British Airways Hiring Cabin Crew

Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Svenage sorry mate...but are you a troll?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:52 pm

deleted

Last edited by SvenAge; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:16 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Basically what I was getting at. Job cuts are often roundly applauded by the folks in those locations (with apologies to the folks posting here who spend a lot of time in those locations, and the handful I met flying BA 1 a while back, my intent was not to put you in a box and do not take offence as the characterisation does not apply to every individual), no matter whether it is actually a smart move to do so or not. Sometimes wage/job cuts are best for business, sometimes they aren't. Some wage/job cuts cut the fat, some cut the bone. But many of the trader types act as though most wage/job cuts are cutting only fat no matter the underlying realities. As noted, there is a major cost involved with recruiting, and then training new employees. There will always be a natural turnover of employees with any business, from BA to M&S to the corner pub, but creating artificial turnover can drive these less visible costs up significantly. Paying people the rates BA is advertising here, considering the cost of living anywhere near London, is unlikely to engender loyalty. BA has clearly decided that these rates make sense for their business model, and that the job market replies favorably enough to these rates. Whether it is shortsighted or not only time will tell.
I am way too old and thick skinned to take offence (and in any case this is the internet, so usual internet rules apply). But I would say this. I am in fact one of those 'City / Canary Wharf / Wall St' type folks and frankly when I see job cuts these days it's quite possible that where I am seeing them is in my own office, or those of my friends and colleagues. Now while that may not engender much sympathy amongst non finance folk (can we say 'schadenfreude' boys and girls), the notion that all bar a fairly narrow handful have that Gordon Gecko type view of cost cutting is, I think, a tad distorted. It's a service industry. Yes I do a job that is extremely complex and, after 20 years getting steadily better and more experienced at it I get paid reasonably well for my troubles, but it's a customer service profession like any other.

I have a family and a mortgage and I pay all my taxes, and that is the same for the people around me. And in my firm for example, the cost cutting has a huge impact on the quality of product I can deliver. Which irks. And in my industry what we're seeing is a 'juniorisation' of the skill base. Who do you cut? an MD? or 10 jnr employees for the same saving?

Given the fact that this latest seal cull effectively started in 2008, I think we are long past cutting the 'fat'. And so I appreciate the fact that this is true of other industries also.

But the applications to join don't seem to be drying up. So there is one less natural brake on this trend. And I guess we get to find out whether that's still true for airlines too. See what the CC and Pilot applications look like in a few weeks time.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ermis177
I went once to the open day and managed to pass all the tests etc apart from the final interview (i was not going to take the job anyway as i had a better job offer the same week). The majority of people are either young females who things being a FA is like 20 years ago or males (usually LGBT) that like the idea of flying abroad. The salary is quite low unless you live close to the airports etc but of course they make a big presentation when you get there. You know working for BA blah blah etc. The really sad thing is that after all the assesments and before the final interview we were a bunch of 20 people or so left and they said they will provide lunch ( bear in mind the whole assesment was about 8 hours!). The lunch was a small bag of crisps and a ham and cheese tesco sandwich. That was during 2015. I will not be shocked if they dont provide any lunch nowadays or maybe just the crisps....
Someone I had lunch with recently at another airline told me they once interviewed with BA for a management role. They booked a flight for the interview. BA moved the interview date. BA would not refund the cost of the first flight .... booked on BA.
adrianlondon, T8191 and ermis177 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Someone I had lunch with recently at another airline told me they once interviewed with BA for a management role. They booked a flight for the interview. BA moved the interview date. BA would not refund the cost of the first flight .... booked on BA.

In the words of Austin Powers.... "Ouch Baby, very ouch!"
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Raffles
BA didn't provide a ticket for the interview? Things are going down
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's not the worst paid job out there, but compared to living cost in and around London it's not generous either.
I'd like to throw out that as a supervisor in a Central London pub I only get Ł8.25. I have to pay Zone 2 rent prices etc, whereas I suspect staff at LHR would be paying cheaper prices associated with areas around the airport. So, it's ok for hospitality but not great.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by Leeski
I'd like to throw out that as a supervisor in a Central London pub I only get Ł8.25. I choose to pay Zone 2 rent prices etc, whereas I suspect staff at LHR would be paying cheaper prices associated with areas around the airport. So, it's ok for hospitality but not great.
FTFY
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by Leeski
I'd like to throw out that as a supervisor in a Central London pub I only get Ł8.25. I have to pay Zone 2 rent prices etc, whereas I suspect staff at LHR would be paying cheaper prices associated with areas around the airport. So, it's ok for hospitality but not great.
What do the people you supervise get
So much for London Living Wage...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:48 am

This made me laugh.

Before submitting your application review what you’ve written to make sure it accurate and error-free.
Taken from the BA site: https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/applicationprocess/
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
I assume they are always hiring due to high turnover
At a maximum of about US$27,000, I can see why. You could make more money as a bartender or waiter at a restaurant or hotel. McDonald's around where I live pays $11 an hour.

Then again, being a flight attendant shouldn't really be a career.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
At a maximum of about US$27,000, I can see why. You could make more money as a bartender or waiter at an upscale restaurant or hotel.
Not in the UK...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I remember staying at the fabulous [mod: hotel name redacted] in downtown San Francisco for a week. It's the hotel also used by the British Airways crew. Every day for seven days there was a new crew coming in.

I remember overhearing some of the younger flight attendants complain at the pool about passengers in business-class on the flight they just serviced. None of them seemed to understand (1) how much business-class costs and (2) that people who pay that much money have certain expectations.

Part of the problem, of course, is the pay for these flight attendants is so low that few of them probably have ever been in a position where they could afford international travel in business-class, let alone first-class. Thus, they have no idea.

I remember reading about the famed Peninsula chain of hotels. They give each of their new hires a free weekend stay at one of their hotels, all of which are five-star hotels (often in the top five hotels in every market). They do this because they want their staff, across every department, to understand what their guests expect.
ahmetdouas likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 30, 2017 at 4:25 pm Reason: Remove CC hotel name for privacy
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We have never stayed at the [mod: hotel name redacted] in San Francisco.
DYKWIA, flygirl68 and renwaldo like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 30, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:49 am

Surely that, although a valid point, can be addressed with the right training. But I agree that actually it's not a bad idea. Pick a lightly loaded route and send them out and back. CIHY - what do you think? I have no idea of sheer numbers of candidates they'd need to do this for.

But alternatively, there are cabin sims just like there are flight deck sims aren't there? So it's do-able on the ground too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.