FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   British Airways Hiring Cabin Crew (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1873941-british-airways-hiring-cabin-crew.html)

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 17 5:42 am

British Airways Hiring Cabin Crew

deleted

ajeleonard Oct 25, 17 5:44 am

I assume they are always hiring due to high turnover

Flame3601 Oct 25, 17 5:47 am

Interesting , Delta also hiring right now as well. Wonder if it is high turnover or a couple new routes coming ...?

UKtravelbear Oct 25, 17 5:48 am

BA is always recruiting cabin crew - it's to replace the staff BA has hacked off for various reasons! It's not a sign they are growing just maintaining levels.

I think some of the staffers on here would have something to say about the earnings listed in the advert as well!

SvenAge Oct 25, 17 5:48 am

deleted

Misco60 Oct 25, 17 5:52 am

A starting salary of 12,638 (none of the other elements they include in the package is guaranteed) is genuinely shocking, and quite distresses me. Is this the price we pay for cheap air travel?

mikeyfly Oct 25, 17 5:52 am

A retired police officer (well actually a lot higher than this - but can't remember title!) I know took a giant pension and went and joined MF 5/6 years ago. Has loved it - all the travel perks, with their disposable income, it seems a great way to see the world

rossmacd Oct 25, 17 5:57 am

Originally Posted by SvenAge (Post 28974292)
Good to see generous salary and conditions on offer.

The salary and conditions are driven by the market, and the fares that consumers are willing to pay.

Based on the number of people willing to travel the world for a couple of years in return for a job, the salaries are based on supply and demand. And BA know it, and will exploit that.

rossmacd Oct 25, 17 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 28974306)
Is this the price we pay for cheap air travel?

It is.

Can I help you Oct 25, 17 6:08 am

I wouldn’t recommend anyone to join BA as cabin crew!

PUCCI GALORE Oct 25, 17 6:13 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 28974308)
A retired police officer (well actually a lot higher than this - but can't remember title!) I know took a giant pension and went and joined MF 5/6 years ago. Has loved it - all the travel perks, with their disposable income, it seems a great way to see the world

I've flown with him - he is excellent - but then he does not depend on a paltry sum like this to live.

WorldLux Oct 25, 17 6:20 am

Is this the price we pay for cheap air travel?

Yes. QF hires waiters at their LHR lounge for 8.75/hour.

jday Oct 25, 17 6:21 am

2.95 per hour... ouch

Ldnn1 Oct 25, 17 6:24 am

A starting salary of 12,638 (none of the other elements they include in the package is guaranteed) is genuinely shocking, and quite distresses me.

To be fair, any active crew member is guaranteed higher than this since they will get flying hours.

I don't know how sick/maternity/disciplinary pay is applied for those not flying though.

UKTraveller4Fun Oct 25, 17 6:25 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 28974324)
The salary and conditions are driven by the market, and the fares that consumers are willing to pay.

Based on the number of people willing to travel the world for a couple of years in return for a job, the salaries are based on supply and demand. And BA know it, and will exploit that.

I do agree and let's be honest it is not just BA or the airline industry who do this. It would be wonderful if it was different but truth is markets dictate the fare and while yes BA will get poorer staff by paying less equally do you really think other airlines are any different and offer so much more as if they do why don't people go for those jobs instead.

This is the world we live in and next you buy an item of clothing I bet you the person who made it was paid substantially less and live in worse conditions than the cabin crew. I am not saying I agree with it, simply to think BA would exist if it suddenly offered more pay I am afraid is not the world these days.