Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I respect the CC for what they do, and appreciate their efforts [much of the time]. But 'tipping', in any form, seems strange to me.

I know we tip our invaluable 'staff' at Christmas [postman, bin-men, etc] but this general idea seems a step too far ... especially at the beginning of a random flight. Perhaps I might consider a 'seasonal gift' if flying at that time of year [Note to self: CPT-LGW 22 Dec, LGW-JER 23 Dec, CW/CE crew only] but otherwise I don't think so.

And I/we have no desire to fill our carry-ons with potential gifts IF the service warrants it at the end of the flight. What do we do with them if the service was cr@p?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:09 pm

I am flying on Sunday and have decided to make the crew some sandwiches. Could any crew please advise me whether ham or cheese would be the best filling for a sandwich on a 07.55 three and a half hour flight?

PS I am going to wrap them nicely with blue ribbon for the boys and pink for the girls. I think the crew will enjoy them.
GadgetGal and Orange.Man like this.

Last edited by Greenpen; Nov 1, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by robiles
What are people’s views on giving a small gift upon boarding to your FAs? Does it come across as shameless bribery or it’s it genuinely appreciated?
that will be completely inappropriate. First of all the flight attendant may believe you are making a sexual advance . Second it is rude to give a tip before the service has begun!

If you want to kgive a tip to a flight attendant please wait until the end of the flight. You will be rewarding a job well done also writing a letter to the management stating the name of flight attendant and conveying how professional and friendly the flight attendant was. It will be the best tip you can give to a flight crew
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What are people’s views on giving a small gift upon boarding to your FAs? Does it come across as shameless bribery or it’s it genuinely appreciated?
When I pay thousands and thousands of pounds for a ticket I don't expect to have to give out gifts in order to get good service.....thought I'd say that before someone else did.

My wife receives the odd gift usually from little old dears who can least afford it....she's over the moon when it happens. Then there was this smarmy estancia owner who promised her a suckling pig after she went out of her way to get his kid a passport so he could travel. Over a year later and the pig still hasn't arrived.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Don't pay thousands and thousands for a ticket, HIDDY. You know better by now, surely?

But some nice seasonal beef sausages would surely be appreciated ... if you can get them through the Border[s]

I'm contemplating some South African-themed Christmas decorations for the CC and the Flight Deck, if they're cheap enough
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by parisi
In a word: "No"
Somewhat to the point, but thank you parisi for that contribution, and welcome to the British Airways forum on Flyertalk. I'm hoping you have also for the Southwest Airlines forum, which may also be of interest to you.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
My daughter made some origami animals for the crew "to brighten up the galley". She was 5 and they seemed genuinely touched. They returned later with a paper plane they'd made, coloured in full Ba colours, signed by our crew members and the flight deck crew!
That's just sweet!

I have read on another travel forum that parents of small children sometimes bring something to share not only with the FA's but also with passengers sitting nearby. While I do not think that's necessary, I do appreciate the idea that they realize their child may be a loud distraction at some point during the flight.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Cheesy. I'd never do it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
No ! Weird ...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: aeroplan
When I travel long haul with my child upfront, I usually bring enough sealed boxes of Godiva or other decent brand chocolates for the flight crew to share. I have my daughter give them at the beginning of the flight as a thank you in advance for all the extra work a child can occasionally bring to the J and F ...in my daughter's case the work is minimal as she just wants her seat reclined into a bed, her things gotten from the overhead or wherever they have been stashed (by me) and to be left alone.

Obviously I'm not looking for an extra glass of wine or an upgrade as I'm upfront already but having being subjected to cranky-face pax because I'm traveling J or F with a kid (regardless of how well behaved), I can only imagine what comments and looks the FAs are subjected to. If we can brighten their day a little bit it is well worth the "embarrassment" of being gauche.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Tacky. Embarrassing. Cringe-making.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:46 pm

When I travel internationally in F or J, I often bring a small gift of appreciation, and only give the gift midway during the flight, if i feel the service is of good quality, along with a little thank you note. Most of the time they are extremely delighted. As someone who had a previous career in hospitality, I think a little gift goes a long way and I certainly do not intend to bribe FA's and Pursers with gifts, I just want to say thank you.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.

Last edited by ksflyer; Nov 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Tacky. Embarrassing. Cringe-making.
Agree. It's naff.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ksflyer
When I travel internationally in F or J, I often bring a small gift of appreciation, and only give the gift midway during the flight, if i feel the service is of good quality, along with a little thank you note. Most of the time they are extremely delighted. As someone who had a previous career in hospitality, I truly think that sometimes it does make a big difference to the crew.
What do you do if service doesn't overwhelm? Ditch the gift? Take it home? Give it anyway?

Sounds like a very odd idea.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
What do you do if service doesn't overwhelm? Ditch the gift? Take it home? Give it anyway?

Sounds like a very odd idea.
I keep it, It's always something like Godiva chocolates, so it can be given to someone else or I can keep it? I just like to do it as I have had a previous career in Hospitality and I have found that when I am working long hours for what is not especially good pay, a little gift does go a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.