Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two very different First flights.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
But it happens... I posted years ago about the time I decided I was hungry and wanted lunch. I asked the guy who had been looking after me for a menu. He rolled his eyes and said "I was just going on my break".

BA F is extremely inconsistent.

Maybe time for a variable pricing policy to reflect the inconsistency

Efficient, conscientious crew = full F fare

Poor, unprofessional crew = heavily discounted fare
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oh good. Another thread on the variability of First that has me wondering what to expect for our first such experience shortly. One question though. If the senior cabin crew person doesn't offer the greetings expected how does one know who to go to for the necessary ear-bending?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
A few thoughts...

1) I totally agree that speaking in person to a CSD is awkward when an issue arises. I totally understand why many would not. On that train of thought, I find Twitter to be fairly fantastic in this regard. I politely remember names of parties involved and let BA know via direct message. I'm not giving play by plays- but if something feels below standard, I think it is highly important to point out.

2) For me personally, I find the demeanor of the service to be a great indicator in my tolerance of mistakes. If someone is really trying and really keen to please- I will naturally forget little slips like sparkling water. If however the person is giving me the luke warm blanket, eye roll service my patience dries so quickly. Of course I desire polish in an F cabin, but above all I want to feel welcomed and appreciated on a very "we're pleased to serve you in our highest class of service today". Anything less, where simply requests feel like a chore just ruin an experience- even first class, especially first class. When you hit that point it's almost more fun and amusing to have a personable crew in WTP .

OP, sorry about your experience. No fun.
subject2load likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by DrGee
....................... If the senior cabin crew person doesn't offer the greetings expected how does one know who to go to for the necessary ear-bending?
Ha ha ! Good question.

If you're following the hierarchy principle, the most senior person onboard any aircraft is of course the Captain. Problem there is that a) he/ she has other priorities and b) you won't normally have access to him/her anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oh good. Another thread on the variability of First that has me wondering what to expect for our first such experience shortly. One question though. If the senior cabin crew person doesn't offer the greetings expected how does one know who to go to for the necessary ear-bending?
I'm sure you'll enjoy the whole experience.

At the end of the day it's only a flight on a flippin' aeroplane.
DrGee likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
We came back from MIA to LHR in F a couple of weeks ago and the service and crew were outstanding. Didn't see the CSD though, not a problem.

However the F checkin was atrocious, extremely slow and with rude staff, and the AA lounge was as usual pretty rubbish. Trying to find the BA drop off was fun as it is no longer signed.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Its a shame when this happens as not only the customer is let down, but they let down their co-workers as well.

I too tend to find being shown to your seat or a greeting / chat with the CSM/CSD is indicative of the service you will receive.

It shouldnt be inconsistent, but human beings arent robots and some will delight more than others.

Thats no excuse and Im not sticking up for BA or the crew person in particular.

The service should be impeccable, as I see that as they key reason why one would fly F (apart from the smaller cabin) versus CW (apart from the A380 in F).

I would have commented on board if it happened, unless I felt it wouldnt do any good.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
it'll be fine. The issues such as experienced by the poster, is not that commonplace. Its our nature to say nothing if service is as expected , but to comment, rightly so, if the service doesnt come up to scratch.

Im sure you will have a great time.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
It will be the person wearing a black and silver tie or cravat as opposed to the blue and red tie/cravat worn by the rest. I think their name badge will also state their rank. On long haul they will serving in the Club World cabin.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not convinced that is a good approach, I'd suggest something quite quiet and discreet, where no-one else apart from the SCCM can hear, along the lines of "I'm really sorry to trouble you, and it's probably just me being cranky, but I'm really struggling to enjoy this flight, due to x, y and z. Can you have a look into it please when you have a moment?" Ideally the reply would be "I'm sorry to hear that, leave it to me", and that will do the trick. But doubtless other approaches are valid!
The passenger is complaining, not confessing to being the problem!

I think a straight explanation of the problem, and a request for the situation to improve would suffice, although I also get that it could be somewhat awkward if the complained about crew member was still serving me for next xx hours.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
We came back from MIA to LHR in F a couple of weeks ago and the service and crew were outstanding. Didn't see the CSD though, not a problem.

However the F checkin was atrocious, extremely slow and with rude staff, and the AA lounge was as usual pretty rubbish. Trying to find the BA drop off was fun as it is no longer signed.
Yes we found F check in at MIA rude too (perhaps rude is a bit too strong a word in our case, but the person serving us had a bit of attitude)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo

The service should be impeccable, as I see that as they key reason why one would fly F (apart from the smaller cabin) versus CW (apart from the A380 in F).

Given the typical cost of First class flights, the service should indeed be impeccable. And yet, in all fairness, some issues that caused the OP to post here would in fact have been pretty disappointing in any business class worthy of the name - let alone First.

These grievances were hardly reflective of some sense of great expectations on the part of the OP. It's actually pretty basic stuff, regardless of how important (or not) one views the absence of a proper greeting at the time of boarding or soon after :

"Plates, cutlery, and paraphernalia cleared. My glass was also taken away. No offer of a refill. After 20 or 30 minutes, I press my call button, nothing. I then head to the galley and ask for another drink, I get an eye-roll (I've had two drinks btw, hardly smashed out of my face that warrants an eye roll). The drink arrives and it goes down well. I feel like a naughty child for daring to ask so I didn't bother with another.

After watching a film, I doze and decide to ask for my bed to be made. I wait, and wait, and wait... this then happens. After two hours of sleeping (it's very easy on the A380) - I change back into my day clothes and head back to my seat. The bed is still made up, not the end of the world, I clear it myself. It then sits rolled up above the wardrobe until just before landing. It was ignored for about two hours. I'm feeling risky, so I ask for a glass of fizz.
"
rossmacd likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Given the typical cost of First class flights, the service should indeed be impeccable. And yet, in all fairness, some issues that caused the OP to post here would in fact have been pretty disappointing in any business class worthy of the name - let alone First.
I agree with all of your comments in this thread, but we have to remember that BA First is relatively cheap versus other proper first class offerings, and therefore expectations should be lower (certainly mine are).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I agree with all of your comments in this thread, but we have to remember that BA First is relatively cheap versus other proper first class offerings, and therefore expectations should be lower (certainly mine are).

Your point is well-made (although they're not always cheaper, IME)

I guess what you're saying is that much of the blurb put out by BA on their official website should be taken with a pinch of salt .....?

At least where it comes to matching other carriers in terms of self-promotion, ba.com shows impressive powers of description - even if the real-life experience can turn out to be somewhat different :

"...........your ticket to exceptional comfort and impeccable service in our most elegant surroundings

............the finest way to travel

.............exclusive and attentive service
"*

*eye-rolling not yet available on all our flights ; due to be rolled-out (geddit ?) network-wide during 2018
pheonix254 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd suggest something quite quiet and discreet, where no-one else apart from the SCCM can hear, along the lines of "I'm really sorry to trouble you, and it's probably just me being cranky......
Originally Posted by HilFly
The passenger is complaining, not confessing to being the problem!

I think a straight explanation of the problem, and a request for the situation to improve would suffice, although I also get that it could be somewhat awkward if the complained about crew member was still serving me for next xx hours.
Indeed I also found that slightly odd....why would the OP start by apologising and suggesting it's their fault? Maybe it's a British thing.

But I agree, the time to address it is there and then. It hasn't got to be personal, you just need to say to the SCCM "I'm really not happy because of x, y and z, can you please investigate and get back to me".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.