Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
The following geographic numbers are available to all:

0344 493 0747 for those calling from within the UK

+44 191 490 7901 for those calling from outside the UK

Calls to these numbers are included in all UK mobile and landline inclusive call allowances and are otherwise charged at standard call rates outside any inclusive allowance. Mobile roaming charges may apply if calling from outside the EU.
Print Wikipost

Phoned BA, put on hold. HUGE phone bill.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
BA gets the 7p a minute profit though! So they are making money from 0844 numbers when they really don't need to!
BA gets 7p
Phone company gets 43p

So who do you think is overcharging here? BA or the phone company?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
From what I know no, as i always do this with banks, I never use the 03 numbers of Lloyds for example.
I think it's up to who you are calling to implement one or not.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ringingup
Do they do any check on the geographical origin of the caller if you call the 012* number?
From what I recall they do, you can however swap the 08 for 03 and still get the BA Blue line (although I don't think BA make this clear).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA gets 7p
Phone company gets 43p

So who do you think is overcharging here? BA or the phone company?
And let’s also remember that this 7p per minute does not even cover BA’s overheads for the call. (I know we can argue that status members get free calls and there is fee for offline bookings as well),
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tinseltown
But madfish... this is the thing. Some service numbers don't actually immediately go into the loop of hell! There is often a time where you just hear the phone ringing and sometimes it's combined with a message that they are busy, would you like to try later. You don't actually get charged anything for the wait!

It is wholly BA's choice to actually make the call 'LIVE' from the get-go.

This was during the time of that first hurricane in Florida. We weren't there, but were going to travel around that time, so had to call when loads of people were probably calling, too.
How many times did you call and how long were you on hold each time? If you keep hanging up and trying again you inevitably end up at the back of the queue each time.

Unless the call is just allowed to ring, I was under the impression as soon as it connects then you are going to be charged.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:07 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:09 am

deleted

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Gotta love the US toll free number system. Most companies with call centers will have a toll free number and it doesn't cost you anything. Many nowadays even offer you a call back, so they can save the charges they have to pay for you waiting on the toll free number.
deeruck, ahmetdouas and Beltway2A like this.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No in this case the phone company gets 43 p for the whole call, BA gets 7 p a minute!

So it actually benefits them to have customers on hold as much as possible haha!
In the OP's case he/she seems to have been charged 50 per minute though and that's the subject of this thread. In the OP's case as noted BA 7p per minute, phone company 43p per minute.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:10 am

deleted

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:10 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
And let’s also remember that this 7p per minute does not even cover BA’s overheads for the call. (I know we can argue that status members get free calls and there is fee for offline bookings as well),
You could also argue that the product you have paid for / are paying for covers the overheads for this as well. @:-)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:12 am

deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
These call charges and call centres with English as their 3rd language are an insult to pax.

Another Brit co., BT who also have CS problems, now have all their call centres in or moving to their country of call, and use freephone numbers.

Both BA and BT are large Pension funds with a little business attached, so no reason for BA to be worse.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Oh come on, you can’t be serious!

Leaving aside a Ł35 per person, per change fee for......telephone bookings or changes (!), why on earth should each phone call have to wash its face?! Isn’t that what the base fare is for?

What next, a charge for the fuel in the aircraft (oops, bad example).

Talk about drinking the unbundling Kool Aid
aceman and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Presumably there is a geographic alternative to the 0844 number, no? A non-premium number has to be provided for post-sales service numbers in the UK and the Exec Club number would certainly fall within that definition so a non-0844 number has to be provided too and given the same prominence as the 0844 number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.