Improvements to F / CCR

Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
First time in CCR since refit. I thought the furniture was an improvement in terms of seating space, even if a little crowded in place. As other have said, the loungers on the terrace are a waste of space. Too many of them and pretty impractical for many uses. The curtained areas on the terrace are a good idea in trying to break the space up, but I don’t think work well. I’d have gone for small spaces.

Dining at 5pm wasn’t a problem and food good. Initial service was poor in terms of a welcome sand seating, but the person then serving was great- efficient and friendly without being overbearing.

All in all a good experience that ranked higher than previous visits.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:26 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If one is permitted to go back on topic, here is a photo of some of the new furniture. They have replaced the section between the east end of the bar and the glass windows partitioning off the terrace. About two dozen items in all, I think. I would take more photos but it's a bit of an effort shifting people out of their seats so I can take a snap. This is probably the smartest of the new items, I can see this turning into a go-to corner of CCR.

Were these supplied by HSL, the sponsors of late night television on ITV3? I've told my wife that if I order anything from them to shoot me as I would plainly be too decrepit to live a normal life.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think the new furniture in CCR is fine. Clearly not cutting edge in design terms, but comfortable and acceptable to look at. Quite like the new cabana concept on terrace - offers a little bit of privacy.

I'm sure a major rethink/upgrade to lounges is required on a three year view, but as a stop-gap, this is fine.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I wish they could get tables that are a better height.
If you're trying to eat or use a laptop etc., you're always having to stoop forward to get to things.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by xenole
I wish they could get tables that are a better height.
If you're trying to eat or use a laptop etc., you're always having to stoop forward to get to things.
Isn't that what parts like the dining area, the high benches and the Boardroom are for?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't that what parts like the dining area, the high benches and the Boardroom are for?
Perhaps, but it's not always possible to get one of these places or you could be picky about having strangers in the room with you when conducting business matters.
Can't see myself working on my laptop at one of the benches, especially without power. Very obtrusive for a start.
The lounge menu, to me, is to be enjoyed outside of the usual dining places. Nice sitting in a soft chair / sofa, but not so nice trying to reach something on a table.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Fwiw, my wife got her first experiences this week in the CCR and the CX F T3 lounge as part of our trip. I didn't really tell her much about either lounge in advance. If there's interest I'll write up some of her thoughts in a mini-TR when we get back.

As an aside, the CCR dining seems to have upped their game a bit. Nice presentation of the mezze, bread offered with the meal, and the furniture looks much better than the photos show, in large part because of the lighting. For example, the infamous sofa photo from CWS really distorts the colours. We enjoyed the loungers on the terrace... a nice setup for a couple. And blankets were offered. I think the repurposing of the terrace with the loungers somewhat makes up for there only being 3 proper cabanas inside.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I haven’t been in yet but I would just add that from the stripey/aztec sofa I have seen in pictures it seems like maybe the designers were trying to achieve a watered-down version of the look found in the Firmdale Hotels directed by Kit Kemp (Ham Yard, Haymarket, Soho hotels in London; Crosby St and Whitby hotels in NYC), while still retaining the typical furniture style of rococo armchairs etc favoured in the CCR - not the happiest of combinations perhaps, but I will reserve judgement until I see it in person!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Was in earlier today before our flight to JFK. Did not notice that much difference as we headed straight to the dining section for breakfast. Usual issues with breakfast, my other half’s eggs Benedict was cold. My full English was mostly warmish other than the poached eggs which were tepid. Orange juice is mediocre and is not FSOJ. Extra coffee order by my other half was never delivered - all normal for the CCR.
We were not the only ones suffering problems with food orders - gentleman in the booth opposite us complained about his boiled eggs being cold and ordered another dish.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Was in earlier today before our flight to JFK. Did not notice that much difference as we headed straight to the dining section for breakfast. Usual issues with breakfast, my other half’s eggs Benedict was cold. My full English was mostly warmish other than the poached eggs which were tepid. Orange juice is mediocre and is not FSOJ. Extra coffee order by my other half was never delivered - all normal for the CCR.
We were not the only ones suffering problems with food orders - gentleman in the booth opposite us complained about his boiled eggs being cold and ordered another dish.
The place goes to pot when they're busy, I find.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This morning (21-Nov) I understand there was a shortage of staff in the CCR which meant that breakfast service was not up to the usual standard. Doc Copper
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
This morning (21-Nov) I understand there was a shortage of staff in the CCR which meant that breakfast service was not up to the usual standard. Doc Copper
our breakfast orders were forgotten last Saturday morning. Silverware came. 40 minutes later I raised a query and it was clear that the ball had been dropped
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
Wow - it sounds like I'm reading about a third-rate truck stop café, just off the M6.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:21 pm

Shortage of staff or not - the service and food quality/ temperature was normal for the CCR. No doubt we will have one of the CCR live in regulars on here shortly to say it is all untrue and they have had 100% great service and food in the CCR.
Just by way of contrast we both decided not to eat on the flight to JFK as the F menu was pretty uninspiring( as was the flight) So we chose to have a late dinner in the Flagship Lounge before our transcontinental F flight to LAX. Food quality was very good and service in a different league to the CCR. The decor will probably not appeal to those who like the old people’s retirement home look of the CCR but i guess BA know their customer base well.
Dave_C, DYKWIA, NoY and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by scillyisles
Shortage of staff or not - the service and food quality/ temperature was normal for the CCR. No doubt we will have one of the CCR live in regulars on here shortly to say it is all untrue and they have had 100% great service and food in the CCR..
CCR live in regular here Alas service in the CCR/LHR/T5 really is hit and miss (more miss than hit, in my copious experience: for context only, I've had a CCR card since before the concept existed officially). CCR/JFK is still very good in my experience (by BA standards, and perhaps close to real F lounge standards at premium *A airlines). Service-wise, the old jewel in the crown was CCR/LHR/T4. Those were the days... Some of the T4 CCR staff transitioned over to T5, but over time they've all (?) left, to be replaced by well-meaning but poorly trained staff who charming as they may be, have little business working in a premium lounge. The Peninsular (who crew CX lounges at HKG) it ain't.
Dave_C and rossmacd like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.