Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two very different First flights.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had five flights in BA F and not once had my bed made up or tidied away. I'd rather do it myself than have to ask then wait for someone to do it....that's all a bit being picky for my liking. Having the call bell go unanswered is not good though.

My flights were back in the good old days so it's nothing new.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I was going to post in the thread of yesterday about best flights - my very best F to date was LHR-MIA in F on the A380 last August. It was a wonderful flight, the crew were amazing and golden tickets duly handed out.

Such a shame you did not have this on the way out, it's more significant than a night flight
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I was going to post in the thread of yesterday about best flights - my very best F to date was LHR-MIA in F on the A380 last August. It was a wonderful flight, the crew were amazing and golden tickets duly handed out.

Such a shame you did not have this on the way out, it's more significant than a night flight
Well, other than comparing this to the return flight, over the past five or so years we've flown F LHR-MIA quite a few times actually. I'm using the previous flights as a point of reference but I agree, it used to be fantastic.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: BA silver
Interesting that I had similar(i.e contrasting) experiences on two recent F flights. My LHR-SJC flight in the new F suite on the 787-9 was great from an equipment point of view(recommend you try it if you can), but poor on cabin service. Crew seemed more interested in discussing what they were going to do in San Fran than looking after their customers. The return leg PHX-LHR was on G-CIVO which tbh has seen better days, but the crew were superbly attentive and professional and I told them and the CSD so. One of the best experiences I have had in 20 years of flying
As an aside the PHX lounge isn't to the standard it used to be. I know its was contracted out a while back. When I arrived it was in a dreadful mess and customers were told to wait 'a few minutes' whilst it was tidied up(there is only 1 flight per day). It finally opened 45 minutes later. Food was exactly the same as the shared business class lounge. Didn't feel premium like it used to!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ c-w-s - I have to say that some of your comments in reaction to such a poor experience as the one reported here by the OP do leave me scratching my head in sceptical bemusement.

On the matter of CSD's attention to detail, you say : "believe or not every CSD and CSM I have ever met is extremely keen that passengers leave their aircraft delighted with the flight"

Really ?? If all CSD's & CSM's are - allegedly - so keen that passengers should be delighted, then how is it that some can't even make time to offer a word of greeting to a high-value customer who has booked a ticket in the most expensive part of the aircraft ? That sort of couldn't-be-bothered attitude doesn't exactly spell 'keen' to me. The CSD is, after all, the face of the whole organisation to any F class passenger, once boarded.

You say also that "I can't really remember a bad BA flight ". Lucky you ! If only every other BA passenger (including me) could enjoy such good fortune when travelling with BA (unless perhaps you're using the wider definition of 'a good flight' as any flight you walk away from .....).

To my eyes, the OP has highlighted the fundamental reason (amongst others) why a significant number of people, whether here on FT or other travel-related sites, find some of their BA experiences to be disappointing, and often very much so : inconsistency of service standards.

We all have personal experience of outstanding BA crew and the top notch service they can deliver ; and any consequent praise is well-deserved. But, in my opinion, it also makes sense to acknowledge the (oft-reported) sheer lack of consistency of standards, rather than imply that shoddy service onboard BA is some sort of isolated, rare occurrence and totally uncharacteristic of the airline.

All airlines have their inconsistencies, for sure. But, within the context of all I have I used (approaching 90 in all) it's BA that stands out for me as the most inconsistent.

I'm not too surprised to read that the OP - who was a self-acknowledged staunch BA fan until now - senses their loyalty being tested.
710 77345, DYKWIA, seanp7 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
As an aside the PHX lounge isn't to the standard it used to be. I know its was contracted out a while back. When I arrived it was in a dreadful mess and customers were told to wait 'a few minutes' whilst it was tidied up(there is only 1 flight per day). It finally opened 45 minutes later. Food was exactly the same as the shared business class lounge. Didn't feel premium like it used to!
I imagine that a problem with the PHX lounge is that it is a Priority Pass lounge until 3:30 when it magically becomes a BA lounge. PP lounges are often busy and if the staff don't keep on top of cleaning then BA pax are liable to inherit a mess or have to wait for a turnround clean up.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
Crew seemed more interested in discussing what they were going to do in San Fran than looking after their customers.
I've had this twice on BA too. Goodness me, yes I know you're excited to leave the English weather for some sun in LA & shopping for x/y/z, but be discreet about it.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ c-w-s - I have to say that some of your comments in reaction to such a poor experience as the one reported here by the OP do leave me scratching my head in sceptical bemusement.

On the matter of CSD's attention to detail, you say : "believe or not every CSD and CSM I have ever met is extremely keen that passengers leave their aircraft delighted with the flight"

Really ?? If all CSD's & CSM's are - allegedly - so keen that passengers should be delighted, then how is it that some can't even make time to offer a word of greeting to a high-value customer who has booked a ticket in the most expensive part of the aircraft ? That sort of couldn't-be-bothered attitude doesn't exactly spell 'keen' to me. The CSD is, after all, the face of the whole organisation to any F class passenger, once boarded.
You really don’t understand how many other duties the SCCM has onboard, why should you, but BA have made it that we are part of the service in CW and giving these customers my full attention is a priority, greeting to First and GCHs come second and third.
I always manage these on day flights but on night departures it can be very difficult.
Please don’t judge a crew on if you do or do not get a SCCM welcome.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Duplicate

Last edited by Can I help you; Oct 26, 2017 at 10:19 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I find it hard to believe that BA staff eye rolled a First Class passenger who asked for another drink - esp when they'd made their own way to the galley.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:18 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I find it hard to believe that BA staff eye rolled a First Class passenger who asked for another drink - esp when they'd made their own way to the galley.
Why?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do too although there have been a few reports of some WW crew displaying such attitude towards passengers just to get their own back at management decisions.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by V10
Why?
Because it would be a ridiculous thing for a cabin crew member (especially one serving the F cabin) to do.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Because it would be a ridiculous thing for a cabin crew member (especially one serving the F cabin) to do.
If anyone providing a form of customer service rolled my eyes at me, they would get some feedback from me straight away.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:49 am

Going to someone's boss and saying that you're not getting enough alcohol fast enough on the plane is always a risky maneuver. Even when you get a good reaction and the crew member swapped out, you end up with cabin crew who know you are complaining about them. Such a shame.

I wish there was a way that the app could let people feedback on flights on a couple of areas using a 5 star system - passengers who want to feed back could fill in 30 seconds of time during the interminable wait for HAL's A380 jetbridges to attach, and across thousands of flights patterns would emerge that would allow specific training to take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.