Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancellations and delays 02/11/17

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Airprox
BA is not a US airline.
No kidding.

Originally Posted by Airprox
Nope. BA contact centers can only rebook over the phone on other Join Business Venture flights, so BA, AA, IB, AY. The only people who can book your mother on another carrier are the agents at the airport I'm afraid.
That's a shame and makes no sense at all. Is it a system limitation? Would seem more advantageous to allow phone agents to make those changes. I'm surprised EU regulation doesn't cover this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mh3265a
No kidding.

That's a shame and makes no sense at all. Is it a system limitation? Would seem more advantageous to allow phone agents to make those changes. I'm surprised EU regulation doesn't cover this.
It's the norm with most European airlines. US airlines work differently with phone centres having more freedom than the airport agents! Both systems have their advantages and limitations.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's the norm with most European airlines. US airlines work differently with phone centres having more freedom than the airport agents! Both systems have their advantages and limitations.
What's the advantage to limiting your call centers ability to handle IRROPS? Not seeing a clear advantage there.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
AA have also been cancelling a few of the LAX-SFO rotations this morning due to some cloud and ATC so not just LHR. At least 3 that I can see.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mh3265a
What's the advantage to limiting your call centers ability to handle IRROPS? Not seeing a clear advantage there.
It's basically about deciding who you empower to make decisions which will cost the company a lot of money. Most European airlines consider that only airport staff can figure out how desperate the decision is (for instance they are best aware of the latest details on likely further delays or cancellations etc) and consequently take responsibility for those costly decisions whilst call centre staff should stick to rerouting within policy (ie the airline or its key partners). US airlines effectively tend to avoid having too much ticketing staff at airports hence their preference for greater centralisation through the call centre.

Whilst selfishly I prefer the US version, I actually find the European version makes more business sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.