Babies in First Lounges

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by brightstar100
My daughter is five and has flown 600,000 miles on BA, with vast majority of long haul flights in F. She is one third of the way to Lifetime Gold (which you accrue from when you start paying child fare at two).

We have never had a problem with BA staff, especially in F and the CCR. Quite the opposite, sometimes the treatment has nearly been too much - Captain coming out of cockpit to visit her on several flights, F check-in staff at T5 asking her behind desk to assist with check-in, etc. They are so welcoming.

Now other passengers in F, that is another story. Although the complainers and glarers are still rare - LHR - JFK route is where we have had most problems.
Originally Posted by binman
BA and families with young kids and babies is a bit like oil and water, they dont mix.

In in my experience BA are not family friendly and the sight of my kids in premium cabins over the years and in the Concorde room had caused a variety of responses. From the downright hostile to the much rarer welcome. In 15 years of flying with my kids I have never felt comfortable and only Cathay and Qantas dealt with kids superbly. I flew F SIN to HKG on CX and forgot I had small children! Qantas were also exceptional but BA have been mediocre at best.

it my view it stems from their rather outdated internal policy of banning all kids of staff from F till they are 12. This includes the CEO and chairman. Its a Dickensian approach but I have no doubt it influences heavily the thinking of staff at all levels.

for me its public transport and if you pay to be in a premium cabin, have status, or are following the rules then babes in arms and kids of all ages are welcome.
I so rarely have anything positive to say about BA on FT but I just wanted to weigh in here to state that our impression after 180K miles with our coming up on 3YO is that BA are absolutely excellent with infants and under 2YO with what may be the most family-friendly and accomodating polices, practices on-board and in our experience in culture.
  • The F lounges in both T5 and T3 have dedicated kids areas which must surely end the discussion about whether they are 'supposed' to be there.
  • The Britax seats for kids above bassinet age but under two are (I think) unique to BA and a significant differentiator versus other airlines when travelling with toddlers (as is the fact that it can be used in 64A)
  • In our experience the lack of Aisle access in CW is a significant advantage when travelling with a 2YO (although that is possibly the only good thing about CW)
  • BA's policy of providing a free seat for infants turning two during the journey for the remainder of the ticket is about the most family-friendly out there
  • the recent 'maternity/paternity' benefit is another step in the right direction
  • Onboard service, friendliness and general attitude toward us and our child from staff has been universally positive on BA Long Haul.
I did mention that there are very few good things about BA and when flying alone I generally choose AA or QR (or even EI) where I have the choice, but when travelling with the family we will usually choose to fly BA.... this may change as the young one gets older as my impression is that BA are excellent towards infants, not so great towards older kids.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Having just spent the evening in the JFK GF lounge next to a family with young kids, I have to say they were perfect. Completely quiet and under control. Especially next to the late teens kinds next to them complaining loudly that the Oreos were too warm (a little DYKWIA)!!!

I think that it's unfair for staff to assume that kids will be a disruption and therefore should always give the benefit of the doubt. You can always turf someone out if anything goes badly wrong.
I have to say a lot of children behave better than older people (inc. older children and adults), and they don't tend to get drunk and disorderly either.

All that is needed is a set of behavioural standards that are applied universally - e.g. "disturb others' peace excessively and you're out", and that solves many of the issues, including Facetiming without headphones
Dambus and orbitmic like this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
You can always turf someone out if anything goes badly wrong.
Can you?? I dont mind babies in lounge. As LTNPhobia, there are many categories more likely to be annoying to others, and unlike babies they can know better. That said, I dont think those who are talking against babies in lounges are not assuming babies will be ill behaved, just that their behaviour is not something controllable or negotiable unlike adults or even children. When a baby cries you can try to help but if the poor kid is ill for instance it would be unreasonable to expect them to stop.

so while I am fine with babies in lounges, I think that this has to come with the knowledge that they might end up crying and I for one would be very shocked if a parent was asked to leave the lounge where they have been admitted because their baby was crying especially if they are trying what they can to calm him/her down. Id find such a reaction crass and unfair.

on the other hand, as LTNPhobia says, Id love for such rules to be in place and enacted for people who unlike babies should know their behaviour can disrupt the comfort and peace of others.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: LH HON
Are infants considered as a guest when it comes to lounge access, or only above the age of two?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ckx2
Are infants considered as a guest when it comes to lounge access, or only above the age of two?
They aren't counted as guests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.