Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any disadvantage booking BA flight via AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Any disadvantage booking BA flight via AA?

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip from TXL via LHR, MIA to LIM. Some of the flights are operated by BA and some by AA. I found the same routing bookable via BA and AA, but booking the flight via AA is considerably cheaper. Are there any disadvantages of booking the flight via AA instead of BA? It's important that I get the maximum tier points to reach my next status, and from what I read here this shouldn't be an issue even when booking via AA (with AA codes)? According to the Avios thread here there are some differences in how the Avios bonuses are calculated for different classes, but other than that (if I'm mainly interested in the tier points and saving money), is there any other reason I should consider booking with BA directly?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The TP for AA or BA coded flights are identical. As you have discovered, the Avios awarded for class of cabin bonus is sometimes lower for an AA coded flight but that is all. Just book the cheapest, would be my advice.

If you are travelling LHR-MIA then I would even recommend AA metal over BA since they use the 77W on that route which IMO is far better than the CW hard product, even on the 380.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:42 am

+1 for AA metal on the LHR-MIA leg although note that it is only the earlier flight that is 777-300 the later AA flight is a 200 with slightly worse seat so I would rate on a par with BA A380 with the BA 747 bringing up the rear. I also prefer T3 for the Cathay lounge and shorter travel time to Paddington
20Rothmans and babrln like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd also advocate AA on the 773 - much better seat and I'm really starting to warm to their service. Just got back from MIA myself this week.

Both BA and AA use T3 for MIA so you'll have to do the schlep whatever you decide.

Have a great trip!
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GCH
I believe one other limitation is that you cannot UuA an AA-plated (001-) ticket.
godsavethepoints, NNH and babrln like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My preference would always to take AA metal. Greta product and in my experience chirpy happy crew. The 77-300 is superb and even the 777-200 is better than CW.
You cant upgrade a AA ticket but unless there is award availability at time of booking then I would prefer to be guaranteed direct aisles access rather than fret about an upgrade to CW+
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You may not get tier points on some third party operated codeshare services if you book via AA. You would if they were BA codeshares bought via BA.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:05 am

If you book via AA, the pre-flight customer service for any schedule changes (likely if booked more than 3 months out) will be far more flexible than BA.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Former holder of many statuses, less so now
Where did the OP say they were looking at booking in J?

It wasn't mentioned, yet the replies quickly jumped to discussion about merits or lack thereof of CW vs. AA Biz.
godsavethepoints likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I've booked mixed BA/AA travel with both airlines, and with OTAs. All TPs have credited as expected, which is the OPs concern ... as it was mine!

I know Avios earning is sometimes less on AA, but that doesn't concern me greatly so I've never bothered to count them.

I do agree that AA's systems are generally more customer-friendly than BA's, whether involving minor rescheduling or more significant aspects such as a flight cancellation. OLCI is easier, and dynamic baggage tracking exists on the AA App. I'll leave the comparison there.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 30, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by MrDooog
Where did the OP say they were looking at booking in J?
I think that it is implied by OP since OP asks about how it may impact TP earning. I doubt that a TP run in Y would make much sense (particularly when looking at cheap tickets).

@babrln: You can feed the routing information into the BAEC calculator and see the difference in earning Avios/TP. I've booked for similar reasons AA flights on BA codeshare numbers. The ticket on AA flight numbers was twice as expensive.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:50 am

personally I would go with AA over BA everytime.
JacksonOBrian likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Sad isn't it that everyone here advises the OP to use AA rather than BA - and I have to say, as a BA Gold Card holder, I totally agree. AA 777-300 (in Business) is much better than Club World.

I wonder if anyone from BA ever reads these posts...or cares?
20Rothmans and babrln like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I wonder if anyone from BA ever reads these posts...or cares?
They don't care. Joint Venture = BA get their slab of money anyway.

BTW, we have been remiss in not welcoming babrin to the Forum! Hi there ... how are the answers suiting you so far? It seems to be clarifying your concerns.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
One thing to bear in mind -- if you're on AA metal on the return flight to the UK, EU261 won't apply if there's disruption.
babrln likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.