Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by baflyer999
Great. What am I supposed to do with all these 7ft high stuffed Harrods teddy bears now then?
Ground staff need some love as well !
LTN Phobia and gliderpilot like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
I guess “culture” is the big thing here... I am (being a Canadian) a fairly generous tipper compared to the Brits, on average. I tip at the end of the meal when presented with the cheque, and always ask if the staff gets to keep the tip if added on credit card, or if restaurant skims on top, in case I will tip in cash...

Had the most interesting experience from a cultural perspective on my last trip to Beirut a month ago... went out with some locals, and as we entered the restaurant, the local seemed out the maitre d’, proceeded to give him some cash. He then tipped the waiter again at during the middle of the meal, and tipped again at the end... when I asked hi, about why tipping that much, he said that rather than loading 100% tip on the end, he did 50/25/25, and it worked really well... best service I have ever experienced. Cultural differences I guess...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The only "gifting" I used to do was on trips to Asia. On the return leg, I would "buy" from a porter one of the small/medium flower displays in the hotel, normally leaving the hotel late in the evening for one of the 11.00 pm flights, for a sum of a couple of UKP equivalent, carry it in the car/taxi to the airport, and present it to whoever checked me in.
I described this to colleagues who thought it was a great idea - who gives stuff to the check-in folk? No-one. A couple of times it enabled colleagues to get in to J when they were waitlisted for J. I never saw it as bribery, and as far as I can tell, the recipients enjoyed it. It caused me to smile, and the check in staff smiled aswell. They probably thought I was mad. Doing the travel I used to do, I probably was mad.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:19 pm

As an exFA, I think it is generally a nice gesture. When I travel on longer flights I generally bring a gift of chocolates for the crew and provide it to the purser at the beginning of the flight. The crew appreciates the token and can enjoy during the flight.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Très psyhophantic if you ask me...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by baflyer999
Great. What am I supposed to do with all these 7ft high stuffed Harrods teddy bears now then?
Start a political party?

Form a niche boy-band?

Sell them to Stoke City - they'd make a better defence!
kaka and mike&co like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Ground staff need some love as well !
Flying on boxing day a couple of years back we brought some mince pies on board and gave them to the crew. We had no expectation of better service as we were in F anyway. It just seemed like a nice thing to do with some tasty treats (that otherwise wouldn't be eaten) for those working on boxing day.

At any other time of the year, I wouldn't do it.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by robiles
your FAs?
On long-haul at least, there could be 20+ crew, several of which will serve you.

Just curious, on boarding, how do you know who 'your' FA(s) will be ?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:50 pm

Creepy
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very tacky indeed!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:07 pm

Have done this a couple of times in the past.
2/3 bags of fun size bars of chocolate when flying long haul outbound from Lomdon or on long short haul routes (where I know the crew are doing a return back to London). My "thing" is to wait until after the meal service in order to determine the tone of the service and crew serving me. If its all good then I'll usually take them to the galley as a "thankyou" for the great service. If the service isn't up to anything resembling half way decent, they remain in my carry on for my own consumption. Whenever I've given in the past, it's always been well received and shared amongst the crew on board. A couple of times the CSD/CM/CSM on long haul have also come by and thanked me later in the flight. It's not designed to be construed as bribery, it's just a token gesture of my appreciation for what they're doing. I'm sure not all crew appreciate BA crew meal offerings and the lack of a half decently stocked Club kitchen that is probably off bounds to most I'd have thought.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn’t consider a sweet treat for crew working Xmas, Easter, NY anything other than a nice thought. This has made me think now
CaroFos and Klrduks like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:33 pm

My daughter made some origami animals for the crew "to brighten up the galley". She was 5 and they seemed genuinely touched. They returned later with a paper plane they'd made, coloured in full Ba colours, signed by our crew members and the flight deck crew!
aztimm, PETER01, orbitmic and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thedmgroup
As an exFA, I think it is generally a nice gesture. When I travel on longer flights I generally bring a gift of chocolates for the crew and provide it to the purser at the beginning of the flight. The crew appreciates the token and can enjoy during the flight.
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk and to the BA forum thedmgroup, it's really good of you to join us and I very much hope we will see more of you. All newcomers are welcome, but current and former cabin crew can often bring particular and interesting perspective. Welcome on board.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines
In a word: "No"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.