Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lloyds upgrade voucher on fifth freedom routes

Old Nov 1, 17, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond, VA, BA, AA, SQ, CX

Hi all, I've had a look and couldn't find anything which quite fits, but apologies if this has already been covered.

Basically, I have a Lloyds upgrade voucher (1x return or 2x one way) which expires at the end of the year, and I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to use it on SYD-SIN; I can see availability on BAEC for J/W on various dates, but when I try to book it only offers Y on every single date I try. Given I can find availability on SIN-LHR no problem, is there an issue with using the voucher on fifth freedom routes or something?

I haven't tried yet, maybe a job for tomorrow, but can I actually call the contact centre to sort this if it doesn't work online (and is indeed possible at all)? The T&Cs state that the booking must be made online...

TIA, any advice appreciated! Worst case I suppose I could visit some people in the UK for a few days!
Old Nov 1, 17, 8:44 am

You can call them - you also have to call them if you're looking to book one-ways...

Not sure about booking fifth freedom routes
Old Nov 1, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I think the issue is more with the availability on SIN-SYD...
Old Nov 2, 17, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
You can call them - you also have to call them if you're looking to book one-ways...

Not sure about booking fifth freedom routes
Thanks, that's good to know, I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Old Nov 2, 17, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
I think the issue is more with the availability on SIN-SYD...
True, availability is lacking, but I can find it using BAEC and can even proceed to payment, but when I try using Avios' website it initially appears (in the availability calendar when selecting J) but vanishes when I try and proceed.
Old Nov 3, 17, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I find the same as you, and get a similar problem whether I'm using a voucher or not. And the issue is the same on UVF-GND as another example, which is not short of availability.

I suspect it is a problem displaying fifth-freedom flights, maybe down to their pricing, rather than being related to voucher limitations, so I imagine you can get round it by calling them up.

[I didn't know this but the avios.com and BAEC call centres are one and the same, at least at times, so I doubt they'll struggle to see that the availability exists. I got through to avios.com 2 minutes before closing and felt guilty I wanted to make 3 bookings, but the agent was on a continuing BAEC shift, not an overrunning avios.com one.]
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
I find the same as you, and get a similar problem whether I'm using a voucher or not. And the issue is the same on UVF-GND as another example, which is not short of availability.

I suspect it is a problem displaying fifth-freedom flights, maybe down to their pricing, rather than being related to voucher limitations, so I imagine you can get round it by calling them up.

[I didn't know this but the avios.com and BAEC call centres are one and the same, at least at times, so I doubt they'll struggle to see that the availability exists. I got through to avios.com 2 minutes before closing and felt guilty I wanted to make 3 bookings, but the agent was on a continuing BAEC shift, not an overrunning avios.com one.]
That's good to know, many thanks Pauldb. I've been away, so haven't had a chance to follow up, but I'll see how I get on. I've got no real need to go there, but it seems a shame to waste the voucher and I love Singapore, so it's more of an excuse than anything else .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: