FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   British Airways Flight 81 Heathrow (LHR) to Kotoka International Airport (ACC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1874916-british-airways-flight-81-heathrow-lhr-kotoka-international-airport-acc.html)

Craig Oct 30, 2017 5:49 pm

British Airways Flight 81 Heathrow (LHR) to Kotoka International Airport (ACC)

1 Attachment(s)
An aging Boeing 747 made a rather 'forceful' landing today. My wife took this photo moments after ...Attachment 42882

stuart101 Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm

It must look far worse than it was as the return flight has departed on time

goodison Oct 30, 2017 5:59 pm

So that's what happens if you press the crew call button!

Firipu Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Yikes! Hope there were no serious injuries

Jagboi Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm

I had something similar upon a hard landing at LHR in 1998 on Canadian Airlines in a DC10. One of the large plastic roof panels came down on impact with the ground. Struck a lady on the head in the row behind me. Had to bring the paramedics on board, as head wounds tend to bleed a lot.

There are a lot of wires and cables in the roof of a DC10!

UKtravelbear Oct 30, 2017 7:38 pm

The age of the plane makes little difference.

A hard landing is a hard landing.

zibawal Oct 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 28996864)
The age of the plane makes little difference.

A hard landing is a hard landing.

Terrifying

Globaliser Oct 31, 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 28996491)
My wife took this photo moments after ...

Hopefully it was more than "moments" after, but actually after the aircraft had decelerated, turned off the runway, taxied to the stand and parked. And the seat belt signs switched off.

Although I gather that on some routes, that sort of discipline may not be universally encountered.

Originally Posted by stuart101 (Post 28996523)
It must look far worse than it was as the return flight has departed on time

Then it must actually have been a great landing.*

* According to the old aviation joke: A good landing is any landing you can walk away from. A great landing is when they can use the aircraft again.

AJBChina Oct 31, 2017 3:15 am

I remember my first ever flight on a 747, back in the 70s when the -100 was the pinnacle of the industry, making a hardish landing at YYZ and a section of oxygen masks dropped....which was of course a signal for much screaming and fumbling to attach the masks as we rolled out! Despite my tender years I managed to establish that the mask wasn't going to do much good....;)

ahmetdouas Oct 31, 2017 3:22 am

deleted

scottishpoet Oct 31, 2017 3:24 am

I have had it happen on a hard landing at SFO when he came in high and dropped it on tbe runway coz of the fog

bhbloke Oct 31, 2017 3:25 am

It looks like the pilot has adopted my landing technique from the flight sim session a few weeks ago.

I'm glad BA were able to take something from my visit. :cool:

Stewie Mac Oct 31, 2017 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 28997885)
Hopefully it was more than "moments" after, but actually after the aircraft had decelerated, turned off the runway, taxied to the stand and parked. And the seat belt signs switched off.

Why? You can use small electronics during landing, and a phone (in flight safe mode) or compact camera certainly comes into that category. So long as she was holding it securely ... and I guess she must have been, otherwise it would have gone flying!

710 77345 Oct 31, 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 28997956)
Why?

Everyone in the photo is standing up... but I think 'moments after landing' can easily apply to the plane being on stand.

shefgab Oct 31, 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 28997956)
Why? You can use small electronics during landing, and a phone (in flight safe mode) or compact camera certainly comes into that category. So long as she was holding it securely ... and I guess she must have been, otherwise it would have gone flying!

I imagine the timing is based on the aisles being full of people, so probably a taken once the aircraft was on (or vaguely) near the stand.

Regarding the ceiling panels, don't these just "pop back in"? I mean they're not permanently fixed like wall panels, but can be opened when necessary. I imagine the last person to access them for maintenance didn't replace them quite as diligently as they should have, thus all it needed was one big thud to shake them loose? It also appears to be just 3 panels, rather than throughout the aircraft. I've had this once before, but it was on an Air Koryo Tupolev.