Wiki Posts
Search

Did i make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Did i make a mistake?

I think i've mucked up. Managed to bag a great rtn flight from Edi-Lhr-Sfo in CW in Early Nov. £1400. UuA into first on way out. BUT..its in a 747. Been reading recently in numerious post about how even first in the 747 is looking and feeling abit shabby..and that i should have gone for the later flight on the A380...im sure it will be a good flight but..for the same Avios..could i have done better?. I managed to get row 2 on 747 so i think thats a plus?..on way back we're upstairs in 64...thoughts??
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think you can be very happy with what you’ve got! First on the 747 is not that bad.

By all means, if you’ve booked in the last 24 hours and you can rebook for the same price+Avios on the A380 service, rebook and cancel your existing booking. In that order.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Switch to the upper deck on your outbound flight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Marschel
Switch to the upper deck on your outbound flight.
First.....
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Is F on A380 better than 747 = IMO yes.
Is F on the 747 a bad way to fly = No

I would take whichever has the best timing for you
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by jock
I think i've mucked up. Managed to bag a great rtn flight from Edi-Lhr-Sfo in CW in Early Nov. £1400. UuA into first on way out. BUT..its in a 747. Been reading recently in numerious post about how even first in the 747 is looking and feeling abit shabby..and that i should have gone for the later flight on the A380...im sure it will be a good flight but..for the same Avios..could i have done better?. I managed to get row 2 on 747 thought so i think thats a plus..on way back we're upstairs in 64...thoughts??
Personally, I love the F cabin in the 747 for all the 'wrong' reasons. Many on here would argue that the A380 cabin is objectively the best BA F product, and I'd agree. You can read more in this thread.

BUT, F in a 747 feels classic (old!), it feels like it won't be around much longer (it won't!), it feels like you're in front of the flight deck (maybe you actually are!), it feels private (cramped!), it feels less 'corporate' (again, old!). There is something unmistakably nearing-the-end-of-an-era about it, which I know many might find simply makes it an inferior product to that on the A380, but if you still feel there's more to flying than just the practical and the physical - i.e. the emotional! - I think you'll love it.

Row 2 in F is great, bettered only by 1A/K. I also love 64 (especially A or K) on the 747 - a lovely, little spacious corner of CW, very private, very quiet, lots of storage.

It sounds to me like you've got a terrific combination there. And by 2024(?) you can tell people about the time you flew F on this strange, extinct BA aircraft.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:56 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
The 380’s will be with us for years to come. No matter how many times I fly on the 747 I still have that buzz that this aircraft gives me. Your seat selections are great and personally I believe you made a great choice. Enjoy the 747 while you can.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jock
I think i've mucked up. Managed to bag a great rtn flight from Edi-Lhr-Sfo in CW in Early Nov. £1400. UuA into first on way out. BUT..its in a 747. Been reading recently in numerious post about how even first in the 747 is looking and feeling abit shabby..and that i should have gone for the later flight on the A380...im sure it will be a good flight but..for the same Avios..could i have done better?. I managed to get row 2 on 747 so i think thats a plus?..on way back we're upstairs in 64...thoughts??
Nice use of your Avios. F reward availability to SFO in Nov has all but dried up so I must congratulate you on your impeccable timing
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
You did well getting F uuA to SFO for your dates, the chances of getting the 380 on uuA would be even lower, I like the 747 F although as said above it isnt going to be around much longer
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wonder if the airline will drag out the 744 First seats until the end (Feb 2024+ ?) as they will be in an absolutely awful condition by then - any ideas ?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I have two flights in the Phoenix sequence booked into 1A on a 747, including the 10 hour return from PHX to LHR. Perfectly happy with that, there's plenty of time to sample the A380 etc, but the 747 is a classic. It depends on what you're looking for from the experience really, but there is something magical about being right at the front.
newyorklondon and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I still think 1A/K on 747 is the best in BA fleet.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I still think 1A/K on 747 is the best in BA fleet.
I agree - but only when occupying both seats! When it's a stranger opposite, definitely not
SoggyDollar likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
... it feels like you're in front of the flight deck (maybe you actually are!) ...
Yes, in some seats you are. I think that row 2 is one of them. I would add to the list of 747 idiosyncracies that there are some interesting overhead mechanical noises from the flight deck, particularly when the spoilers deploy on touchdown; and there are some wonderfully grunty noises when the landing gear is down, which also adds to the remarkable feel of the cabin when it has retracted.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I wonder if the airline will drag out the 744 First seats until the end (Feb 2024+ ?) as they will be in an absolutely awful condition by then - any ideas ?
Probably, but I don't care. I'll still be flying the 747 when I can until the last possible moment.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I agree - but only when occupying both seats! When it's a stranger opposite, definitely not
You mean other people travel on the same plane as you? That's where all those queuing must be heading then...
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.