Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA connecting to a China Southern flight at LHR

Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond

Due to a new corporate policy I am not doing my usual Edi-Lhr-Hkg - then on up to China trip and tomorrow night I am on EDi_LHR on BA then over to T4 for the flight to Guangzhou. I have a connection time of 2 hours in Heathrow which might be tight if this fog continues. I have just done my OLCI and can only get my EDI-LHR boarding pass, probably because someone needs to check my visa at the airport.
My question - will they issue my boarding pass at EDI check in for the CZ flight and if not where do I get it. Sorry, I have never had to change terminal and carrier at Heathrow for years so I am a bit dim on this one
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Just to check: are you doing this on one ticket, or two separate tickets?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just to check: are you doing this on one ticket, or two separate tickets?

Oh I should have said one ticket number but two booking references (which I believe is normal)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If one ticket (assuming this is a corporate single booking) I think it is unlikely they can do it in EDI, though certainly worth asking, but either way it's important to take a copy of the itinerary. since to use Flight Connections airside, HAL requires you to present proof of onwards travel in the case of domestic to international travel. It's not needed for international to international connections. You show this when you leave the UK arrival area and pass to T4 flight connections. If you don't have a boarding pass when you get to T4 there is a desk there for you to get it sorted out.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 2, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot - not the kind of thing I want to do on a tight connection particularly if there is fog tomorrow but I have a copy of the e itinerary so fingers crossed the flight connections at T4 doesn't have long lines at it. I hate this new cheapskate policy!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
I hate this new cheapskate policy!!!!
What "cheapskate policy" are you referring to?

If you have checked bags, don't forget to show the CZ check-in agent the bag tag receipts that were issued by BA in EDI, so they can take the numbers down. Otherwise there'll be a risk that the bags don't get loaded because they can't be positively identified as belonging to you.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Globaliser
What "cheapskate policy" are you referring to?
I assume the employer policy of making the employee transfer at LHR to China Southern rather than an in-alliance journey via HKG. Little I've read about China Southern makes me want to travel on them (other than as an... interesting cultural experience).
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
I assume the employer policy of making the employee transfer at LHR to China Southern rather than an in-alliance journey via HKG. Little I've read about China Southern makes me want to travel on them (other than as an... interesting cultural experience).
Got it in one - add into this mix the fog and today is going to be fun....
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it in one - add into this mix the fog and today is going to be fun....
Understood. Hope it goes well this evening.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you misconnect to China Southern, ask for rebooking on BA via HKG :-)
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you misconnect to China Southern, ask for rebooking on BA via HKG :-)
That will be my approach but I suspect I will be unlucky
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Just reporting back Edinburgh were able to issue a boarding pass for the second leg so it was relatively straightforward at Heathrow from that point of view.
My plan to avoid CS catering was scuppered though. I’d planned to eat the meal on the Edi - Lhr flight but no catering was loaded at London. Apparently due to a supplier issue several flights had to go uncatered on Friday afternoon. Better than cancelling I suppose. Vouchers were issued for Ł10 which costa and WH Smith took. - not brilliant if you need like me to avoid most bread but a gesture I suppose.

I did have the misfortune to venture into the SkyTeam lounge in T4. Remember times there pre T5 days. I will never moan about galleries again. The food was so awful little choice and the lounge lizard had to be prized from her phone and chewed gum through our conversation- the issue was my generic boarding pass didn’t say J on it.

I won’t talk about the China Southern experience other than to say it did make me wonder if I would be better to push for premium economy BA rather than my usual business class given that it would keep the bean counters happy but be a better onboard experience. The best bit was the hot - yes hot not warm - tattinger served with a glass of boiling water on the side. I don’t know who died to give the main courses but I just had to pass on t hem. I did get a nice bit of cheese (singular) though. Not a business class product imho compounded by no in flight privacy to work or sleep
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I won’t talk about the China Southern experience other than to say it did make me wonder if I would be better to push for premium economy BA rather than my usual business class given that it would keep the bean counters happy but be a better onboard experience.
Thank you for reporting back. I did fear that this wasn't going to be a good experience. Even if BA is supposedly "middle of the pack", there are plenty of other airlines that lurk below and China Southern would easily be one of them. BA's fares to China can be expensive, it has to be said, though you can probably see why, given the so-called competition. If you have the misfortune to do this sort of trip again don't forget to reach out on this forum for alternative options, I suspect that starting in Inverness or Copenhagen may be part of this. Or going WTP and UuA into CW.

However I hope you are now enjoying the sights and sounds of Canton/Guangdong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.