Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics ban from Maldives (MLE) on BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Electronics ban from Maldives (MLE) on BA

BA has added MLE into the airports where it bans larger electronics in hand baggage (note this includes all external hard drives no matter what the size.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5709

Odd as the FAA are at the same time considering banning electronics (or rather their Li batteries) from the hold.

Only affects flights from MLE to the UK, outbound to MLE is not affected.

No idea why terrorists with a bomb invisible to x-ray machine won't just fly to any number of other airports in the region and catch a BA flight there.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Unfortunately, quite a big share of IS terrrorists in Syria and Iraq are coming from the Maldives. It's quite reasonable to jack up security at MLE.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Oh absolutely. I would just question the wisdom of filling the hold with Lithium batteries to improve safety...

I also hope that they are right and terrorists are morons (which I concede there appears quite a lot f evidence for this theory) and don't book flights to a non-electronics ban airport or put them bomb into something other than a laptop or Kindle e-reader.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
The threat is dynamic and we are constantly having to balance necessary countermeasures against inconvenience and (yes) cost...

Security professionals would argue that, in terms of deaths caused, fully-scanned hold baggage with a 1-in-X chance of catastrophic fire beats quickly scanned carry ons with an n-in-X chance of enemy action.

This sits well with the pols too as deaths from accidents have better optics than those from terror attacks ...

So kit is banned in the cabin and we all roll the dice !
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:32 am

That's a long flight on the old 777 without an ipad or kindle reader!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Indeed....me in a weeks time
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:00 am

Oh dear! Back to reading books the old fashioned way!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:00 am

This is a very smart move. I have observed a severe weak security spot in the Maldives. Does anyone know the appropriate Government entity to contact for USA citizens?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Try a book!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Try a book!
Yes, that is now the plan
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:48 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
To be fair, the last time I flew out of the Maldives (a few years ago) the airport was one of the most chaotic and disorganised I'd experienced. The BA departure was assigned to the same gate area (and security) as I think 3 other long-haul departures within about 15 minutes of each other. So over 1,000 passengers all trying to get through at the same time!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Came back from there a few days ago (not on BA). Passport and ticket check before getting into the check-in area. Bag scans before check-in. Further bag scans after immigration. The airport is small by most standards and not a particularly pleasant place. Seems to be in the middle of a construction zone associated with the building of the causeway/bridge that will link the airport to Male by road. Possible airport expansion under way?

BTW the lounge is 'dry'.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Virgin, Qantas, Shangri La Hotels, Hilton Hotels
With the Maldives being a majority Muslim nation, it doesn't surprise me that there could be terrorist related activities or activists emanating from there.

No surprises that the bar was 'dry' and the government didn't encourage the locals to flirt with the paying passengers, so to speak.

There has also been travel horror stories about being robbed after dark in the Maldives by angry local gangs, some of whom arrive by boat in the night to rob holiday-makers in moored yachts, thus stranded from any immediate help.

Unfortunately, many of these issues seem far more political than religious, and there are risks involved at all times for international visitors.

A number of airlines (including Air America, China Airlines, Civil Air Transport and Southern Air Transport) were, over the years, shown to be 'assets' of secret services agencies, as Victor L. Marchetti Jr. divulged in his books and his years with the US government, all adding to the risks to an unassuming public.

Last edited by Duograph B15507; Oct 29, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by Worcester
BA has added MLE into the airports where it bans larger electronics in hand baggage (note this includes all external hard drives no matter what the size.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5709

Odd as the FAA are at the same time considering banning electronics (or rather their Li batteries) from the hold.
So how would one fly BA MLE-LHR-JFK? On the first segment electronics have to be in the hold, but on the second segment that have to be in the cabin... except you never get to see your bags in London.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:44 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
So how would one fly BA MLE-LHR-JFK? On the first segment electronics have to be in the hold, but on the second segment that have to be in the cabin... except you never get to see your bags in London.
Since the MLE flights are LGW based if you had any connection via LHR you would have to retrieve your bags at LGW and re-check at LHR. So no issue there.

If you were connecting to another flight at LGW, then there will be some logistical challenges for airlines to deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.