Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
The following geographic numbers are available to all:

0344 493 0747 for those calling from within the UK

+44 191 490 7901 for those calling from outside the UK

Calls to these numbers are included in all UK mobile and landline inclusive call allowances and are otherwise charged at standard call rates outside any inclusive allowance. Mobile roaming charges may apply if calling from outside the EU.
Print Wikipost

Phoned BA, put on hold. HUGE phone bill.

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
In the OP's case he/she seems to have been charged 50 per minute though and that's the subject of this thread. In the OP's case as noted BA 7p per minute, phone company 43p per minute.

Yes, the charges are DEFINITELY per minute!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Gshumway
Gotta love the US toll free number system. Most companies with call centers will have a toll free number and it doesn't cost you anything. Many nowadays even offer you a call back, so they can save the charges they have to pay for you waiting on the toll free number.
Agreed. The idea of paying a company for the privilege of speaking to them over the phone about our business blows my mind.

Can pax in the UK call the US toll free number via Skype or similar service?

What next, a charge for the fuel in the aircraft (oops, bad example).
Charging for seat selection in paid J also surprises me.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
How many times did you call and how long were you on hold each time? If you keep hanging up and trying again you inevitably end up at the back of the queue each time.

Unless the call is just allowed to ring, I was under the impression as soon as it connects then you are going to be charged.
I called about six times, most of the charges happened for the three last calls. Unfortunately, unlike that advert where the dad waited all day to get through ticket sales for a concert as a surprise for his daughter (how much did that phone call cost him?!), I have other things to do and sometimes can’t wait for BA to pick up the phone. So after waiting for like 20-40 mins, I do have to hang up due to other plans.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I didn't know that. So for 0844 I understand the charge is 7p per minute according to BA, and the other 43p per minute presumably is the OP's phone company. I would be quite annoyed as well if my phone company was adding such a hefty charge.
Correct. Daylight robbery.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Oh come on, you can’t be serious!

Leaving aside a £35 per person, per change fee for......telephone bookings or changes (!), why on earth should each phone call have to wash its face?! Isn’t that what the base fare is for?

What next, a charge for the fuel in the aircraft (oops, bad example).

Talk about drinking the unbundling Kool Aid
I was referring to the £10 offline booking fee. The change fee is something entirely different.

At the end of the day, many companies do not offer free phone calls. The issue the OP has is that they used their mobile which has much higher fees. The real issue here is with the phone operator. Without this the OPs cost would have been significantly lower. Assume BA receive 7p a minute then their take is £14.

Some operators include 0844 numbers is their call packagers.

I would also recommend the following saynoto0870.co.uk
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Charging for seat selection in paid J also surprises me.
Let’s not bring that old chestnut up into this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
I called about six times, most of the charges happened for the three last calls. Unfortunately, unlike that advert where the dad waited all day to get through ticket sales for a concert as a surprise for his daughter (how much did that phone call cost him?!), I have other things to do and sometimes can’t wait for BA to pick up the phone. So after waiting for like 20-40 mins, I do have to hang up due to other plans.
But you accept the overcharging you experience is not BA's fault?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
When in the UK I use Three UK Pay as you go on the mobile and similar to you said, they charge a 45p 'connection fee' then 7p a minute thereafter. So if you drop a call and call again, well you will end up with a expensive phone bill!...
I'm afraid that is incorrect, the 45p is not a one off 'connection fee', that is the total profit that goes to greedy Three telecom .... and it is 45p per minute! The 7p goes to the telephone company who provides the 0844 number and BA will receive a percentage of that 7p.In this example, Three is the greedy party because that 45p per minute is pure profit (after accounting for VAT of course).
madfish likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Presumably there is a geographic alternative to the 0844 number, no?
Yes there are 0208 numbers. Am I the only one that uses those?!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
BA gets the 7p a minute profit though! So they are making money from 0844 numbers when they really don't need to!
No, it doesn't. See my post above. BA will be lucky to get more than 2p per minute.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish

At the end of the day, many companies do not offer free phone calls. The issue the OP has is that they used their mobile which has muchThe real issue here is with the phone operator. Without this the OPs cost would have been significantly lower. Assume BA receive 7p a minute then their take is £14.

Some operators include 0844 numbers is their call packagers.

I would also recommend the following saynoto0870.co.uk
Madfish – most mobile phone companies charge that much. Vodafone charges 55p per minute.

Fact is that service numbers are usually answered quickly. You don’t wait 20-40 minutes with no one answering. But on those two days, loads of people were calling due to the hurricane. So it seems the model failed.

I wouldn’t make a fuss, if it cost me £15 and I was actually speaking to a BA person for 15 minutes or something. But having the phone go live whilst you wait and you’re not being ‘served’ is just bonkers!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I appreciate your frustration (I have been there many times with other companies). However, yiuacknowldged earlier that you anticipated it being busy (I’m paraphrasing here) so this may have impacted.

Ultinately there are two sides to this: wait times on BA (not good), and the charge that has been made by your phone operator.

Have you put a similar thread on any forums linked to your phone operator? What about something like moneyaavingexpert? Mumsnet etc to warm others of the problem to do with rip-off phone operators.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:47 am

But madfish... this is the thing. Some service numbers don't actually immediately go into the loop of hell! There is often a time where you just hear the phone ringing and sometimes it's combined with a message that they are busy, would you like to try later. You don't actually get charged anything for the wait!.
Don't be fooled by the 'ringing' tone. If you hear any message when calling 08 numbers then you can be certain that you are already being charged for the call and that you are in a call queuing or intelligent routing system ... and being charged for the pleasure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.