Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to F / CCR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just in case anyone new to this forum gets the wrong impression, your quote above is somewhat undermined by the fact that the views I've expressed here are my own, purely as a BA customer, for which I take full personal responsibility, and are certainly not directed, let alone paid for, by the press office or any other BA/IAG organisation. It would be good to think you could accord my views with the same respect that I accord yours: you certainly make some good points elsewhere, not least since they overlap the views expressed in my post 320 above. However I rather suspect the fair minded aspect probably got lost in there somewhere.
Am pretty sure that your views are not commercially driven but, although tongue in cheek, it is hard to understand how you can claim "world leading" and "top of the list" if it's not due to some sort of over-familiarity.
ba_cityflyer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:49 am

Comedy gold this thread so far
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
To be fair to both points of view, there are two different ways to "judge" a lounge: the wow factor for a first time visitor, and the service element which is potentially different for a frequent visitor where it feels like home.

CCR's strength seems to be the service element rather than wow factor; and that service element is felt strongest by regular visitors who are recognised by the staff.

It's not unfair bias - both points of view are equally valid and depend on the nature of your experience. It's natural for someone to have a positive opinion of a place where they feel comfortable and recognised.

Does the CCR have "wow factor" for less frequent visitors? Doesn't sound like it. I had a couple years of CCR card membership and never felt that it was home. Conversely, the CX lounges definitely have "wow factor" - I haven't visited them often enough to know if regulars feel like part of the (nice but uncontroversial) furniture.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by SFO777
Indeed, neither are that exciting and rank near the bottom of my Top 20 First Class rankings. I would have gone with BA's 789 but discounted F was sold out. So my options were the AA 77W (with Wifi) or BA's old 744. Easy choice IMO.
Certainly closer, would prob still choose BA for the food/ crew though and CCR on the way back.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I quite like the CCR changes which seem to amount to reupholstering furniture and creating a more Morrocan theme to the terrace which was always a pretty poor space I always thought.

What is downright poor is the lack of additional power sockets being installed on the terrace (just why would you not do this?). A frankly terrible menu in November and further dumbing down of the wine selection which beyond the LPGS might have credibly been sourced from Lidl.

The bathrooms are still laughably poor both in design and sometimes cleanliness, the 1970s style brown dragon upholstery and carpet tiles in many areas is a bold retro choice.

I paid a visit to the new Plaza Premium lounge by A7 yesterday and was rather impressed by the superior decor and aspect as well as well thought through private workspaces (something entirely absent in the CCR).

The idea that the CCR is in tne top 6 lounges in the world is risible, it probably just about makes it into the top 6 lounges at LHR but that is far from clear cut. I would certainly put the UA, QR, EY, CX and VS lounges well ahead and some of those are J only.
bullroot likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Ned1968
To be fair to both points of view, there are two different ways to "judge" a lounge: the wow factor for a first time visitor, and the service element which is potentially different for a frequent visitor where it feels like home.

CCR's strength seems to be the service element rather than wow factor; and that service element is felt strongest by regular visitors who are recognised by the staff.

It's not unfair bias - both points of view are equally valid and depend on the nature of your experience. It's natural for someone to have a positive opinion of a place where they feel comfortable and recognised.

Does the CCR have "wow factor" for less frequent visitors? Doesn't sound like it. I had a couple years of CCR card membership and never felt that it was home. Conversely, the CX lounges definitely have "wow factor" - I haven't visited them often enough to know if regulars feel like part of the (nice but uncontroversial) furniture.
So if you're a CCR regular, you will be fine? World leading indeed
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
What complete and utter tosh. It’s not even close to being the best lounge at Heathrow, let alone one of the best lounges in the world. I’ve heard BA News being likened to Pravda before, however I think we have a new winner for Newspeak in this post.

A world class lounge needs to have the following attributes:
  • Ground services i.e. staff assistance
  • Food
  • Drinks / wines / spirits
  • Privacy
  • Shower / bathing / hydrotherapy
  • Spa services

If you were to objectively rate the Concorde Room’s services out of ten versus many many other lounges globally, I am willing to bet it would be in the bottom quartile of first class lounges.

The First Class Terminal, the AF P Lounge, The Pier, The ZRH F Lounge to name but four all objectively would score far more highly on any “fair minded analysis”.

So less of the press office spin, more facts, and no #fakenews .
As ever these things are personal. You forgot space (as in feeling as opposed to sq footage) and ambience from your list, something I rate fare more highly than most other things on your list.

I much prefer the CCR to the LX F lounge due to the above.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ned1968
The service was generally poor to middling whenever I used it (maybe 10 times in total). So, the point you make about regulars getting the better service rings true. It shouldn't be like that - everyone should get good service, all of the time, in the flagship lounge.

My experiences at other lounges (LH FCT, EK F, CX Wing/Pier, QR Al Safwa) have always been a lot better service wise than the CCR.

One of the best experiences was the VS J lounge at BOS. From the moment we entered, we had great personal service (glasses never empty, offers of cocktails etc.). And the food was way better than the CCR. I've not done any other VS lounges - but I'd certainly like to try out the LHR Clubhouse.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Certainly closer, would prob still choose BA for the food/ crew though and CCR on the way back.
Why am I not surprised?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
it is! it's the same as my car is better than your car argument

It's a bloody lounge for god sake
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Why am I not surprised?
...because deep down you know it to be true?!

Its interesting your wife is willing to slum it to go direct, given all the QR vs BA threads on here more evidence that us FTers are indeed a breed apart
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
...because deep down you know it to be true?!

Its interesting your wife is willing to slum it to go direct, given all the QR vs BA threads on here more evidence that us FTers are indeed a breed apart
But still avoiding BA
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s perfectly fine to disagree with cws, but to insinuate he’s somehow professionally affiliated with ba or that his appreciation of ba is due to some sort of ‘bribe’ is silly and laughable as well as offensive.
HIDDY, hsmall, NWIFlyer and 1 others like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 11, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:07 am

What I would strongly urge is that people suspend their views on this until they have actually seen it all for themselves.
Hmm this sort of implies do not comment until you have actually experienced it which in this case is the new refreshed CCR.
This seems to go against what I thought was one of the unwritten rules of FT in that everyone's views are welcome irrespective of whether they have experience of a particular service or feature etc.

I guess I had better not say anything more about the refurbishment until our next visit in just over a weeks time.

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Having read the whole thread, I can wholeheartedly concur with this viewpoint.

I personally would not rate the CCR as in the top 10 airline lounges worldwide although I can understand how regulars can have their views distorted by the superior service which results from being a regular. Since becoming a more frequent user of the CCR, certain staff in the dining area recognise us and the service level received is night and day compared to when we visited infrequently. Even so, the service offered is comparable to the service we get in other top lounges that we visit less often and we still get cold food on occasions (particularly at breakfast time) missing food and drink orders and all the other service irregularities that the CCR is famous for.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
F

Being one of the few participants in this thread who has actually been to the CCR since the update (three times now) I have to disagree with you, the CCR is a world leading lounge, no question in my mind about that. I'm certainly willing to accept that other lounges may be better, in some people's opinion, but it's going to be right up towards the top of the list in any fair minded analysis. Others who have visited CCR have given opinions ranging from "it's fine" to "it's great", to paraphrase, but again I think a fair assessment. I don't think we have had anyone who has been inside the CCR in the last few days and said "yuck" to the refresh, unless I've missed something.

Doesn't that tell you something?

Use of the CCR is not mandatory, by all means route yourself via CDG if you are that unhappy about it, but I'm quite sure that of all the lounges featured in Flyertalk, the CCR will remain the most sought after lounge for visits, at least on FT. The numbers speak for themselves (the CCR menu rotation has more hits than the other lounges put together) and I'm equally sure that most First users will want to enjoy the updated CCR.
with all due respect: maybe best to just speak for yourself rather than to presume to speak for all of us on FT?
ba_cityflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.