Is T3 so much worth a visit?

Old Oct 26, 17, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Is T3 so much worth a visit?

Let me explain.

In a few weeks I need to visit, at the same time, Southern Italy, Northern Spain and England departing from Northern Italy.

I've been researching different options and I came up with two equivalent options in terms of costs. Both include a train journey from Northern Italy to Southern Italy but then differentiate like this:

1) NAP-FCO-LHR (Alitalia) + LHR-BIO-LHR (BA)
2) NAP-MAD-BIO (Iberia) + BIO-LHR (BA)

Option nr. 2) would of course make me transit via Heathrow which is certainly busier than Madrid and would be slightly longer (but time is on my side).

The question I have is:

Is it worth visiting any of the lounges at London T3 and accept the "less convenient" layover in London rather than Madrid considering the better lounges?

Also consider the flight to BIO leaves in the morning (8.20 AM) so I guess lounge options at T3 might be limited?

What would you go for? Iberia, IB Lounges at MAD and slightly quicker layover or Alitalia+BA, LHR T3 lounges at breakfast and slightly longer layover?

Thanks
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Transfers for MAD and LHR aren't that dissimilar: MAD is a huge airport so plenty of walking, the main saving being a Schengen transfer without security. LHR is potentially more compact, but you can't avoid security.

T3 has 3 lounges to choose from, soon to be 4, and provided you aren't doing this on a Sunday morning, you probably want to try the Cathay lounge. This is at least as good, if not better than the Dalí lounge, which in any case is now closed for a few weeks. If you are Emerald in particular, LHR T3 is a good place for lounges!

Personally I'd go for the cheapest option.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Danusa86 View Post
Is it worth visiting any of the lounges at London T3 and accept the "less convenient" layover in London rather than Madrid considering the better lounges?
Stay clear of the T3 BA lounge. My personal favourite is the CX lounge at LHR T3: Nice view of the tarmac and better food offering than the BA lounge. YMMV. But hey you can test the BA, CX, AA and QF lounges and decide for yourself.

That said, apart from a very few exception, I would never make a more complicated detour to visit a lounge.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Transfers for MAD and LHR aren't that dissimilar: MAD is a huge airport so plenty of walking, the main saving being a Schengen transfer without security. LHR is potentially more compact, but you can't avoid security.

T3 has 3 lounges to choose from, soon to be 4, and provided you aren't doing this on a Sunday morning, you probably want to try the Cathay lounge. This is at least as good, if not better than the Dalí lounge, which in any case is now closed for a few weeks. If you are Emerald in particular, LHR T3 is a good place for lounges!

Personally I'd go for the cheapest option.
It would actually be a Sunday morning . Is the CX lounge closed then?
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
Stay clear of the T3 BA lounge. My personal favourite is the CX lounge at LHR T3: Nice view of the tarmac and better food offering than the BA lounge. YMMV. But hey you can test the BA, CX, AA and QF lounges and decide for yourself.

That said, apart from a very few exception, I would never make a more complicated detour to visit a lounge.
Is there a QF Lounge too?
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It opens at 0730 on a Sunday (usually 0530). The Qantas lounge should have been opened by now, but as tends to be the case, it seems a few weeks away judging from all the builders in there at night. Normally "new lounge" beats everyone else's lounge, so you may be lucky there, but I've no idea about the opening hours, there's a blank area on the door for that.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP
I did LHR to BIO 2 weeks ago (with Iberia via MAD) and similar to your routing from NAP, you would stay within T4 and not have to faff with T4S. However the Iberia Dali lounge in T4 is now closed for refurbishment (the nicer Velazquez one just reopened but in T4S sadly), this was literally yesterday so you will get vouchers instead.

If the lounge component is key to your trip then take the option with BA from T3 but don't make the mistake my brother made last week flying QF J and choose the worst one there (i.e. BA's lounge), go for the CX lounge but imminently the QF one is due to open next month so you may get to sample that.

As you may already know, the BIO lounge is not the prettiest but functional.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It opens at 0730 on a Sunday (usually 0530). The Qantas lounge should have been opened by now, but as tends to be the case, it seems a few weeks away judging from all the builders in there at night. Normally "new lounge" beats everyone else's lounge, so you may be lucky there, but I've no idea about the opening hours, there's a blank area on the door for that.
Interesting, I'll double check my options. Do you think the QF lounge will be open to Emeralds though? the Qantas website isn't very clear about that.

Passengers eligible to use the lounge will include:
  • Qantas Club members;
  • Qantas Business and First Class passengers
  • Platinum One, Platinum and Gold members of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program; and
  • Passengers travelling in tiered cabins on partner airlines with a QF code.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nh1980 View Post
I did LHR to BIO 2 weeks ago (with Iberia via MAD) and similar to your routing from NAP, you would stay within T4 and not have to faff with T4S. However the Iberia Dali lounge in T4 is now closed for refurbishment (the nicer Velazquez one just reopened but in T4S sadly), this was literally yesterday so you will get vouchers instead.

If the lounge component is key to your trip then take the option with BA from T3 but don't make the mistake my brother made last week flying QF J and choose the worst one there (i.e. BA's lounge), go for the CX lounge but imminently the QF one is due to open next month so you may get to sample that.

As you may already know, the BIO lounge is not the prettiest but functional.
Thanks. Hopefully QF will open by Nov. 19th
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:59 am

Interesting, I'll double check my options. Do you think the QF lounge will be open to Emeralds though? the Qantas website isn't very clear about that.
I think that's a traditional formula for Qantas, bearing in mind their complex arrangements between oneworld and betwixt Emirates. I suspect it will follow usual oneworld rules, but you'll have to check back here nearer the time to find out more. Personally I'd prefer Galleries First over Dalí, particularly the dining area, it will be very quiet on a Sunday, and Flagship isn't bad either, but each to their own.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
No. IIRC it just opens 2 hours later (around 8am rather than 6). Not sure though...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: