Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any disadvantage booking BA flight via AA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
What about functionality in managing the booking in MMB on BA v AA's own interface? Is there anything not available to a BAEC tier member on the AA site?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Whenderson

I wonder if anyone from BA ever reads these posts...or cares?
My own hunch, re main question : Very likely.

And ..... on your supplementary : Not remotely.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
What about functionality in managing the booking in MMB on BA v AA's own interface? Is there anything not available to a BAEC tier member on the AA site?
I've never noticed anything missing ... just better functionality, like being able to OLCI everything with one click, unlike BA's multiple processes

Pre-ordered meals, seat assignment, all work fine. I've never changed a booking, so can't comment on that.
NoTiersForMe likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by babrln
Hi there,

I'm planning a trip from TXL via LHR, MIA to LIM. Some of the flights are operated by BA and some by AA. I found the same routing bookable via BA and AA, but booking the flight via AA is considerably cheaper. Are there any disadvantages of booking the flight via AA instead of BA? It's important that I get the maximum tier points to reach my next status, and from what I read here this shouldn't be an issue even when booking via AA (with AA codes)? According to the Avios thread here there are some differences in how the Avios bonuses are calculated for different classes, but other than that (if I'm mainly interested in the tier points and saving money), is there any other reason I should consider booking with BA directly?

Thanks!
There is absolutely no difference whether you book with BA or AA in terms of TPs. Go with the cheaper ticket. However, a cheaper price may mean lower booking classes which will give lower TPs as well (if you are looking to fly in economy).
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Andriyko
There is absolutely no difference whether you book with BA or AA in terms of TPs. Go with the cheaper ticket. However, a cheaper price may mean lower booking classes which will give lower TPs as well (if you are looking to fly in economy).
Do people really do that?

But, yes, booking classes can be a minefield at all levels. Anyway, a TP Run in Y makes the OP a suitable case for counselling!
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Do you still get charged for BA seat allocation if you book through AA?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I had a similar question a while ago, may be of some use:

Better to book with BA or AA when travelling to and around US
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Sometimes if you have an AA sector then a BA sector you can’t check in online for the latter. AA will direct you to BA and BA will direct you to AA.

I’d definitely go with AA though for the flexibility in schedule change and AA website
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
As mentioned if in J/F then AA over BA regardless of 772 or 77W. Better lounges, seat, IFE and you get WiFi, warm nuts, live TV etc.

Whenever I've booked BA / AA mixes I've ended up with a record locator for each airline although it may only be accessible when attempting to select a seat (or via My flights app). The net result is you get full access to the AA and MMB in "native" form so you can select meals, seats and other services.

The only difference I am aware of is using upgrade instruments. e.g. SWUs can't be used on AA metal booked with a BA flight number.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:00 pm

It's worth noting that AA's YQ calculation logic is different to BA's, which can sometimes lead to cheaper overall fares even on the Joint Business routes. To achieve this you normally need to have the start and end of your ticket in different countries, but if booking ex-EU that's easily achieved.
babrln likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies (and for the warm welcome to the forum), this has been really helpful. Yes, I was indeed asking about business tickets and AA's fare for the exact same route was just 70% of BA's price. But based on your advice I found alternative flights on AA metal from LHR to MIA for (the original flight had this leg on BA metal) pretty much the same low price, so I booked this.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by internetplumber
One thing to bear in mind -- if you're on AA metal on the return flight to the UK, EU261 won't apply if there's disruption.
For me, this is a really important consideration. I’ve talked myself into BA over AA in the past on the EU duty of care aspect alone. (Something to do with reading the famous eightblack JFK snowstorm trip report no doubt (sorry, I don’t have the link to hand)).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
While understanding the BA over AA argument for EU261 on eastbound TATL I have on a couple of occasions benefitted from AA‘s more flexible approach to IRROPS which for me outweighs the compensation. I‘d rather get there earlier of better than fighting for then receiving compensation for being told to wait another day.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Petroleum, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by T8191
I've booked mixed BA/AA travel with both airlines, and with OTAs. All TPs have credited as expected, which is the OPs concern ... as it was mine!

I know Avios earning is sometimes less on AA, but that doesn't concern me greatly so I've never bothered to count them.

I do agree that AA's systems are generally more customer-friendly than BA's, whether involving minor rescheduling or more significant aspects such as a flight cancellation. OLCI is easier, and dynamic baggage tracking exists on the AA App. I'll leave the comparison there.
I completely agree with this. A small internal AA flight change resulting in arriving in to JFK 25 minutes earlier. I called up a couple of months in advance and they agreed to put me on to an earlier JFK-LHR flight and also an earlier LHR-ABZ flight the next morning. Never had that with BA.

Also, great for me when flying out last October when Hurricane Matthew resulted in flights being cancelled and their willingness to re-route.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by goodison
As mentioned if in J/F then AA over BA regardless of 772 or 77W. Better lounges, seat, IFE and you get WiFi, warm nuts, live TV etc.

Is it not the case that you can use any Oneworld lounge, so that's not a real thing, the AA lounges I've been in are not great. BA Miami flights leave T3 (I believe) so the sensible will be in the Cathay lounge anyway. Lounges are not relevant to the AA/BA question.

Better seat is subjective, it's a different seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.