or to some passengers) but not others.
With all due respect, I'm speaking to, and only to, the matter of tacking on a fee for advanced seat selection in business class, the basis for this thread. Frequent-flyer miles, lounge accesses, etc. are orthogonal to this specific subject and frankly appear as a deflection from the topic.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
With all due respect, I'm speaking to, and only to, the matter of tacking on a fee for advanced seat selection in business class, the basis for this thread. Frequent-flyer miles, lounge accesses, etc. are orthogonal to this specific subject and frankly appear as a deflection from the topic.
while others on here would argue the opposite. For BA, free access to seat selection is a FF benefit, just like miles, lounge access etc.

The issue of pay for lounge over paying for a seat when buying a "premium" ticket when you have no status is pretty much the same issue. Just different providers benefits differently

I like the benefit, because I have status!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Not in the slightest. It’s simply being pointed out that you have chosen to assume that certain add-ons which you are accustomed to having at no charge would also be available to you at no charge when flying British Airways, and we’re pointing out the way that certain add-ons which British Airways passengers receive at no charge come at an extra cost with many US airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.