Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on LA Ontario Airport (ONT)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Thoughts on LA Ontario Airport (ONT)

I'm currently considering taking a job with an American company based in Ontario California. If I am successful I would continue to work out of the UK but regular visits to head office would be required. The office is practically across the road from LA Ontario (ONT) airport.

Checking with BA (and AA) it seems LHR-ONT is possible with a connection in DFW. This seems a little more preferable than flying to LAX then driving out east.

I'm keen to hear if anyone has any experiences of ONT and any opinions of the choice between LHR-DFW-ONT v LHR-LAX then drive east.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I’ve got a friend in LA who commutes all over and he’s a big fan of SNA. He much prefers the smaller airports with a connection if it means avoiding the schlep through LAX both in terms of getting there from his house and the hassle of getting through the airport itself. Not strictly speaking ONT, but if you’ve got the opportunity to avoid LA traffic, I’d do it.
vibrex likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

Very subjective issue but the drive between LAX and ONT is between 1.5 and 2.5 hours depending on time of day. In theory you could make it in a bit over an hour but not at the times that BA or AA flights land at LAX from LHR.

I would find it miserable to have to make that drive regularly after completing an 11 hour flight; maybe not as bad if you're heading to LAX to catch a Oneworld departure to LHR given those departure times. And it would be an expensive Uber trip.

On the other side of the ledger, the lounge options at LAX may be superior to those at DFW, depending on your access. The Qantas First lounge at Bradley is quite nice but not worth driving 2 hours for, IMO.

And your seat choices between ONT and DFW are going to be standard domestic seating, again depending on whether you'd be traveling in coach or business/first.

ONT is a much smaller airport, so the TSA experience is more streamlined than normally the case at LAX. But your irregular ops choices are going to be far fewer connecting through DFW, at least for the ONT-DFW legs.

If you're collecting tier points, you'll earn more each trip by taking the connecting flights, so you'll earn or keep your status faster.

On balance I think I'd gravitate toward flying in and out of ONT; maybe with a trip through LAX once in a while just for a difference. Every day when I get on the freeway I am reminded how many things (accidents, construction, etc.) can conspire to transform a normal drive into something completely different.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA also flies PHX-ONT.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
You could also go LHR-PHX on BA and connect to ONT on AA

Looks like GUV1976 beat me to it!

Last edited by Reetmafreen; Oct 26, 2017 at 7:14 pm Reason: Too slow on the K/B!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I fly PHX-ONT fairly regularly. ONT is a relatively modern airport (15-20 years ago it had no actual gates or jet bridges). The airport itself is pretty sad with regards to amenities, but far better than LA traffic. I would choose to connect via PHX over DFW if it was me.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Will you be driving yourself from LAX to ONT or riding (uber/lyft or shuttle)?

It's about a five minute walk from AA's gates at ONT to the curb which, considering your destination, is a good reason for considering alternatives to LAX. American currently has about four flights/day DFW-ONT. Depending upon how you can time your layover in DFW, this may be a more than reasonable option instead of driving from LAX to ONT. If I was riding (not driving) and it isn't rush hour, I might go for the LAX flight if the DFW route would add more than an hour (or two) over my projected travel time using the direct flight to LAX plus transfer to ONT.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Avoid LAX. In case you did not see it, Avoid LAX. Forget driving to LAX at any time, traffic is horrible. I love ONT airport, small and human.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Various
ONT is a decent airport, and there are the options of OW Alliance connections via DFW and PHX year round(as mentioned) as well as Summer Seasonal service via ORD on American Airlines. There is also OW “Partner” Alaska Airlines, serving ONT, if you connect through SEA or PHX. You won’t be stuck with only one choice,but ....

ONT is on an upswing, after being in a lull for many years. Two airlines are staring service shortly...Frontier Airlines to Denver, and Finally a true international NS flight to TPE with Air China with B777-300 equipment.

On on the downside, there are no lounges in any ONT terminal, and food/services are minimal airport-
wide.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by vibrex
I'm currently considering taking a job with an American company based in Ontario California. If I am successful I would continue to work out of the UK but regular visits to head office would be required. The office is practically across the road from LA Ontario (ONT) airport.

Checking with BA (and AA) it seems LHR-ONT is possible with a connection in DFW. This seems a little more preferable than flying to LAX then driving out east.

I'm keen to hear if anyone has any experiences of ONT and any opinions of the choice between LHR-DFW-ONT v LHR-LAX then drive east.
I used to live in Riverside (UCR) and then Corona, 1971-1994. I flew in and out of Ontario all the time and LOVED IT. (I used to hate driving to LAX, but sometimes it was necessary.) The airport is small and compact. You won't find luxury lounges but if your job is essentially across the street, who cares. You can stay in the office until just before you need to get to the airport, then get some office buddy to drop you off.

I moved to Los Angeles County in 1994 and thus pretty much have to fly in and out of LAX, as it's more than double the drive to Ontario. Just last July I got a great last-minute ticket out of Ontario, when nothing was available from LAX, and revisited my former home airport.

Again, I LOVED IT. Compact and easy traffic in and out.

My strong suggestion to you would be to fly LHR to DFW, then get one of the many domestic flights to ONT. Avoid driving in traffic. Avoid the 405 and the 10. I live here. I know. Trust me.
TWA884 and vibrex like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have found it a lot easier to get a rental car at ONT than LAX. It is a centralized facility with a shuttle (you could walk there pretty easily), but you get your car and can be on your way pretty quickly. Similarly, drop off of rental cars and getting back to the airport was really easy as well. Close gas stations to refill. Easy access to I-10.

You didn't say if you would be renting a car on your frequent trips, but that is a big time/hassle saver of ONT vs LAX in my eyes.
vibrex likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
Very subjective issue but the drive between LAX and ONT is between 1.5 and 2.5 hours depending on time of day. In theory you could make it in a bit over an hour but not at the times that BA or AA flights land at LAX from LHR.

I would find it miserable to have to make that drive regularly after completing an 11 hour flight; maybe not as bad if you're heading to LAX to catch a Oneworld departure to LHR given those departure times. And it would be an expensive Uber trip.

On the other side of the ledger, the lounge options at LAX may be superior to those at DFW, depending on your access. The Qantas First lounge at Bradley is quite nice but not worth driving 2 hours for, IMO.

And your seat choices between ONT and DFW are going to be standard domestic seating, again depending on whether you'd be traveling in coach or business/first.

ONT is a much smaller airport, so the TSA experience is more streamlined than normally the case at LAX. But your irregular ops choices are going to be far fewer connecting through DFW, at least for the ONT-DFW legs.

If you're collecting tier points, you'll earn more each trip by taking the connecting flights, so you'll earn or keep your status faster.

On balance I think I'd gravitate toward flying in and out of ONT; maybe with a trip through LAX once in a while just for a difference. Every day when I get on the freeway I am reminded how many things (accidents, construction, etc.) can conspire to transform a normal drive into something completely different.
Thanks, very useful. I used to go annually through LAX (last time 16 years ago) and drive to Monrovia which is probably half the distance. Driving was hit and miss then and probably worse now! Never been a huge fan of LAX. I'm not too worried about lounge access I'll be ok at DFW.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Will you be driving yourself from LAX to ONT or riding (uber/lyft or shuttle)?

It's about a five minute walk from AA's gates at ONT to the curb which, considering your destination, is a good reason for considering alternatives to LAX. American currently has about four flights/day DFW-ONT. Depending upon how you can time your layover in DFW, this may be a more than reasonable option instead of driving from LAX to ONT. If I was riding (not driving) and it isn't rush hour, I might go for the LAX flight if the DFW route would add more than an hour (or two) over my projected travel time using the direct flight to LAX plus transfer to ONT.
Thanks Jerry, yes I’d normally rent and drive that sort of distance rather than take a cab. Judging by what others have said ONT looks like a good solution. I prefer smaller airports this looks like a good solution. Ive connected through DFW before but will check out the suggestion of PHX which I’ve only been through once before.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I’ve flown ONT-LAX with UA if that’s still an option.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC
When I was based in Canary Wharf I would gladly fly LCY with a connection in MAD or someplace just to avoid schleping out to LHR. Yes, LHR lounges are nice, if you even have time to enjoy them. i'd view your choice in the same light.

Burbank is also decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.