Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I always have a handful of Starbucks cards in my carry on as a thank you for truly excellent service. Probably hand out one every 10-20 flights at most, the last time to a young cabin crew member who worked tirelessly to look after the entire upper deck single handed on a Miami flight when short crewed. She seemed to genuinely appreciate it and said it had made her day and almost wanted to cry.

Chocolates I've given out once when flying with my kids TATL on Xmas Eve and they were bought in the terminal. Whilst I can appreciate there's a theoretical risk, it doesn't strike me as one anyone would try who wished for any realistic chance of success. Perhaps banning flight crew from consuming such food would make sense.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
For goodness sake, a well meant "thank you" or such like is all that is needed. Do you give your lawyer chocs? Or your dentist or doctor? No, I thought not
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by offtothehills
For goodness sake, a well meant "thank you" or such like is all that is needed. Do you give your lawyer chocs? Or your dentist or doctor? No, I thought not
I know people who give their doctor chocolates or wine at Christmas (or whisky if it's been a bad year).
offtothehills likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by McCoy
I have once, and once only, bought a box of chocs from the duty free trolley, and immediately given it to the crew member, as a thank you for particularly kind service earlier in the flight.
They were opened and consumed in the galley with colleagues, and I think were appreciated.

But that was a single, personal moment. I don't think I'd gift the crew pre-emptively. Would seem creepy to me.
i dont want to be seen creepy. whatever happened i would only buy from on board duty free and give it to them when its just handed to me by thanking them.

i've done it once because the crew helped me out a bit (more than just a thank you note).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:20 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Wayland
I always have a handful of Starbucks cards in my carry on as a thank you for truly excellent service. Probably hand out one every 10-20 flights at most, the last time to a young cabin crew member who worked tirelessly to look after the entire upper deck single handed on a Miami flight when short crewed. She seemed to genuinely appreciate it and said it had made her day and almost wanted to cry.

Chocolates I've given out once when flying with my kids TATL on Xmas Eve and they were bought in the terminal. Whilst I can appreciate there's a theoretical risk, it doesn't strike me as one anyone would try who wished for any realistic chance of success. Perhaps banning flight crew from consuming such food would make sense.
Sorry but Starbucks! Please that has to be the worst coffee I would take that as an insult sorry
nollag likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I think this is much more 'au fait' on the ME3 airlines.

I take a couple of boxes of white chocolates whenever I fly on QR ex-CDG - based on the suggestion from crew friends who work for QR, that they prefer white to milk/dark.

M
Why would you do this? A couple of boxes?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Anyway, it would be interesting if we could have a few staffers chime in and confirm whether there are indeed any rules/guidelines on acceptance and consumption of passenger foodstuffs on duty. Particularly relating to flight deck crew and easily-contaminatable items like mince pies.
On a related note, it would also be interesting to know what the current rules are on the pilots eating / not eating the same meal whilst on board.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think the only time I've done this was a magazine that I had read and had it in the table, was chatting to the CC about the person in the front cover, he mentioned that he hadn't read that issue, so I gifted it to him, but wasn't to thank him or anything, would do the same to a fellow passenger, cleaner in a hotel or a stranger in a restaurant.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by fdem
Sorry but Starbucks! Please that has to be the worst coffee I would take that as an insult sorry
Bad luck you then, other people get pleasure from it. I would expect only a minority of people would take a well intentioned gift as an insult.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
On BA 233 LHR-DME this morning, the guy boarding in front of me handed a duty free bag of chocolates to the lady checking the boarding cards at the door. They were gratefully received.

Turns out this guy was seated across the aisle from me in first row of WTP. A few mins later the CSM comes along, says thanks for the chocs and "by the way this seat here is free. You can sit here today" pointing to last row in CW.

I might have to try that trick Probably the cheapest upgrade I've ever seen.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
My brother bought a bag of sweets for crew on a domestic flight in Y. He then sent me a pic of them drinking a comp glass of Champagne. He was delighted !
Old May 6, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
I agree.

Given that passengers aren't allowed to take sharp objects on board in case they're used to incapacitate air crew or take them hostage, surely airlines can't allow their crew to accept edible gifts that might contain drugs or other harmful substances? If I were a crew member I wouldn't want to risk my own health, or the safety of everyone else, by eating food given to me by a passenger or any other stranger. A well-organised terrorist group can easily create packaged goods that look like they haven't been tampered with.

Why create a situation that could cause embarrassment for the crew; they either have to refuse the gift and risk offending the passenger, or accept it and bin it.
Who says they will eat it on board?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
When I fly BA long haul I usually take on and give the crew a box of duty free chocolates. I do tell them that I am BA staff first though, just in case they think I've given them a box of rat poison. The gesture is always appreciated and the payback is that I can hover around the galley and have someone to talk to for the whole flight.
Anonba and becks1 like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:46 am

My friend and I gave the CW crew a bag of Wine Gums and Haribo.

He's now dating one of the crew members 2 months later.

So you know, give your crew sweets - good things could happen.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Extraordinary variety of opinion! For me its just not 'British'!! But also it smacks of expectation, which is not always deserved. In my view if you smile at someone (including cabin crew) they will smile back. Essentially if you are a good passenger, then this will be reciprocated with great service. And, as someone else has said, if you are Gold, you have Gold Tickets. If deserved, I will let the individual concerned know towards the end of the flight that I will be sending the Gold Ticket email. I don't expect anything in response, but I do enjoy the warm glow that it seems to confer on the individual cabin crew member the vast majority of whom are genuinely surprised and delighted to be given the ticket......just make sure if you do tell them that you actually do follow up and send the Gold ticket via the website
Can I help you and SKT-DK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.