Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
The following geographic numbers are available to all:

0344 493 0747 for those calling from within the UK

+44 191 490 7901 for those calling from outside the UK

Calls to these numbers are included in all UK mobile and landline inclusive call allowances and are otherwise charged at standard call rates outside any inclusive allowance. Mobile roaming charges may apply if calling from outside the EU.
Print Wikipost

Phoned BA, put on hold. HUGE phone bill.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not sure why that is relevant? Are we only allowed to blame one party? Is there some kind of binary outcome I'm unaware of?
The OP is clearly angry for being charged 60 quid. Seems relevant then to point out that the money was charged by his operator and not BA as it may be the case with a few types of premium phone numbers.

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
You can drink the unbundling Kool Aid if you want to where every micro-transaction/action has to be a profit centre, but we don't all have to.
Have I said that my opinion is the one you should have? Why shouldn't I be able to voice my opinion? OP thinks that BA's practice is unethical. That's fine. Pointing out that the website containing all phone numbers available to customers contains the 0844-number only once with the warning that the number may be subject to surcharges imposed by operators should also be voiced here.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have never called an 08xx number (except freephone) since the first month I came to the UK and got an unexpected £5 bill after I was lied to by a phone salesman who said 08xx numbers were included in my plan.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA will hear about this. I have a lot of stamina - I can pretty much write for England during my commute to and from work. If that means using up all £60 (or hell, much more than that) of customer service hours rather than play some video game on my phone to kill time, I will.

They really need to come up with a reason why they want you to dial an 0844 number for one issue, but allow to dial 0344 numbers for other issues, when both lead to the same phone line. Was it a mistake on the website that they left ONE 0844 number? At the very least, I want them to change that.

Why do people on here think you should automatically dial the 0344 number even though your issue is firmly listed against the 0844 number? Do you think people have all the time in the world to figure out how to game the system all the time?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
But madfish... this is the thing. Some service numbers don't actually immediately go into the loop of hell! There is often a time where you just hear the phone ringing and sometimes it's combined with a message that they are busy, would you like to try later. You don't actually get charged anything for the wait!

It is wholly BA's choice to actually make the call 'LIVE' from the get-go.

This was during the time of that first hurricane in Florida. We weren't there, but were going to travel around that time, so had to call when loads of people were probably calling, too.
I do think that even 7p for BA is to much. But your fight should be with the Telephone Company for the 43p per minute that they charged you. That is outrageous!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
Why do people on here think you should automatically dial the 0344 number even though your issue is firmly listed against the 0844 number? Do you think people have all the time in the world to figure out how to game the system all the time?
Perhaps because you said in your original post that you wanted to speak to the BA Executive Club. Both the website and the image you've post show Executive Club calls go to the 0344 number.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
Perhaps because you said in your original post that you wanted to speak to the BA Executive Club. Both the website and the image you've post show Executive Club calls go to the 0344 number.
LondonTechTraveller As mentioned in one of my previous posts, BA’s phone numbers are different depending on the ‘reason of call’. For the reason I was calling I was meant to call the 0844 number! Although I don’t know why because the phone lines are essentially the same!

I may have said Executive Club before because the issue was something about Avios, which normally is an Executive Club issue but in this case it wasn’t. Again... why even the different numbers that go into the same line!

Last edited by Tinseltown; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Frankly, IMHO, this thread deserves Sticky status, with a very clear Wiki exposition of the 'correct' call numbers.

I'm not suggesting un-cloaking the BAEC status numbers, but a CLEAR statement of the general NOT-expenive numbers for BA world-wide. Populating the Wiki could be a valuable resource for so many people.
Knickam likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
When something like a weather event happens, BA should really cut their customers some slack and provide normal numbers.
They do. 0800 727 800 is activated during weather events and stuck up all over screens at main hubs.

Originally Posted by simons1
Originally Posted by nmh1204
Invoice them for the bill, and for your time too. If more people do it, they might get the message that we're not just sitting ducks while they s-t on us
Seriously, what do you think the point of that is? On what grounds do you think they will pay you anything?

You will simply get a canned reply, and they will file your invoice in the nearest shredder ready to be recycled into toilet paper or possibly even the Daily Mail.
Exactly.

The legal position is that premium numbers can be used for customers buying something new, but not servicing an existing purchase. The law gives a customer forced to pay a premium rate for servicing an existing purchase an entitlement to a refund of the call cost from the provider.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Frankly, IMHO, this thread deserves Sticky status, with a very clear Wiki exposition of the 'correct' call numbers.

I'm not suggesting un-cloaking the BAEC status numbers, but a CLEAR statement of the general NOT-expenive numbers for BA world-wide. Populating the Wiki could be a valuable resource for so many people.
BAEC status numbers are available to non-status. Do they not ask for your club number?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
BAEC status numbers are available to non-status. Do they not ask for your club number?
I'm sure they do. I believe if you are un-entitled to use that number, you are redirected ... but I may be wrong. Not something I have personally encountered, but ISTR reading that here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.