Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two different six-digit numbers on baggage tag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Arriving at LGW from TRN this morning, I was rather mystified to find two different six-digit tracking numbers on the label attached by the check-in staff to my (one piece of) hold luggage. One in the box where the flight number and large "LGW" was printed, the other in the box which contained my name etc.; this second number was also printed on the small adhesive labels the check-in staff can remove and put on the bag, and was also the number given on my bag receipt.

I don't think I've ever seen something like this before (e.g. when my bags have been delayed in the past), but am I misremembering? It struck me that there would potentially have been consequences if the bag had been lost.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by catscall
One in the box where the flight number and large "LGW" was printed ...
Did it say something like BA2345 / 301055, and are you referring to the 301055 (or its equivalent)?

I think that's the date and time of the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Indeed it is - it was / 301020. How I didn't realise that/had never noticed before is beyond me...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by catscall
How I didn't realise that/had never noticed before is beyond me...
It's not always printed like that on a bag tag. I have a suspicion that it depends on the check-in / bag-tagging system being used at the airport in question. So it may not have appeared consistently on previous bag tags anyway.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks - glad I wasn't just being completely stupid! What interests me is the response I will get from customer services - I mentioned it in an email about a whole lot of other issues with the last couple of flights I've taken. I wonder what the cut and paste reply will be...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.