Improvements to F / CCR

Old Oct 31, 17, 9:56 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by binman View Post
No axe to grind, no agenda simply my very humble opinion from actually flying on BA and other airlines over 30 years. BA was, once, a very good airline but they have declined to being a rather poor mid level second division carrier.

There will always be airlines with worse crew but there are now few with poorer hard products. Their short haul service is risible. Club world is 8 a cross and First, well a shadow of its former self.

As for cocktails, the last time I asked for a vodka martini was on a SFO LHR in F. I returned to my seat to find a glass a bottle of vodka and a bottle of vermouth. the crew had no idea how to make it!
Apologies if you are just referring to ET but I like CE if you can include a Saturday away.
Rubecula is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:26 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Berlin
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by binman View Post
There will always be airlines with worse crew but there are now few with poorer hard products. Their short haul service is risible. Club world is 8 a cross and First, well a shadow of its former self.
It could be argued - persuasively - that Club World is, in fact, 1-2-1, and that it only appears to be 8-across because of the way in which BA chooses to display it on the seat map. There's not, in practice, a significant difference in space or comfort between BA's product and that of many airlines who advertise a 4-across layout. I certainly prefer Club World to AA's transatlantic 2+2 layout I recently experienced.
Misco60 is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:49 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,280
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
It could be argued - persuasively - that Club World is, in fact, 1-2-1, and that it only appears to be 8-across because of the way in which BA chooses to display it on the seat map. There's not, in practice, a significant difference in space or comfort between BA's product and that of many airlines who advertise a 4-across layout. I certainly prefer Club World to AA's transatlantic 2+2 layout I recently experienced.
Club World offers 1-2-1 (just like, say, J with CX or some QR configs...)

I reckon even if they hired Rumpole of the Bailey, BA might have trouble convincing a jury on that one.
subject2load is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:28 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: LF BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Posts: 2,216
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
It could be argued - persuasively - that Club World is, in fact, 1-2-1, and that it only appears to be 8-across because of the way in which BA chooses to display it on the seat map. There's not, in practice, a significant difference in space or comfort between BA's product and that of many airlines who advertise a 4-across layout. I certainly prefer Club World to AA's transatlantic 2+2 layout I recently experienced.
1-2-1....that is being creative
Thunderroad and rossmacd like this.
stevie is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:35 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gibraltar/UK
Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Posts: 1,245
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
1-2-1....that is being creative
Indeed it is....plainly ridiculous 🙄
nivsy is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:09 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Posts: 375
I think it's already happening - I was given 'the beef from CW' when I flew to KUL in F last month...
nwmgc is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:50 pm
  #37  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,759
Originally Posted by nwmgc View Post
I think it's already happening - I was given 'the beef from CW' when I flew to KUL in F last month...
Why were you given a Club World dish?
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 4:30 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Why were you given a Club World dish?
Same here. On my last 4 flights in F, twice I have not received my first choice, despite (usually) sitting in row 1, and being GGL. Not sure this priority of choice works, or may not always be implemented. In both cases, I was offered beef dish from CW. One I accepted, and once I went for pasta instead. On my last F flight from NRT, they had only loaded 3 Wagyu beef dishes for a cabin of 8!?!?!
LondonCanuck is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 4:33 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glos
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 6,122
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
1-2-1....that is being creative
Itís 1-2-1....within a 2... and another 2

Or 8 across as itís more commonly known as
Thunderroad and Randeep like this.
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:28 pm
  #40  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 12,759
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
Same here. On my last 4 flights in F, twice I have not received my first choice, despite (usually) sitting in row 1, and being GGL. Not sure this priority of choice works, or may not always be implemented. In both cases, I was offered beef dish from CW. One I accepted, and once I went for pasta instead. On my last F flight from NRT, they had only loaded 3 Wagyu beef dishes for a cabin of 8!?!?!
That's very strange. It's never happened to me, in First I've always got my first choice as have my companions. Did you not think of pre-ordering for your ex-LHR sectors? Did the crew take your order shortly after take-off or did you wait until later in the flight to make your selection?
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Oct 31, 17, 11:14 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK London / Salisbury
Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
That's very strange. It's never happened to me, in First I've always got my first choice as have my companions. Did you not think of pre-ordering for your ex-LHR sectors? Did the crew take your order shortly after take-off or did you wait until later in the flight to make your selection?
albeit it was a couple of years ago but I did Sydney and back in F. Didnít get my first choice on any of the first three sectors and made a comment to that effect on the SYD-SIN leg.

On the final leg to LHR the purser came over and said ĎI understand you have not been lucky with your meal choices so I am taking your order first tonightí. Some while later he returned with an abjectly apologetic look and said ĎIím so sorry Mr X. They didnít load any of the dish you selected from the menu this evening...í

I canít call that a statistically significant sample... but it happens
brentford77 is offline  
Old Nov 1, 17, 1:55 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
That's very strange. It's never happened to me, in First I've always got my first choice as have my companions. Did you not think of pre-ordering for your ex-LHR sectors? Did the crew take your order shortly after take-off or did you wait until later in the flight to make your selection?
Neither of the incidents were ex-LHR, but as a matter of principle, I donít pre-order usually. Sometimes, I can change my mind, and had several discussions with CC, who mentioned that it is the pre-ordering that causes BA to lessen meal loads (makes sense). I thought that, as GGL, orders would be prioritised, but as @brentford77 says, maybe that has changed. Being in row 1 doesnít seem to help either even if ordering right after take off (one CC doing other side faster). But 3 beef dishes for a flight of 8, and rest pasta dishes, that is taking cost cutting a bit far?
LondonCanuck is offline  
Old Nov 1, 17, 3:05 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Posts: 4,545
Originally Posted by Vorno123 View Post
Thanks for welcome Peter!

Just had this email from BA:
"The improvements to our Club World cabins are still in progress after which we will be improving the First Class cabin, however this is quite a lengthily process so we are unable provide you with a guarantee at this stage."

(this was in response to a question I had for a booking in F in March 2018 and whether recent CW improvements will be replicated by then - as I normally book CW)
You do know that the CW improvements are still being 'rolled out' so depending on your route then it may not benefit from new CW catering for instance - even in March 2018. There is a new hard product coming but, again, it's happening quite slowly.

The CW product overall looks like it is taking a step up, but I still think F will be better. As others have said, it'd be weird to use the same cutlery etc in F.
IAMORGAN is offline  
Old Nov 1, 17, 3:08 am
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,582
The cutlery is not the same in CW and First.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Nov 1, 17, 4:46 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
Same here. On my last 4 flights in F, twice I have not received my first choice, despite (usually) sitting in row 1, and being GGL. Not sure this priority of choice works, or may not always be implemented. In both cases, I was offered beef dish from CW. One I accepted, and once I went for pasta instead. On my last F flight from NRT, they had only loaded 3 Wagyu beef dishes for a cabin of 8!?!?!
Did better than me - my time on this route they had only loaded two!
pleb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: